| FTBL UA leads the nation again for the 5th time in 6 years...

TerryP

Staff
...off the football front, but it's worth posting.

For the fifth time in six years, the University of Alabama leads the nation in students selected by USA Today for its All-USA Academic Team.

UA students fill seven of the 80 spots on the team. One student, UA senior Renee Rivas, made the first team, which gets the lion's share of ink in today's edition of the national newspaper.

Along with a feature in the 2.3-million circulation USA Today newspaper, first-team members receive $2,500.

This is not the first time Richardson, Texas, native Rivas has been nominated, but it's the first year she's made the team. Helping her case was co-authoring on a paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

'It's rare for an undergrad student to co-author any paper, especially a high-impact paper in a respected journal,' said Guy Caldwell, who oversees a biological research lab that has produced three USA Today first-team students.

Published in January, the lab team found genes that could protect against Parkinson's disease, a neurological disorder affecting about 1 million Americans. During the research, Rivas independently created an effective strategy to screen the genes, Caldwell said.

'It took our work to the next level,' he said.

In addition to doing research, she also is a mentor who tutors elementary school children.

Though grades are important to their decision, the USA Today team selects undergraduates who take what they learn beyond the classroom. About 500 students were nominated for this year's team.

UA has a first-team selection, three second-team selections and three third-team selections.

Yale University had the second-most selections with five students — two on the first-team, two on the second-team and a third-team member. In Alabama, only the University of Alabama at Birmingham had a selection with a member of the third team.

Read more here from the Tuscaloosa News

Not to be outdone, the barners released an official statement late Thursday afternoon claiming that they have more students residing in trailers than any other public or private university in the nation.

Porterhouse said:
Not to be outdone, the barners released an official statement late Thursday afternoon claiming that they have more students residing in trailers than any other public or private university in the nation.

Rings are being ordered as we speak.

Porterhouse said:

And they lead the nation in barnyard pregnancies.

Porterhouse said:
Seriously, Dr. Witt is the man.

To that, there is no doubt. After dealing with Presidents that couldn't realize the balance that strong athletic programs contribute to strong academic programs we have the right guy in place.

To add a note, and some may already know this, Harvard (yes, Harvard) can't claim as many Academic All-American's as Alabama can...that, is a statement in itself.

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

To that, there is no doubt. After dealing with Presidents that couldn't realize the balance that strong athletic programs contribute to strong academic programs we have the right guy in place.

To add a note, and some may already know this, Harvard (yes, Harvard) can't claim as many Academic All-American's as Alabama can...that, is a statement in itself.

That's what sticks out the most every year. And they be thinkin we don't have any learnin down here or somethun. :D

Tommy Tubberville's response:

" We don't concern ourselves with some magazine sayin' that they got gooder students that we got. We just try to get students with character....whether they can spell it or not."

Wiseace615 said:
Tommy Tubberville's response:

" We don't concern ourselves with some magazine sayin' that they got gooder students that we got. We just try to get students with character....whether they can spell it or not."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

where do we rank on tom luginbill master rankings? :D

Porterhouse said:

This wasnt a fair contest :wink:

It would have an * beside it in that no other school had enough percentage to qualify.

TerryP said:

yeah, but can you compare Harvard and Alabama? i'm not saying Alabama is a cake walk, but can't we expect that Harvard's programs demand a bit more from their students?

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

Along with the ring presentation ceremony, Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville is going to be the keynote speaker. Highlights of his speech will include the trailer dwellers 'outstanding character and couch discipline'.

Swamptick said:
TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

Along with the ring presentation ceremony, Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville is going to be the keynote speaker. Highlights of his speech will include the trailer dwellers 'outstanding character and couch discipline'.

Not to mention the "Peoples Barnyard"

To be honest, I did my graduate work at Carnegie Mellon University, and I really wasn't challenged any more than I was at Alabama. Actually I felt like once I got in there, I just cruised right on through. The only real challenge was getting in to the school, which was a long and kind of difficult process.

I think Ivy League schools compared to state schools are a lot like college football recruiting. The Ivy League schools and great academic institutions become what they are by getting the 4 and 5 star recruits of the academic world, whereas the state schools get the 2 to 4 star individuals. Some schools, like Alabama, in my opinion, do a very good job of developing their more motivated students into successful students. Meanwhile the traditional academic powerhouses just have a larger percentage of people on the campus that have a great potential to excel academically and have a high level of academic motivation.

I really do feel as though the classes at 'Bama were just as tough. I also felt that at CMU they really brought you along more, or it could be said that they held your hand more. At Alabama, it really was more of an individual effort, maybe that is a good thing, maybe not. But I think that it might be even more difficult to get to the level of an academic All-American from a state school than an institution that you would expect to produce them. either way were talking about really smart and motivated students, they should all be proud of the accomplishment.

Tider 27 said:
TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:

That's what sticks out the most every year. And they be thinkin we don't have any learnin down here or somethun. :D

27, shouldn't that be "we don't have no learnin down here"? :D

Back
Top Bottom