Tuscaloosa Discussion thread

bamaraider

Verified Member
Trying to get your mind off of the game, this thread is about the great city of Tuscaloosa. We can talk about things in Tuscaloosa, or we can talk about what things can be done to make Tuscaloosa even better.

I'll start, the Mexican restaurants suck.

I’ve not lived there in 15 years, however, I was rather fond of Pepito’s when I did live there.

Over the past 15 years, the city has seen a lot of growth. In my opinion, traffic is becoming a problem (ironic coming from someone in Atlanta I know). The bypass seems to have done little to alleviate congestion on 82 so they need another solution.

They could also improve the city by building a new hospital. Druid City is becoming very outdated and they need a new facility. They were talking about this 15 years ago and I see they have still done nothing about it.

Very true. The downtown area needs some work. Last time I was there, it just seemed abandoned. That old traditional law where you can't do anything to the buildings is just killing the scenery.

I did see that they were building something new as soon as you hit University BLVD. Not sure what that is.

I’ve not lived there in 15 years, however, I was rather fond of Pepito’s when I did live there.

Over the past 15 years, the city has seen a lot of growth. In my opinion, traffic is becoming a problem (ironic coming from someone in Atlanta I know). The bypass seems to have done little to alleviate congestion on 82 so they need another solution.

They could also improve the city by building a new hospital. Druid City is becoming very outdated and they need a new facility. They were talking about this 15 years ago and I see they have still done nothing about it.

A cold beer, chips and their white cheese sauce, took up an hour of my day many a time. I had so much reading in school I couldn't begin to count the hours I sat at the bar, reading assigned material, with those "sides."

This was back when the International Deli was still open...great beer selection, grab a table in the back corner of the bar and you're set.

DCH is a must! It's been sanctioned to close so many times by the Health Department for staph infections and the like it's scary. I was shocked when I researched the story behind Prothro's break, the infections there, etc.

Anyone know if they are going to add more to the Midtown Village? There is still a giant hole where the tornado went through. I hope they are rebuilding in that area or adding a plaza or something.

The only good Mexican restaurant is El Rincon, 2 locations... 1 on the Strip and 1 in Northport. I love it.

They are going to go ahead with another shopping center where Cedar Crest was (near Krispy Kreme), but they are slow in getting everything approved. It's gonna make traffic a nightmare though.

We need a Costco and. Whataburger. If I was Northport, I'd be doing whatever I could to get a Costco.

Last edited:
I used to love that Japanese hibachi place (can't remember the name) just over the bridge and to the right going toward Northport. A guy named Peter was my favorite chef. I have lived in Michigan for the past 16 years but love to visit T-town when I can. Still love Dreamland. I really miss Tuscaloosa. Thanks, BR

We enjoy eating at the City cafe in Northport. Several artsy shops for the girls to browse around in as well.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s, my roommates and I spent hundreds (lunch was still $3.35) at City Cafe. I still go there when I am in town. No exaggeration here. Every. Single. Friday night from the fall of '89 to ...'93 (?) I had wings at Baumhowers. To this day I have never tried anything else from there. Just wings. No one makes wings like Baumhowers.

Mexican restaurants...I loved La Fiesta. I still have a mug from the place. It was really good food at a really good price. I was quite disappointed when it went out of business and a Chinese place moved in.

The only good Mexican restaurant is El Rincon, 2 locations... 1 on the Strip and 1 in Northport. I love it.

They are going to go ahead with another shopping center where Cedar Crest was (near Krispy Kreme), but they are slow in getting everything approved. It's gonna make traffic a nightmare though.

We need a Costco and. Whataburger. If I was Northport, I'd be doing whatever I could to get a Costco.

Milo's needs to rebuild. Whataburger would make a go of it.
Amphitheater is nice.
I think Tuscaloosa is a little too small with a quick dropoff in density, and too close to Hoover, for a Costco. It would be nice, though.

RTR,

Tim

Here's a good article I found from The Crimson White

http://cw.ua.edu/2013/11/19/university-downtown-must-become-connected/

The city of Tuscaloosa actually has a downtown area that is roughly double that of Athens, Ga. Unfortunately, it is so underused you’d never know it. Tuscaloosa is less of a city and more a weak grouping of separate and fractured communities. The University, Downtown, the River Walk, Alberta City, Cottondale and the Midtown area all exist almost independent of each other.The city of Tuscaloosa has almost no walking or bilking paths that connect all of these individual areas. This is a huge economic detriment to the area because students are unable or unwilling to head downtown to further stimulate economic development.
Athens is often held as the gold standard of college towns in the south because it has completely synergized the University of Georgia and the surrounding community. This synergy has created a vibrant night life that has fostered healthy economic development in the area. The University of Alabama and the city of Tuscaloosa both need to do a better job not just developing the downtown area, but also facilitating a constant influx of students into the community. This will help create a sustainable, student driven nightlife in downtown, which will continue to stimulate the economic development of Tuscaloosa.
How many people have actually walked from campus to the downtown area? The real detriment to the growth of our downtown is that the walkways down University Boulevard aren’t lit well enough for students to feel safe. From the end of the Stripe to Innisfree, the path is almost completely unlit and is littered with dark, closed businesses; moreover, the path continuing past Innisfree into downtown is just as bad.
This real or perceived lack of safety goes a long way in preventing students from venturing past campus and the couple blocks that surround it. It is this lack of an integrated system between campus and the surrounding community that massively hinders the economic growth of our town.
However, this problem is further complicated by the building of hotels downtown. The New Embassy Suites being built downtown will be limited in its benefits to Tuscaloosa by these issues. These hotels are going to thrive on their close proximity to campus, meaning that their patrons won’t have to drive to campus for gameday. Unfortunately, this plan will only be successful if there is a clear, walkable and safe pathway connecting downtown to campus. There is plenty of economic development going on in downtown Tuscaloosa; however, this activity will fail if students don’t take an interest in downtown.
Tuscaloosa is undergoing a time of change. With more money than ever flowing into the University and city, there is an active push to build up the local economy by synergizing it with campus. However, this economic activity is only half of the equation. The investments currently being made in downtown Tuscaloosa can only be sustained by student activity. The University and the city of Tuscaloosa both need to have a prolonged commitment to fostering a healthy influx of students into downtown Tuscaloosa.

I would love for Tuscaloosa to emulate something like this

rockridge1.jpg

If you have time, take a look at Rockridge Oakland. Its a very business place and virtually one of few reasons I would ever visit Oakland. I see a ton of businesses in Tuscaloosa, but its very spread out. University BLVD is great, but something like this in more places would make Tuscaloosa even more attractable.

Last edited:
They are building another shopping center over behind Krispy Kreme where the tornado wiped out all of those residential homes. I heard a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Whole Foods, and other stores will be occupying that space.

The article about Athens in the Crimson White is spot on. I grew up about 45 miles from Athens, Georgia and visit there even today. It is definitely the best college campus I have ever been on or seen. Alabama's campus is amazing, but like was mentioned, there is nothing connecting it to the bars, downtown, or any of the surrounding areas. I was pretty disappointed in Tuscaloosa's "downtown" since I had Athens pictured. Tuscaloosa has a great night life and the bars I have been to are nice, but it needs to be cleaned up. The bar Rounders on University built everything except the actual structure of beams and such, and it looks awesome! If more money could be put into the revamping of the older buildings it would be amazing on The Strip. Gotta have some money come through their though.

I agree completely about Athens being the best college town. I think the main thing that holds back the downtown area is that some of the buildings are on historical registry, so you cannot touch them.

Back
Top Bottom