| PRO Trent Richardson can't practice as Oakland Raiders open training camp

He's now asking to play special teams according to team sources tweeted out yesterday. It seems if he's asking to play special teams he doesn't feel to confident in making the rb rotation.

Can't say that I've ever heard anyone say this before.

"I don't know [if] they was trying to get me to lose muscle mass, but that's hard," said Richardson. "It's hard to lose muscle mass. You only got 7-percent body fat, six and seven. Even when I was a little heavier, I only had 10% body fat so it was kind of hard saying you're going to lose muscle mass and came to find out I got real big bones too. They X-rayed by body, it was kind of crazy, I'm one of the shortest guys on the team and I got the biggest bones on the team."

• i

Bill Williamson, ESPN Staff Writer
NAPA, Calif. -- Trent Richardson is finally starting his quest to reclaim a once-promising NFL career.

The former Alabama star running back practiced Thursday with the Oakland Raiders for the first time this training camp after missing the first five days of camp practice while on the non-football illness list.

Richardson on Thursday said he was battling pneumonia for a couple of weeks before the start of camp but is feeling well now.

Oakland coach Jack Del Rio had said Richardson worked himself down to the 220-pound range. He was reportedly weighing in the 240s last season in Indianapolis.

Latavius Murray this season, but undrafted rookie Michael Dyer has put pressure on Richardson by having a strong first week. Dyer missed his first practice of training camp Thursday for an undisclosed reason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13389136/trent-richardson-oakland-raiders-practices-1st-camp

People tend to forget that Trent had a great season with Cleveland as a rookie. Indy did not work out and regardless of how Trent felt about the team, it was disappointing to read his comments.

The Raiders run offense is similar to what Alabama ran when Trent was enrolled. Now that Trent is cleared to practice, hopefully he will start to turn heads. Trent will have plenty of opportunity to do so during the preseason.

Hey guys, being I'm a raiders fan I keep up with them a lot. Here's the latest update on Trent. Doesn't sound to promising. Seems the weight loss hasn't help his ability to burst through the line. Here's a "camp note" I found on one of the Raiders' forums I frequent.

Meanwhile, Trent Richardson, who is supposed to be his primary competition, still can't seem to get more than a couple yards past the line of scrimmage, Helu isn't practicing, and Michael Dyer and Taiwan Jones are battling for the remaining running back spot.

I watched the Raiders/Rams preseason game last night. Coop looked awesome! He's going to be a force in the NFL. Trent on the other hand. I don't think much has changed with him. His longest run was 6 yards but his vision is awful. He missed hole after hole after hole and is very slow to the line of scrimmage, has trouble finding the correct hole to run through and normally just ran into the back of his own linemen. I'd be surprised if he makes the team (unless he shows drastic improvement).

Back
Top Bottom