| MBB/WBB Tide moves to 3-0 : Alabama -73 ~ South Alabama - 68

Hope it's not just me either, but I can go without Eli Gold calling a basketball game.

I'm not a fan of his voice. He's not the kind of play by play guy I enjoy, whether it's football or basketball. I grew up listening to Larry Munson, so I'm used to that. Eli just isn't my cup of tea for a game call, but there are plenty here that absolutely love him.

Team Stats​

• Alabama improved to 3-0 to start a season for the first time since starting the 2017-18 campaign at 5-0
  • The Tide won its 13th consecutive home contest, which is the most since winning a school record 24-straight home games from March, 2010 to December, 2011
  • Bediako became the first Tide player to swat five shots in a game since Donta Hall did so on Jan. 27, 2018
  • The contest featured eight ties and six lead changes, with the Tide leading for 19:28 compared to the Jaguars leading for 15:44
  • Alabama shot 44.3 percent (27-of-61) on the night, while holding the Jaguars to 38.5 percent from the floor (25-of-65)
  • Ellis tied a career-high 18 points, which was set vs. Louisiana Tech in the first game of the season
  • Miles recorded his third game of double-figure scoring on the season and led all players with a plus-minus of +10
  • Bediako won the Hard Hat Award

First Half​

• The Tide got things going early on Tuesday night, jumping out to a 10-2 lead at the first media timeout thanks to a quick four points from Shackelford and a three from Ellis
  • The Jaguars would answer by outscoring Alabama 22-9 over the next 7:51 to take a five-point lead at 24-19 with 8:25 left in the opening stanza
  • Ellis and Shackelford combined to account for 15 of the Tide’s first 19 points to begin the game
  • After USA took a 32-26 lead with 1:22 left to play, Alabama scored five of the final seven points in the half to trail by three at intermission, 35-32

Second Half​

• Alabama forced the Jaguars into using their first timeout of the half with only 18:45 on the second half game clock after Noah Gurley and Bediako converted back-to-back buckets from inside the paint to take a one-point lead, 35-34
  • After going back-and-forth over the next several minutes, Ellis drained a three-pointer from the corner to give the Tide the lead for good at 52-51 with 10:42 mark
  • That trey would jumpstart a 10-0 run over the next 3:07 that gave Alabama its largest lead of the game, 59-51, with 8:14 remaining
  • However, the Jaguars would not go away as they kept it a one possession game until Bediako hit two free throws with just under two minutes left to play to put the Tide up by four
  • Alabama finished by connecting on 7-of-8 free throws to seal the victory

Early on there were two instances where Eli mentioned a guy's name and I didn't know he was in the game. His crew was great giving him break-downs of the numbers. His 'game presence?' Who's in, who's out? That's something that HAS to be mentioned on radio, right?

I say "radio" because I was listening to the game through the SECN+ feed on ESPN. Ya know, turned away for a few minutes and listening in the background?

I did feel comfortable the rest of the game; strange.

Very sloppy on the offensive end... ended with 22 TO's.
Mentioned post game eight of the 22 were charges. I appreciate the way that disrupted the pace of the offense: good coaching and game plan.
I'd have to look to be sure. I'm thinking the team is about +6 in turnovers versus three games last season.

Michigan lost last night as well. Any given night. We have another tough game against Oakland on Friday, who beat Oklahoma State and barely lost to West Virginia. Team has to refocus and value each possession. Once our energy got up in the second half, the team went on a 14-2 run.

I'm sure Oats will use last night as a learning experience.

Sounds like these games are pointing to what we already new, team has work to do. That is the purpose of these early OOC games by design. Team better get things worked out quickly because Gonzago will beat them by 30+ if they do not play better.

Watched the whole game and we definately struggled tonight but won. JD Davidson played hard but is struggling to score at this point.. teams are letting him shoot.. he is 0 for the season so far. They just drop off him and draw charges. We had several questionable charges called against us and the refs were letting them put their hands on us quite a bit which makes it hard to drive.. mix that with an off shooting night and this is what you get.

USA played a tough man to man d, had to have shot 80% in the first half. They were a veteran team who played hard.

The key take a way is that we won in an ugly defensive game where things definately didn't go our way. JD has some growing to do with his shot but is a physical studd. 10 is going to be a man child as he develops. We need 4 in the line up as he is a match up issue.

I think we are a good team that will improve a lot as these guys get experience but I would look for us to struggle against the man to man d of Houston and Baylor unless we get a lot better fast.

Watched the whole game and we definately struggled tonight but won. JD Davidson played hard but is struggling to score at this point.. teams are letting him shoot.. he is 0 for the season so far. They just drop off him and draw charges. We had several questionable charges called against us and the refs were letting them put their hands on us quite a bit which makes it hard to drive.. mix that with an off shooting night and this is what you get.

USA played a tough man to man d, had to have shot 80% in the first half. They were a veteran team who played hard.

The key take a way is that we won in an ugly defensive game where things definately didn't go our way. JD has some growing to do with his shot but is a physical studd. 10 is going to be a man child as he develops. We need 4 in the line up as he is a match up issue.

I think we are a good team that will improve a lot as these guys get experience but I would look for us to struggle against the man to man d of Houston and Baylor unless we get a lot better fast.
Only saw the first game and some highlights of the South Dakota game. Have not seen much of the South Alabama highlights. From what I have seen, #10 does look like he is going to be a big addition to the team over time. Maybe a difference maker down low.

With regards to the team struggling last night, this has been a pattern for Oats style. If you have an off night offensively and turn the ball over it is a struggle. That is where the defense effort/toughness and free throw shooting has to come into play. If they can defend at a high level they can pull these struggle games out. These games are going to happen under Oats. The flip side will happen also where everything works and they beat really good teams by 30. Saw it last year. The hectic pace just seems to lead to these type of games.

Back
Top Bottom