Tornados...

This is for Tuesday...

day1otlk_0100.gif

on the news (well, on the weather radio we were using) they were saying it was on the ground in bessemer on bessemer super highway around the bowling alley. that's just a few miles from where we are.

we actually got in our little storage room.....just in case. the cat wasn't happy, but she passed the time exploring the room she isn't allowed into in normal circumstances.

Haha, yeah, my cat hates thunder, so she disappeared, but her safe place is under a bed or in the laundry room apparently. I sent my wife and little gal into the bathroom just in case... Used to, I never cared unless I could see it or hear it, but having a kid kinda changes that... the updated warning systems did too (i.e. polygon system which is much more area specific than the old system).

I hate this time of the year, those storms weren't big when they rolled thorough Texas Saturday/Sunday.

Hope you all are safe, I have an aunt and cousin up in Athens, need to see if they are ok. Parents and siblings are on the east side of Birmingham.

A friend of mine on facebook suggested playing a drinking game because of how often James Spann says polygon. Now of course, she was just drinking Dt. Dew. But if you think about how many times...That's alcohol poisoning!

Here's a copy of the James Spann Bingo card:

10264806_10203545382624440_7299266570583123338_n.jpg

from... Spann's blog... The Alabama Weather Blog

Mid-Morning Update

Ryan Stinnett | 10:17 am April 29, 2014
Another day of dangerous severe weather is expected over Alabama and Mississippi. The SPC has much of both states outlined in their enhanced moderate risk for severe weather. This moderate risk includes Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Demopolis, Clanton, Cullman, Jasper, Livingston, Meridian, and Hattiesburg.

THE SET-UP: The large upper-level low continues to spin across the Midwest and shortwave troughs continue to rotate around it. These shortwave help enhance the uplift. A warm, and moist air mass remains in place across the region this morning. In the upper-levels, a jet max will be coming out of Texas and will further enhance uplift in the area. We will also have enough wind shear in place that will allow storms to maintain their updrafts and help them rotate.

INSTABILITY: Yesterday, the instability was already in place across the state. Today, the atmosphere here will have to do some recharging. We are seeing that this morning as our dew points begin to creep back up. Along with increasing dew points, we will also have daytime heating and looking the latest satellite data, much of Central and Northern Mississippi is seeing sunny conditions this morning. The clouds are expected to erode over Alabama through the morning, which will allow us to warm up nicely with highs once again around 80. This will only increase and enhance the instability across the region. CAPE this morning in Central Alabama is averaging 500-1000 J/kg, with the daytime heating and increasing moisture these are expected to climb to between 1000-2000 J/kg this afternoon. This is more than sufficient for severe weather to develop.

THREATS: Once again, we will see all modes of severe weather today. Expect large hail, damaging winds, the threat for flash flooding, and even some strong tornadoes will be possible. The models show a very similar set-up to yesterday’s event, with a line of broken supercells sinking to the southeast as the individual storms race off to the north-northeast.

TIMING: The models show showers and storms developing along the Mississippi River around noon today. This activity will then begin moving east and will be entering Alabama by mid-afternoon. By this time, enough instability is expected to have built back in that will allow these storms to intensify. These strong and severe storms are expected to impact much of Central Alabama through the late afternoon, evening, and into the overnight hours once again.

Make sure you stay weather aware today, and have your severe weather plan ready to take action when needed. Have multiple, reliable sources for severe weather alerts.

We make fun of James Spann and his weather catch phrases, yet who do we turn to for the best information when this kind of weather strikes. I for one am grateful to him for what he does. I know that he was heartbroken after the 2011 storms because so many people were killed. James, that was not your fault. You had the information out there, but many ignored it.

People seemed much more responsible about seeking safe places this time around.

Back
Top Bottom