| FTBL Too Early Look At 2022

Here's my problem with BOB.

1. He has an NFL mentality. In the NFL you simply line up and run a play and try to be better than the guy across from you. In college you use motion and formations to create mismatches with certain players. Sarkisian was brilliant at creating mismatches.
2. BOB doesn't know how to run the ball effectively. In the NFL you put all your offense on the QB's shoulders and let him distribute the ball to the playmakers. This was never more evident when Bama was inside the red zone numerous times and BOB tried to throw it into the endzone with hardly an attempt to run.
3. Because of his NFL background BOB uses a standard route tree. Again, just beat the man across from you. His plays are vanilla and repetitive, with no creativity or uniqueness. Go back and look at the routes they ran under Sarkisian. His routes were unique and creative, and he was very good at getting guys open.
4. In my opinion, BOB doesn't make very good adjustments. There were times when he would try different things but most often he would double down on his plan of attack. Example, against Cincinnati the passing game wasn't working because of poor OL protection and tight coverage. The middle was wide open all night but he rarely tried to take advantage of it with slants, pick plays, RB circle plays, etc.

In my admittedly biased opinion, BOB belongs in the NFL. He just doesn't seem to have a handle on the college game. If I remember correctly his offenses at Penn State were not heralded as great or exciting.

That's fine you believe that, but even with that we averaged over 40 points a game, had two 1,000 yard receivers, a 1,000 yard tailback, and a Heisman winning quarterback. Georgia averaged 6 points a game before we got a hold of them. We scored over 30 points and 18 points, more than doubling their average both times we played them. It's not his fault we lost Metchie, then Williams. It's not his fault Billingsly failed the team. It's not his fault Bryce called out of certain plays.

I'm neutral either way on this one as I'm fine if he stays, fine if he goes, but I cannot see anything realistic that he does that should have him fired. You may not like his method, but he produced. That's gonna make you favored anywhere you go if you produce.

Really...i don’t understand whats up with opinion of BOB....
An interesting case study. How many of the fans that don't care for O'Brien are also NFL fans?

As his name has been circulated in different job openings these past few weeks I've read countless fan reactions which were based on his time with the Texans and not based on his time in Tuscaloosa: Penn State isn't even a fleeting thought.

Let's step back a few years to the time it was announced Sark was taking over the OC duties at Bama. What was the biggest fan reaction(s) based on among football fans? Look what he did in Atlanta!

As little sense as this might make:

He's being judged on what he's done, not what he did, and even those judgments are selective.

An interesting case study. How many of the fans that don't care for O'Brien are also NFL fans?

As his name has been circulated in different job openings these past few weeks I've read countless fan reactions which were based on his time with the Texans and not based on his time in Tuscaloosa: Penn State isn't even a fleeting thought.

Let's step back a few years to the time it was announced Sark was taking over the OC duties at Bama. What was the biggest fan reaction(s) based on among football fans? Look what he did in Atlanta!

As little sense as this might make:

He's being judged on what he's done, not what he did, and even those judgments are selective.
And i think those still thinking of 2020 have long memories

Well one was a pick six. I didn't feel like doing the math at the time, ha ha.
Fair enough and I did not even think about the pick six being part of the equation. In the end we scored 41 points in game 1 on a team that had given up only 6 points or so at the time. Point being their D although good could be handled by the Bama offense. Would have been the same in the NC with a healthy WR core in my view. Trying hard not to fall into the if "Colt" mode but in our case there was at least evidence from the SEC Championship that would have been true. You certainly would assume we would have scored somewhere between the 18 and 41 points at least with a healthy WR group.

Fair enough and I did not even think about the pick six being part of the equation. In the end we scored 41 points in game 1 on a team that had given up only 6 points or so at the time. Point being their D although good could be handled by the Bama offense. Would have been the same in the NC with a healthy WR core in my view. Trying hard not to fall into the if "Colt" mode but in our case there was at least evidence from the SEC Championship that would have been true. You certainly would assume we would have scored somewhere between the 18 and 41 points at least with a healthy WR group.

Yeah...I try not to go the "Texas two step " with Colt either....

I need to go n watch game...will hurt....but will...

I just am going with great...even for bama...season...
Heisman
SEC champs
Beat TN for 15 in a row
Beat AU at au ( a feat in it self it seems)
Went 12-2...not great but dang solid season
Probably best 2 players in CF...

All with injuries at RB...Oline...Receiver....Corners....LB...& anew OC... all that would make any other team be non competitive... all much more than "if Colt....."

Back
Top Bottom