| FTBL Too Early Look At 2022

Crtuneman

Is it too early to start discussions on the roster makeup for next season? My big question is the offensive line. I know the interior is coming back intact, with Ekiyor, Cohen, and Dalcourt/McLaughlin. But what about the tackles? Will JC Latham take the LT spot? What about the phenomenal freshman Tommy Brockermeyer? Will Damien George be in the mix? Kendall Randolph? One of the incoming freshman?
And I expect the corners will be Eli Ricks, Kool Aid, and Khyree Jackson. We have a ton of experience with Moore and Branch. Safeties will be Battle and Hellams, Will Story or Arnold be in the mix? Any of the incoming freshman?
My last question is middle linebacker. Obviously Henry is back as the mike. Who takes over for Harris at the will? Will we have much depth in the middle? Not a lot of experience, I think.
And finally, please tell me we get a new OL coach and OC. I am ready for BOB to head back to the NFL where he belongs. Roll Tide.

@Crtuneman I think I saw were Bama is getting back on D, 7 out of 11. I don't think BOB is going anywhere. He didn't get a second interview with the Jags. I'm ready to see which running back step up and which one will replace our WR that is going pro.

No it's never too early to start anything, but I'll say this, the roster will not be set for a while at least until July/August. We're looking to invest in transfer portal between now and August.

OL- Latham, Cohen, McLaughlin and Ekiyor are pretty much locked to get the spot on OL.. Brockmeyer Probably battle it out with George for that spot, but I think Brockmeyer is ready to step in. George was up and down throughout the season, but offseason with a better OL coaching should elevate this group to another level. I suspect they will do lot of experiment with OL this spring to determine whether they need transfer OL to step in.

WR- All spots are open. Freshmen has a chance to steal one of the spots. I think Brooks earned the spot, but must continue to develop throughout spring and summer. Hall, Holden should have spots, but anything can happen. I think we take a WR out of the portal if they struggle.

RB- This been discussed to death. Hard to figure out the roster, but Gibbs should handle the loads until one of the RBs is back.

DL-I think we'll be fine.
LB- Braswell next to henry Too'too
CB/Safety- This is interesting situation... I expect Ricks/Jackson/Kool Aid to battle it out for CB spot. Moore/Branch- I don't know how long we'll do rotation system with Moore and Branch. Branch came on strong down the stretch. Story/Arnold.. hard to tell.....

@Crtuneman I think I saw were Bama is getting back on D, 7 out of 11. I don't think BOB is going anywhere. He didn't get a second interview with the Jags. I'm ready to see which running back step up and which one will replace our WR that is going pro.
Everywhere I've heard, they've said BOB isn't coming back... and The door isn't all the way shut on BOB... they may circle back to him if option A, B, C isn't ideal. Plus Bob could've turned them down and we don't know. With that in mind, I think BOB ends up somewhere in NFL as a OC. If he does come back to Alabama, he really need to learn to make in game adjustments and start being less predictable. Sark will eat him for dinner.

Really...i don’t understand whats up with opinion of BOB....
40+ average per game...QB as a Heisman....
consider the injuries..... and thats even more impressive....

QB n OC lose knit....thats good stuff

NC game....dropped passes...and lack of protection....and uga D( still put 30+ on them inSEC game....one D score iknow)..

What do fans want....i hope he is back...working withBY

Really...i don’t understand whats up with opinion of BOB....
40+ average per game...QB as a Heisman....
consider the injuries..... and thats even more impressive....

QB n OC lose knit....thats good stuff

NC game....dropped passes...and lack of protection....and uga D( still put 30+ on them inSEC game....one D score iknow)..

What do fans want....i hope he is back...working withBY
Here's my problem with BOB.

1. He has an NFL mentality. In the NFL you simply line up and run a play and try to be better than the guy across from you. In college you use motion and formations to create mismatches with certain players. Sarkisian was brilliant at creating mismatches.
2. BOB doesn't know how to run the ball effectively. In the NFL you put all your offense on the QB's shoulders and let him distribute the ball to the playmakers. This was never more evident when Bama was inside the red zone numerous times and BOB tried to throw it into the endzone with hardly an attempt to run.
3. Because of his NFL background BOB uses a standard route tree. Again, just beat the man across from you. His plays are vanilla and repetitive, with no creativity or uniqueness. Go back and look at the routes they ran under Sarkisian. His routes were unique and creative, and he was very good at getting guys open.
4. In my opinion, BOB doesn't make very good adjustments. There were times when he would try different things but most often he would double down on his plan of attack. Example, against Cincinnati the passing game wasn't working because of poor OL protection and tight coverage. The middle was wide open all night but he rarely tried to take advantage of it with slants, pick plays, RB circle plays, etc.

In my admittedly biased opinion, BOB belongs in the NFL. He just doesn't seem to have a handle on the college game. If I remember correctly his offenses at Penn State were not heralded as great or exciting.

1. He has an NFL mentality. In the NFL you simply line up and run a play and try to be better than the guy across from you. In college you use motion and formations to create mismatches with certain players. Sarkisian was brilliant at creating mismatches.
2. BOB doesn't know how to run the ball effectively. In the NFL you put all your offense on the QB's shoulders and let him distribute the ball to the playmakers. This was never more evident when Bama was inside the red zone numerous times and BOB tried to throw it into the endzone with hardly an attempt to run.
3. Because of his NFL background BOB uses a standard route tree. Again, just beat the man across from you. His plays are vanilla and repetitive, with no creativity or uniqueness. Go back and look at the routes they ran under Sarkisian. His routes were unique and creative, and he was very good at getting guys open.
4. In my opinion, BOB doesn't make very good adjustments. There were times when he would try different things but most often he would double down on his plan of attack. Example, against Cincinnati the passing game wasn't working because of poor OL protection and tight coverage. The middle was wide open all night but he rarely tried to take advantage of it with slants, pick plays, RB circle plays, etc.

In my admittedly biased opinion, BOB belongs in the NFL. He just doesn't seem to have a handle on the college game. If I remember correctly his offenses at Penn State were not heralded as great or exciting.
N.a.i.l.e.d it.

Respect what you say...
....But...

#1....bamas oline recruiting is unbelievable....we should line up 5* always across line....and beat everyone based on talent.... that said...you still have to have RB that can do the job...BRob was a great #2 RB...didnt have a great RB at #1...

2...inside RZ....Saban had headset on..can over rule play calling...
2 drops in EZ didnt help... plenty of creative playcalling to average 40+!

3...we had plenty of receivers open....they just got hurt and didnt play vs ga second time...and their subs dropped passes...BY had almost 400 yards passing vs Uga second time...and over 400 first time...

4...why pass vs Cincinnati.....oline whupped ass...200 yards rushing...Great gameplan...

I am sorry...I don’t understand the problem.... his QB wonHeisman...his O was a rebuilt O...( 5 first rounders lost from previous year)....

I agree, with much of this, but I think motion is used as much to identify defenses and help QB's read coverages as much as creating mismatches.

In terms of being better than the guy across from you, I think that's always been the key to Saban's success on the defensive side, too.

Respect what you say...
....But...

#1....bamas oline recruiting is unbelievable....we should line up 5* always across line....and beat everyone based on talent.... that said...you still have to have RB that can do the job...BRob was a great #2 RB...didnt have a great RB at #1...

3...we had plenty of receivers open....they just got hurt and didnt play vs ga second time...and their subs dropped passes...BY had almost 400 yards passing vs Uga second time...and over 400 first time...

4...why pass vs Cincinnati.....oline whupped ass...200 yards rushing...Great gameplan...

I am sorry...I don’t understand the problem.... his QB wonHeisman...his O was a rebuilt O...( 5 first rounders lost from previous year)....
He's pointing out that in the Georgia game specifically we left around 8-14 points on the board from red zone situations we would normally convert on. Especially the 1st and goal from the 5 where BroB was averaging 3.4 ypc and we threw it 3 times and kicked a fg. There's a lot of what-if situations and I get play calling sometimes is live and die by the cool plays you call. However, BoB is outsmarting himself in a lot of situations.

Again, there is a world of difference between the play calling under Sark and BOB. Go back to last year and watch the pre-snap motions, the changing formations, and the different routes. One of the most unique was the pre-snap flare motion that let the receiver catch the ball behind the LOS and get a head of steam before meeting a defender. It was usually successful and hard to defend, especially with Devonta and Jaylen running it. That's just one example. In my mind Sark was a genius, more so than even Kiffin.

Respect what you say...
....But...

50 I am not Bama Sunshine Club member as you know so here goes.

BRob was a Hoss and will be missed BUT Bama needed in addition to the physical back of #4 we need a real shake and bake 2nd or 3rd back. I believe the transfer from GT may fill that slot. I assume Sanders is sticking and hopefully he can get better. It appears he is getting some speed back. Chace and Roydell have a hill to climb to be ready for 2022. Wheaton is an unknown as is the other freshmen to be RB.s

The OL is a mystery and very likely a combination of poor coaching and poor evaluations. The fact Nick had to get Joe Pendry out of his normal Domino games to return and teach the OL doesn't bode well for Marone being back.

Punter and Place kicker good for another year but not great on the punter.

JMO but Ine don't see a negative on the DB's that left for the NFL. I think Jackson could be a playa if he has the right attitude going forward and takes the bull by the horns. I say he has more ability (quickness/fluid) than Kool-Aid. I will be disappointed if the LSU transfer doesn't take a spot. What is important as well is the backups for all DB's/Safetys since all will have to be replace in 2023.

The TE/Hback is the weakest spot in this offense and we've yet to see a player that even looks the part as of today. No matter who the OC might be Bama has to fix the spot in 2022 to help Bryce.

WR/Slot.... Spring drills should tell the tale on which players get serious and Nick will tell us of concerns or progress during the later part of the drills.

Got to fix all 4 levels of the passing game with better personal.

RBs swing
TE/Hback short patterns/crossing
Slot need help
WR longer patterns need help (speed)

DL needs some of the younger players to really improve

For the most part if a player isn't in the rotation by their sophomore year then chances are they're not going to be elite (some exceptions)

Just not sold on the narrative that BoB called pass plays in red zone. Maybe the plays were changed at LOS. Loading up to stop the run close to goal line is not unusual. Maybe we were just not good enough to make the plays in the passing game....and the other guys knew it.

Back
Top Bottom