| FTBL To shut up Ole Miss fans....

G

First, anyone who watches the replay has to admit that the Ole Miss player ran out of bounds on his own. There is no argument about that and most Ole Miss fans I have read say that their problem is "NO INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE OF HIM TOUCHING THE BALL FIRST."

Well, here it is...courtesy of cbi1972 on Tidefans.com.

IllegalTouching1.jpg

IllegalTouching2.jpg

Not only did the Ole Miss receiver touch the ball first, he came over the defender's back to do so...it should have been pass interference on the offense.

Hard to tell who touched the ball first, I thought that he was down after the pick but before the Ole Miss receiver took the ball away.

bamascw said:
Hard to tell who touched the ball first, I thought that he was down after the pick but before the Ole Miss receiver took the ball away.

1. Not from those pictures. It is obvious who touched it first and would be regardless of the color of my glasses.

2. I agree about him being down before the ball was stripped.

Luckily, it's moot now. I've have two nephews who go to Ole Miss and I talked to one of them today, he said that most of the fans he knows were not as po'd about the call once they sobered up.

A Mississippi State fan congratulated me today on our beating Ole Miss. Said any day Ole Miss gets beat is a good day. He also said Bama was real lucky. That's when I hit him. No. Wait. I didn't hit him. I told him what Coach Bryant used to say: I'd rather be lucky than good." :shock:

I never understood why the announcers kept saying it could be their ball while I'm thinking, um no, because even if it were a legit catch and he were eligable, the ball was down when our guy (can't remember who it was) was DOWN after catching the ball. Then the Old Must receiver tussled and stripped the ball from his hands.

To say we were lucky could be said for them. Both teams missed plays on poor execution that could of easily made it a much harder game than it was.

The first photo shows the ball in a clear downward spiral heading at a 45% angle. The second photo shows the ball has been taken out of that spiral, no doubt by contact. Neither of the player's right hands are close enough, which leaves the left hands. Going back to the first picture, one sees that Hodge's left hand is between the ball and our guy's. -- The physics of the photo tell the story.

I thought the Ole Miss guy had possesion before they were down. He obviously went out of bounds and came back in and could have been called for offensive pass interference.

What about the refs initially blowing the touchback call on the Ole Miss punt. The guy was running full speed into the end zone with the ball in tow. I have never seen that play called down where he first touched the ball. That is why you usually see guys tassing the ball back into the field when they are on the edge of the endzone. I haven't finished watching my recorded version, but from the 15 yardline there, it looked like he didn't even get coth feet down before going in the endzone. Heck, I didn't see him get one foot down. Those refs were in left field on that one.

The pictures really show nothing. To say those pictures prove anything is pretty asinine IMO. It looks as if the Bama player has his arm the closet to the ball, by looking at the crimson sleeve, and you would thus infer that he had the ball. Furthermore the Bama guy caught the ball and the Ole Miss guy ripped it apart, should have been Bama's ball there. Overall, the right call was made but there is no way you can sit and say the pictures prove it.

imatigerfan said:
The pictures really show nothing. To say those pictures prove anything is pretty asinine IMO. It looks as if the Bama player has his arm the closet to the ball, by looking at the crimson sleeve, and you would thus infer that he had the ball. Furthermore the Bama guy caught the ball and the Ole Miss guy ripped it apart, should have been Bama's ball there. Overall, the right call was made but there is no way you can sit and say the pictures prove it.

Lets see...

Pic 1

The ball is in the air on the way...

Pic 2

The ball is touching the hand of the Ole Miss receiver.

Given that the penalty was illegal touching because the Ole Miss receiver went out of bounds and came back in - then touched it first, the pictures are conclusive. The only thing asinine is the barner commentary I am replying to.

Aren't you late for your sociology study session?

larrythecableguy1.jpg

RollinInPcola said:
SEC reviewed the call from the game.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1192526680114750.xml&coll=3

They say it was the correct call made by the replay official.

Croom needs to once again have his name removed from the commitment to excellence award. His bad mouthing and speaking out against Bama is getting old. I have known he and his family longer than most contemporary Bama fans have known his name, but his bitterness about being passed over for the HC position is getting old.

Big_Fan said:
RollinInPcola said:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1192526680114750.xml&coll=3

Croom needs to once again have his name removed from the commitment to excellence award. His bad mouthing and speaking out against Bama is getting old. I have known he and his family longer than most contemporary Bama fans have known his name, but his bitterness about being passed over for the HC position is getting old.

He definitely came across as very bitter about the call. He tries to use the "sticking up for the team" line to validate his statements.

Its extremely clear the receiver stepped out of bounds, and the replay official stated that he could see from two angles the receiver touched the ball first.

RollinInPcola said:
Big_Fan said:
RollinInPcola said:

He definitely came across as very bitter about the call. He tries to use the "sticking up for the team" line to validate his statements.

Its extremely clear the receiver stepped out of bounds, and the replay official stated that he could see from two angles the receiver touched the ball first.

The pictures I posted show the receiver touching the ball first, as well as both hands of the Bama defender being in a position that he could not have touched it.

The problem with the angle that shows simultaneous touching is that it is a 2-D image from a head-on perspective. There is no depth perception. These pics are from the side and clearly show that by the position of the defender's hand he had to touch it first.

My 2 cents worth. the defender/safety should have no business trying to catch that call, if he got a hand on it he should have knocked it 2 rows in the stands. It was 4th down and any knockdown would be game over. I think we got lucky on that one and it should be chalked up as a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom