| MBB/WBB Time for a rhetorical question. What were your expectations going into this season?

I know Oats has been frustrated with this year's team. But I don't put all of that on him and his coaching either. For one example, being careless with the ball goes back to early coaching. We don't see help with these kids playing a lot of travel ball: the AAU circuit is no help in a lot of areas.
Take the Saban approach for QB/RB/WR's, if you do not take care of the ball you do not play. That is not a hard decision to me. It may be hard to live with the consequences of that decision but you do not compromise the basics.

I still think Oats pushing tempo beyond the skills the players can execute is also part of the problem. Oats had a decision to make, slow down and see if the turnovers go down or keep pushing and hope they clean it up over time. He chose the latter and it is not working.

Take the Saban approach for QB/RB/WR's, if you do not take care of the ball you do not play. That is not a hard decision to me. It may be hard to live with the consequences of that decision but you do not compromise the basics.
It would be a tougher decision than you think. What do you suggest Oats do when he only has two point guards/ball handlers? Your decision means benching JQ and then playing JD 40 minutes? Or, vice versa?

I know this has been a frustrating season but benching your best players isn't going to work. This deep in the season you can't just start changing lineups and rotations: it won't work. A tweak here and there? Yeah, maybe. Wholesale change? No. Definitely not. Using the bench as a motivation tactic? Far, far too late for that move. The team is in the post-season.

(It's easy to see how the loss of Burnett and Gary's injury turned the page back a bit.)

Since you've brought Saban into the conversation do you really think he wanted to play Billingsley as much as he ended up on the field? No. But what choice did he have with the TE position? Honestly, do you think that was Saban's plan going into the season? Being that reliant on Latu and Billingsley as your options?

I'm betting we can find common ground here. Let me use football as an example.

When Gus arrived in the SEC his offense gave teams fits. After a season or two he was still having success but his style wasn't a secret. SEC opponents knew what they were bringing to the field.

How's that different than basketball? Last season Bama took the SEC by surprise with the up-tempo style Bama played. This season these same SEC teams are familiar with what they bring and they have a better understanding on how to defend: how to throw Bama out of their game plan.

We're in a new season now, post-season play. When they get to the dance we'll see teams who aren't as up-to-date as their SEC opponents. We've seen some great OOC play this year and I content it's because they lack the familiarity other SEC teams have with the Tide.

One and done? Maybe. A decent run? I believe that's more likely than the former.

Speaking of OOC opponents:

Back in November Bama beat S. Dakota State handily; 104-88. SDSU won their conference tournament last night and are headed to the dance. They finished the season 30-4.

I'll have to look to be sure. Without looking I'm thinking that Memphis is the only OOC team Bama faced this year that hasn't reached the 20 win plateau. I believe they have 19 wins going into their tournament with their last win coming against Houston.

It would be a tougher decision than you think. What do you suggest Oats do when he only has two point guards/ball handlers? Your decision means benching JQ and then playing JD 40 minutes? Or, vice versa?

I know this has been a frustrating season but benching your best players isn't going to work. This deep in the season you can't just start changing lineups and rotations: it won't work. A tweak here and there? Yeah, maybe. Wholesale change? No. Definitely not. Using the bench as a motivation tactic? Far, far too late for that move. The team is in the post-season.

(It's easy to see how the loss of Burnett and Gary's injury turned the page back a bit.)

Since you've brought Saban into the conversation do you really think he wanted to play Billingsley as much as he ended up on the field? No. But what choice did he have with the TE position? Honestly, do you think that was Saban's plan going into the season? Being that reliant on Latu and Billingsley as your options?

I'm betting we can find common ground here. Let me use football as an example.

When Gus arrived in the SEC his offense gave teams fits. After a season or two he was still having success but his style wasn't a secret. SEC opponents knew what they were bringing to the field.

How's that different than basketball? Last season Bama took the SEC by surprise with the up-tempo style Bama played. This season these same SEC teams are familiar with what they bring and they have a better understanding on how to defend: how to throw Bama out of their game plan.

We're in a new season now, post-season play. When they get to the dance we'll see teams who aren't as up-to-date as their SEC opponents. We've seen some great OOC play this year and I content it's because they lack the familiarity other SEC teams have with the Tide.

One and done? Maybe. A decent run? I believe that's more likely than the former.
Play a walk on if you have to and live with the consequences. Now I completely agree it is to late at this point, this should have been done well before now. Damage has been done.

You bring in Gus and his high school offense and SEC adjusting to it. I completely agree with this and I have already pondered if Oats is our Gus which would not be a good thing. I do get your point about teams in the NCAA that have not seen Bama will likely be more challenged.

On Saban and Billingsley, you have to admit his playing time was impacted. Why not completely sit him? We would have to ask Saban that question. Saban probably has enough credibility to allow for some rope and it not compromise his principles in the eyes of the team. Does Oats?

I was expecting somewhat of a “rebuild” year with the new players after losing Jones, Petty, and Reese. I am most disappointed in the coaching. The players are doing what they are instructed to do. When your entire offense is built on driving the lane and either putting up a layup or kicking out for a 3, you have a problem when the 3’s are not falling. Oh and by the way, a 6 ‘ 4” player is going to lose the rebounding edge to a 6’ 9” player …9 out of 10 times unless he’s in perfect position. However, I’m not putting all the blame on coaching. You would think players at this level are smart enough to know that you do not play so fast that you are not in control. I can’t count the number of turnovers simply because of this. However, I give credit to CNO for putting together a great schedule and winning some big games against the likes of the Zags, Baylor & Houston which got Bama into the NCAA tournament and not on the bubble.

You bring in Gus and his high school offense and SEC adjusting to it.

On Saban and Billingsley, you have to admit his playing time was impacted. Why not completely sit him? We would have to ask Saban that question. Saban probably has enough credibility to allow for some rope and it not compromise his principles in the eyes of the team. Does Oats?

OATS.... maybe hold off judgement for a bit more.... His recruiting to playground basketball is effective..... but bball is a game of players....he may not YET have the players he wants or needs...
He appears to be good clean recruiter....
Has a big man for future..needs shooters....could be a very good team for next year...
And really...this team is sloppy but a pretty good team...won really big games thisyear...

BILLINGLY....what a disappointing player this year.... but... made a big catch vs AU that saved thegame...see how he does at Texas

Back
Top Bottom