| MBB/WBB Time for a rhetorical question. What were your expectations going into this season?

There were several. I'd put 95% at "making the dance again." It's probably more than that.

We talked about it being a more talented team. It is. It hasn't gone as well as it should have.

We talked about the schedule. It's been more brutal than most imagined.

Stein points out something to put the season in context.

Assuming Alabama is a 6 seed or better, it will be UA basketball’s best back-to-back regular seasons since ‘86-‘87. That’s 35 years.

I expected there to be a drop off from last year but was not expecting this much. Quantifying that better - being in the top 4 of the SEC but not winning it out right. Expected 12-14 wins in the SEC certainly better than 9-9. Certainly an invitation to the NCAA tournament with a 4-5 seed and maybe a sweet 16 run.

The most disappointing thing to me has been how they have played and looked in the games they lost. In a game you are just waiting on the next turnover or spells where they throw up bricks over multiple possessions but the D and effort is lacking so they can't overcome it..

Not tl much really
Look at bball. Unless u are an elite program ... there are major ups and downs...
Thought the team would be better with basketball IQ. Fail
Team would have some consistency... fail

But... wth... enjoyed watching when they were playing well.
Frustrating at times
Disappointed the crowds weren't into games

But decent team. Future is positive
May make noise yet

With all the seniority and play makers lost from last season + the toughest schedule in the country, I hoped for 21 wins. Sitting at 19-12, they're two games off. It's disappointing that we've seen them play at an elite level (Gonzaga, Tennessee, Houston, Baylor, and even in losses to Auburn at home and the first half @ Kentucky). My expectations dropped back dramatically when Nimari got hurt.

Roster wise, I had higher expectations for the following: Gary, Ellis, Gurley, and JD. Gary I've been told is dealing with an injury that has yet to be publicly announced. And in Gurley's defense, as the season progressed, he's gotten more comfortable in Oats' system and has played better. Keon and JD both do not utilize their talents enough, and are both not aggressive. It's very frustrating to watch. JD is also not a good primary ball handler, which leads to awful turnovers and bad possessions. Keon doesn't have the killer instinct someone like Petty did.

I guess record wise, I'm not disappointed. We're a solid 5-6 seed with the toughest schedule in the country. And throw in the fact that this will be consecutive tournament appearances since Gottfried was the coach. The disappointment comes internally. Players not buying in, coaches not being able to maximize potential, bad turnovers, and awful chemistry.

Well, I guess I had a lot higher expectations than the others had who’ve posted comments thus far. I expected Bama to again be in the hunt for the SEC regular season championship and to win or be in the finals of the SEC Tournament … then to make it to the Final Four. Pretty high expectations huh? Granted … but I’ll tell you what never even crossed my mind … that they would only have 19 wins at this point, that their defense would be abysmal and only matched by their sloppy ball handling, that they would lack intensity and team chemistry … or that JD would be so average. What happened to the team that beat Gonzaga, Houston and Baylor … a team that actually exceeded my lofty expectations? I seriously doubt many Bama fans expected anything close to this team only having won 19 games before the start of the SEC Tournament when they were 9-1 following the Houston victory in December. At that point, I felt like this team truly could win it all.

I guess record wise, I'm not disappointed. We're a solid 5-6 seed with the toughest schedule in the country. And throw in the fact that this will be consecutive tournament appearances since Gottfried was the coach. The disappointment comes internally. Players not buying in, coaches not being able to maximize potential, bad turnovers, and awful chemistry.

100% agree

I had us winning about 22 games or so. I had us losing to Gonzaga, but beating Baylor and Houston. I also felt we could split with Auburn and Kentucky. I never felt we would lose to a Missouri, Iona, Davidson, or Georgia. I thought we'd make the SEC Championship game again. I had us in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 in my mind. So while we exceeded some szpectations I had, we also bombed on more expectations I had.

I think seeing what these guys could do OOC just jacked up the expectations. I really expected more like a .500 OOC record as the team figured things out but then a much better in conference record. Once they exceeded the OOC record my in conference expectation did not change or maybe went up some until the bottom fell out.

I believe we fans of Alabama Athletics have come to expect too much from our teams. Coach Saban says it best. Every year, the team is different from the last team. Are we fans placing too much pressure on the players? When the players are already putting pressure on themselves and feeling like the coaching staff expects them to become the best player they can be through very long, hard practices? To be at their very best each time they step on the court. To go along with the circumstances of this covid horseshit, every thing else every kid goes through growing from a kid to an adult, all the while trying their best to get their education, which by the way, comes in many forms.

Yes, I had very high hopes for this team. I also had some expectations, which looking introspectively, were probably unfair to some players and coaches, who were trying very hard to succeed. I learned a long time ago, to have expectations of anyone about most anything can lead to huge letdowns. So, who is at fault, me with my lofty expectations or ........................?

I expected some growing pains, especially with all of the seniors we lost. I feel the thing that most fans probably are so aggravated with about this bunch isn’t so much the number of losses, but who they lost to and how they did it. 18-22 wins was around where I thought we would be with some combination of losses between the Gonzaga, Baylor, Houston stretch and maybe a split with the Barn. Not seeing the improvement in ball handling is the most frustrating thing for me, as well as inconsistent defense. FTs improved but those first 2, damn they were back breakers in critical times all season long.

Sounds like the players, coaches and fans all drank the rat poison. Oat's is a relatively young coach so hopefully he will learn and grow from this experience and have a better plan going forward. Still do not think he has a plan B if his strategy is not working. That is something I think he will need to grow as well because SEC coaches will figure you out and at least slow down what you are trying to do. Pretty sure he expected more out of several of his players on this team and I can understand why he did.

Sounds like the players, coaches and fans all drank the rat poison.
Curious. What rat poison?
Not seeing the improvement in ball handling is the most frustrating thing for me,
I hate using the analogy. To me this is no different than poor tackling technique. It goes back to coaching early on in their careers: we're just seeing their lack of development.

I hate using the analogy. To me this is no different than poor tackling technique. It goes back to coaching early on in their careers: we're just seeing their lack of development.
I guess I conjured up my own rat poison based upon some nice things being projected about Bama’s talent “improvement” on the roster as a whole. Unfortunately, I didn’t know enough about the players who moved on from last year’s amazing team and that was a huge miscalculation. As I’ve admitted, I do not claim to know BB like I think I know football. That being said, my big disappointment isn’t necessarily what I thought they would do this season versus last season though there is that. My biggest disappointment would be where I thought they’d end up after starting the season 9-1 with a win on the road vs Gonzaga and then beating Houston at home.

I guess I conjured up my own rat poison based upon some nice things being projected about Bama’s talent “improvement” on the roster as a whole. Unfortunately, I didn’t know enough about the players who moved on from last year’s amazing team and that was a huge miscalculation. As I’ve admitted, I do not claim to know BB like I think I know football. That being said, my big disappointment isn’t necessarily what I thought they would do this season versus last season though there is that. My biggest disappointment would be where I thought they’d end up after starting the season 9-1 with a win on the road vs Gonzaga and then beating Houston at home.
Could have equated "rat poison" with talk of being top 4 in NCAA tourneyment seeding
Or being rank among the stars after Gonzaga game...

Was lots being said... iona cooled it some...

Players coming back highly regarded like JQ (SEC Tournament MVP) and Shackelford throw on top of that added a 5 star with a supposedly one and done as JD was advertised. Then they go 9-1 OOC and beat Gonzaga and Houston before SEC play. They moved into the top 10 and was getting a ton of hype at the time. Iona was definitely the first wake up call.

Players coming back highly regarded like JQ (SEC Tournament MVP) and Shackelford throw on top of that added a 5 star with a supposedly one and done as JD was advertised. Then they go 9-1 OOC and beat Gonzaga and Houston before SEC play. They moved into the top 10 and was getting a ton of hype at the time. Iona was definitely the first wake up call.
It's my impression the ones drinking rat poison are not on the hardwood especially with the continued mention of Iona. Several point to that game with some saying that's where they "jumped ship."

Just as pointed out in that game week Iona is a good ball club. What's lost on me is how a loss to a 25 win, likely tournament bound, team is somehow a wake up call.

Back
Top Bottom