| FTBL Three things we learned, two questions, and one prediction

The 3-2-1 - Alabama still out in front with unblemished record of 6-0
Kyle Henderson | Managing Editor

w1ejf7660pkzadtstlpv

COLLEGE STATION, TX - OCTOBER 07: Alabama Crimson Tide running back Damien Harris (34) runs the ball during the college football game between the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Texas A&M Aggies on October 7th, 2017 at Kyle Field in College Station, TX. (Photo by Daniel Dunn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Today, we open the week with a three, two, one series, which we’ll provide three things we learned, ask two questions, and make one prediction following Alabama's 27-19 win over Texas A&M

Three Things We've Learned
1. Alabama was tested by Texas A&M

Going into this game, VegasInsider.com had Alabama as a 25 point favorite. While Alabama had dominated Vanderbilt and Ole Miss coming in, the spread seemed way too high against Texas A&M, a team that was 4-1 playing in front of 100,000 strong. The Crimson Tide who are now 6-0 on the season and ranked No. 1 in both the AP Top 25 as well as in the Coaches Poll actually led Texas A&M 24-3, but the Aggies never seemed to be out of the game, especially after quarterback Kellen Mond threw a two-yard touchdown pass to Christian Kirk to make it 24-10 going into the 4th quarter.

With momentum on their side, the Aggies then blocked an Alabama punt, then drove down the field in the final minute of the game for another touchdown to make it 27-19 an even kicked an onside kick with 17 seconds left in the game. Alabama was absolutely tested on the road and while the game was never out of the control of Alabama, other programs around the Nation look at this eight-point victory and now see Alabama as beatable.

2. Damien Harris is a bad man

Alabama has likely the best roster of running backs in the Nation. Literally, they can go five-deep on backs and pound the rock with elite level backs all game long, but the play of Damien Harris as of late has been exceptional. Through the first six games at Alabama, Harris has rushed for 59 carries for 500-yards with seven touchdowns. His average is 8.5 per touch and against Texas A&M he reeled his a 75-yard touchdown run that was the play of the game early in the first quarter.

Harris had 119-yard at half against Texas A&M, but only finished with 124-yards, and it was interesting that Alabama stopped going to Harris in the second half, it looked as though he could of hit the 200-yard mark as he was playing that well. While Bo Scarbrough, Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris, and Brian Robinson are each capable of moving the football for Alabama, so far Harris has looked like the best back on Alabama’s roster which says a tremendous amount about his play.

3. Defense is the backbone

We’ve seen both the offense and the defense dominate in six games so far, but overall it’s clear that this team is still built on defense, especially in marquee games. While Texas A&M recorded over 300-yards of offense against Alabama, the Crimson Tide defense allowed just 71-yards rushing, held the Aggies to 3 of 14 on third down conversions, recorded three sacks, and forced three turnovers on the night. The offense didn’t play their best game, that was clear, but the defense has not had a game where they’ve dropped off this season and you know what they say about defense… Jeremy Pruitt likely gets calls from outside of Alabama for head coaching positions frequently, because he can flat out coach.

Two Questions
1. Is Alabama’s weak spot their passing game?

This question is being asked by many right now after Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts was 13 of 22 passing for 123-yards against Texas A&M. There is no question that Hurts missed on a few throws during the game on Saturday, but with that said he also is progressing as a quarterback and you can see him reading the field much more than earlier in the season. On the year, Hurts is 70-111 passing for 870-yards with 7 touchdowns and 0 interceptions for a quarterback efficiency rating of 149.7, most college football programs would take Hurts in an instant.

What is concerning about the passing game is the fact that Calvin Ridley has 20 receptions on the year and the next leading receiver is Bo Scarbrough who has 10 receptions, that is a major drop off. Ridley suffered what Saban called a thigh bruise on Saturday and if he misses a game or two, who is going to step up? Robert Foster had a very tough night, but is still capable of making big plays, Jerry Jeudy has looked excellent, Cam Sims also looks capable, and even DeVonta Smith along with Henry Ruggs look the part. So obviously there is talent on the receiver depth chart, the guys mentioned just need to get the football.

2. Is the media really providing rat poison to the players?

Following the game against Texas A&M, Nick Saban said that the media was feeding his players Rat Poison. That his players were basically reading too much into the hype of their own team. While Saban has a right to say whatever he wants, being No. 1 year in and year comes with a heavy burden non-stop.

You’re the super bowl for every team you play against, your team sets the standard of college football, the team is filled with five-stars, and also, the team is the flagship for ESPN and ESPN is allowed to do whatever they want at Alabama. With all due respect, the players are watching ESPN nightly, not reading BamaInsider.com, the Decatur Daily, the Aniston Star, etc.

One Prediction
1. Alabama stomps Arkansas

Feel that Alabama is really fired up after their one-touchdown win over Texas A&M and they take it out on the Razorbacks for homecoming. VegasInsider.com seems to think the same, listing the Crimson Tide as a 29.5 favorite already. Now while that spread against Texas A&M was far-fetched, eat this current spread against the Hogs with a spoon.

BamaInsider.com - The 3-2-1 - Alabama still out in front with unblemished record of 6-0

2. Is the media really providing rat poison to the players?

Following the game against Texas A&M, Nick Saban said that the media was feeding his players Rat Poison. That his players were basically reading too much into the hype of their own team. While Saban has a right to say whatever he wants, being No. 1 year in and year comes with a heavy burden non-stop.

I for one think that the players are reading too much into what the media are writing about them. But, how can the coaches keep them from reading about them?

Football players are for the most part.....football fans....
So its on tv...on the newspaper...on the internet....everywhere...
But it is what it is....ask ok, Michigan....lsu....fla...
Being regarded as great....should inspire you to exceed greatness....
Not lounge in the affection.....and accolades.....

It is very difficult to be at you best for an entire season when you are favored by 25+ points. Tested? Didn’t play well on the road against a decent team. Bottom line, we won ugly.

Passing game is a work in progress, better than last year but still a work. Hurts cannot continue to throw high or overthrow wide, open receivers.

I do think it's pathetic we win an eight point game after basically dominating 3/4 of the game and everyone is acting as if our quarterback is any good and if the dynasty is over type crap. Yes, the media is rat poison. They can write anything and create false narratives that can start "trending". Shit gets old and i 100% understand Coach Saban. The media creates bullshit. I also hate how spiiled our fans are. So you want a blowout whete the fans leave early, but bitch when we play a team somewhat close? Folks are never happy. I've stood by Hurts since Day 1, and I wouldn't change a thing. So the offense had a down game, well fuck, you can't school everyone! Look at the Falcons, they remind me of Alabama these days. Most days the offense can't be stopped, but every so often they have a down day. In tge end, we're 6-0, have talent for days and most likely school the rest of our schedule. Stay level headed and support our boys, don't be critical just so you can bitch about something.

I do think it's pathetic we win an eight point game after basically dominating 3/4 of the game and everyone is acting as if our quarterback is any good and if the dynasty is over type crap. Yes, the media is rat poison. They can write anything and create false narratives that can start "trending". Shit gets old and i 100% understand Coach Saban. The media creates bullshit. I also hate how spiiled our fans are. So you want a blowout whete the fans leave early, but bitch when we play a team somewhat close? Folks are never happy. I've stood by Hurts since Day 1, and I wouldn't change a thing. So the offense had a down game, well fuck, you can't school everyone! Look at the Falcons, they remind me of Alabama these days. Most days the offense can't be stopped, but every so often they have a down day. In tge end, we're 6-0, have talent for days and most likely school the rest of our schedule. Stay level headed and support our boys, don't be critical just so you can bitch about something.

I dont know anybody thats down on anybody or anything....
Just observing what is going on....
I was happy with win....i think Bama is better then they showed...
Hurts is awesome...bama is 6-0.....
Havent lost a conference game in a long time...
I watched second half of game last night....we dominated...and as fate would have it...let them back in game...as we did Clemson last year... AnM just wasn't Clemson
and Mond was Watson.... just observing the facts...

I dont know anybody thats down on anybody or anything....
Just observing what is going on....
I was happy with win....i think Bama is better then they showed...
Hurts is awesome...bama is 6-0.....
Havent lost a conference game in a long time...
I watched second half of game last night....we dominated...and as fate would have it...let them back in game...as we did Clemson last year... AnM just wasn't Clemson
and Mond was Watson.... just observing the facts...

Not pointing at you are necessarily anyone on here, just reading things all over the internet that just act like the world is coming to an end, Hurts is still having issues through the air, yadda yadda yadda. My point was that these guys aren't robots, they have ups and downs like the rest of us, so for folks to say our quarterback is struggling is mind blowing and makes no sense. Counting the easy drops would boost Jalen's number by leaps and bounds, yet these critics say nothing about that, they just want to bash a guy for conflict, which is what this country runs on these days. Sure, Alabama has made it a habit of destroying teams and we all get a little antsy when a game is close, but I feel like you in that the Texas A&M game never felt close or like we technically lost control. Their guy made some incredible plays, and that is going to happen. So for folks to be all hunky dory with Jalen's last two games and then talk of regression it just comes across as ignorant. That's all I meant, nothing directed at you or any one person on this board.

Back
Top Bottom