| FTBL This "debate" between the 1-7 model and the 3-6 version of conference scheduling makes no sense. 1-7 is ludicrous.

TerryP

Staff
Setting aside what it would look like for Alabama, consider these scenarios.

With the 1-7 model we would look forward to seeing Texas vs Oklahoma each season. We'd miss Texas vs A&M.

We'd see Georgia and Tennessee each season. We would see the Cocktail party nor Georgia vs Auburn. Keep the cocktail party you say? We'd still lose UGA vs AU.

With a lot of these SEC schools, when you look at which school should be their one permanent opponent, who's your choice? Do you put LSU vs Arkansas losing LSU vs A&M. LSU vs Ole Miss? South Carolina vs whom?

1-7 ( or 1-8) is a non starter. Complete garbage.

3-6 is better but that is going to create a mess for conference standings. I can easily see 3 teams in first with only one common opponent each or 1 in first then 3 in second with the same issue. It does get you home-and-home every 4 years though. It only works well if you find a way to make sure schedules for teams are linked up enough to consider 8 teams one division and the other 8 the other. But a 5-4 (really 3-2-4) pod schedule does that more cleanly.

EDIT: I think I should also say I support whatever scheduling means we no longer play Auburn every year. It does nothing to help Alabama when we play them (win and it is just another year, lose and it is proof you are garbage and they deserve the NC trophy).

Last edited:
UGA and Auburn would play OOC if the SEC didn't schedule them to play. They have played every year in which both have fielded a football team ever since both started playing football. IOW, using an old Danny Ford triple negative, they ain't never not played.

IMO, I would like to see any kind of scheduling that would have each SEC team playing all the other SEC teams more frequently. There is no reason we should not play Florida and Georgia, just to name two than once every blue moon or only in the SEC championship game. Creative scheduling minds can work this out.

IMO, I would like to see any kind of scheduling that would have each SEC team playing all the other SEC teams more frequently. There is no reason we should not play Florida and Georgia, just to name two than once every blue moon or only in the SEC championship game. Creative scheduling minds can work this out.
Scheduling needs to ensure home and home with every team in the conference at least once every 4 years. That is simple enough to do and keep the current rivalries in place.

Back
Top Bottom