| FTBL The state of programs around the SEC and what I see as CDS - Coordinator Dependency Syndrome

TerryP

Staff
I came across this series of quotes the other day and started considering how many coaches we see around the SEC suffer from CDS. There are a few things we've seen lately that separate the two different coaching styles.

When I think about Bobby Bowden and Mickey Andrews I don't consider one dependant on the other. When I look at Ed Orgeron, I don't see a coach capable of handling the offensive side of the football team.

Boom falls into the same category. He's not an offensive guy. Interestingly enough, it's a former SEC coach—while talking about Belichick—that mentions CDS and who doesn't have it.

D6ZCFvPXoAEk1Fu.jpg

Another writer mentions the number of head coaches that abdicate while thinking they're delegating. And, we see quite often, they end up delegating their butts right out the door. Think about Tuberville and James Franklin.

In Saban's tenure, did we see him abdicate the offense over to Locksley when Bama moved to the spread oriented attack?
How do we look at Gus at Auburn? Or Dabo without Venables?

Two coaches I see with this problem just also happen to be the two coaches closest to the proverbial 'hot seat' this season- Gus and Ed.

I came across this series of quotes the other day and started considering how many coaches we see around the SEC suffer from CDS. There are a few things we've seen lately that separate the two different coaching styles.

When I think about Bobby Bowden and Mickey Andrews I don't consider one dependant on the other. When I look at Ed Ørgeron, I don't see a coach capable of handling the offensive side of the football team.

Boom falls into the same category. He's not an offensive guy. Interestingly enough, it's a former SEC coach—while talking about Belichick—that mentions CDS and who doesn't have it.

D6ZCFvPXoAEk1Fu.jpg

Another writer mentions the number of head coaches that abdicate while thinking they're delegating. And, we see quite often, they end up delegating their butts right out the door. Think about Tuberville and James Franklin.

In Saban's tenure, did we see him abdicate the offense over to Locksley when Bama moved to the spread oriented attack?
How do we look at Gus at Auburn? Or Dabo without Venables?

Two coaches I see with this problem just also happen to be the two coaches closest to the proverbial 'hot seat' this season- Gus and Ed.

Coach Bryant and coach Saban readily admit to hiring coordinators smarter than them. Otherwise, why bother? With Tubby, he was just as ignorant about offenses before Franklin as he was before that particular act blew up in his face. He was a very successful coach otherwise and when he was running what he knew he was winning his share and more than his share when it came to the Iron Bowl rivalry.

But he still lost the team his last year and it was a series of stupid decisions I would guess he has probably second guessed since. Tubby played hard nose football with a strong running game and played to his defensive principals. Abanding that was his greatest sin. Probably an overreaction to the Saban effect that had many SEC coaches running to their laboratory, trying to morph into something they weren't. I also think the barners overreacted in firing the guy. But, maybe he doesn't get Cam to go to the barn and they miss out on their one great claim to fame, besides all those fingers Tubby use to hold up.

Coach Bryant and coach Saban readily admit to hiring coordinators smarter than them. Otherwise, why bother? With Tubby, he was just as ignorant about offenses before Franklin as he was before that particular act blew up in his face. He was a very successful coach otherwise and when he was running what he knew he was winning his share and more than his share when it came to the Iron Bowl rivalry.
Coach Bryant...……."I don't hire anybody not brighter than I am. If they're not smarter than me, I don't need them."
Coach Bryant and Coach Saban haven't abdicated roles to assistants. On the other hand, Tubs did that with Franklin. Malzahn did it with Muschamp. Oregeron is doing it with his offense making the same mistake with the choice as Tubs.

With the offensive guys Saban has hired he's delegated them bringing in a wrinkle. Like Locks with the spread offense.

I don't see Kirbs abdicating or delegating the UGA defense. I didn't see Kirby having a lot of influence on Chaney's offense.

Coach Bryant and Coach Saban haven't abdicated roles to assistants. On the other hand, Tubs did that with Franklin. Malzahn did it with Muschamp. Oregeron is doing it with his offense making the same mistake with the choice as Tubs.

With the offensive guys Saban has hired he's delegated them bringing in a wrinkle. Like Locks with the spread offense.

I don't see Kirbs abdicating or delegating the UGA defense. I didn't see Kirby having a lot of influence on Chaney's offense.

Coach Saban did abdicate to Locksley, as he did with Kiffin. He's there for quality control but he sank or swam with all of them, more or less.

Coach O is a good example of this quality control I talk about. He jumped in there with great speeches and a binder full of ideas about his nest OC. Got the job and paid Canada a heap of money to come to BR. About the time his Bengals were getting hammered by Troy he has a complete change of heart. Now, here is where you think about the relationship between Tubby and Franklin. O realized all this motion and spread stuff is changing his team, his philosophy, and the scoreboard. His team is much less physical and he is enough of a hardnose defensive guy to see how the LOS was being lost. Firing Canada was bold, bold, bold, given his precarious situation to begin with. But unlike the barners who up and fire the best coach they had since Jordan, after one down year, LSU let special ed take another shot at the OC position. Back to their rough and tumble ways they figured out how to open the offense a little more without compromising their physicality and toughness.

That's what head coaches do my friend.

Might want to look up the definition of abdicate here, bro. Saban didn't relinquish a thing when he brought Locksley to Tuscaloosa: hell, he was an analyst.

What does being an analyst have to do with it? I explained very clearly a head coach's role of "quality control." Unless you're interested in turning the discussion into semantics?

Coach Ø is a good example of this quality control I talk about. He jumped in there with great speeches and a binder full of ideas about his nest OC.
A binder, about Kiffin. He hired Canada because he missed on Kiffin. He fires Canada to hire Ensminger (widely known as one of the worst coaches on Tuberville's staff when he was in Auburn.) Ensminger is lauded to bring in a new spread 'em out offense. He missed again which led to Orgeron hires a passing game coordinator because Ensminger can't get it done. What do we know about Joe Brady?

What does being an analyst have to do with it? I explained very clearly a head coach's role of "quality control." Unless you're interested in turning the discussion into semantics?
There are no semantics involved when distinguishing between abdicate and delegate. That's the reason I said you might want to refresh your memory of what abdicate means. It was used, specifically, for its definition.

Coach Saban did abdicate to Locksley, as he did with Kiffin. He's there for quality control but he sank or swam with all of them, more or less.
Saban did not abdicate to Locksley. The suggestion he did so is also saying he turned over the offense to an analyst. He didn't turn the offense over to Locks.

With the spread aspects in place, Kiffin was brought in to implement tempo alongside what was already in place: a double Ace set offense with spread components. No abdication there as well.

A binder, about Kiffin. He hired Canada because he missed on Kiffin. He fires Canada to hire Ensminger (widely known as one of the worst coaches on Tuberville's staff when he was in Auburn.) Ensminger is lauded to bring in a new spread 'em out offense. He missed again which led to Ørgeron hires a passing game coordinator because Ensminger can't get it done. What do we know about Joe Brady?

That turned quickly. How about, I don't know and I don't care. I don't wish special ed any success and I'm still not sure he can eventually keep his job. I do know why he let Canada go and what some of his fears were. I know they went back to a more physical brand of ball. I give him credit for going down with his convictions, even if he bites the dust.

I'm not discussing if a head coach is actually good at his job, just what his job description is.

There are no semantics involved when distinguishing between abdicate and delegate. That's the reason I said you might want to refresh your memory of what abdicate means. It was used, specifically, for its definition.

Oh, I pretty much knew that. There are a ton of specifics about the actual discussion you left untouched, again.

Saban did not abdicate to Locksley. The suggestion he did so is also saying he turned over the offense to an analyst. He didn't turn the offense over to Locks.

With the spread aspects in place, Kiffin was brought in to implement tempo alongside what was already in place: a double Ace set offense with spread components. No abdication there as well.

I also didn't mean abdicate in the sense of Richard Nixon leaving his presidency. But then, that's just more semantics, isn't it?

And for the record, all those azz chewings Kiffin received, just more "quality control." After all, it's just what head coaches do.

There are a ton of specifics about the actual discussion you left untouched, again.
No. There really isn't. Locks was hired, as an analyst, to bring in aspects of the spread offense.

Saban did not abdicate the offense to Locks. That makes this statement...
Saban did not abdicate to Locksley.
...incorrect.

ab·di·cate

resign, retire, quit, stand down, step down, bow out, renounce, disown, turn down, spurn, reject, renounce, give up, avoid, refuse, abnegate, relinquish, abjure, repudiate, waive, yield, forgo, abandon, surrender, deliver up, disgorge, cast aside, drop, turn one's back on, wash one's hands o

No. There really isn't. Locks was hired, as an analyst, to bring in aspects of the spread offense.

Saban did not abdicate the offense to Locks. That makes this statement...

...incorrect.

ab·di·cate

resign, retire, quit, stand down, step down, bow out, renounce, disown, turn down, spurn, reject, renounce, give up, avoid, refuse, abnegate, relinquish, abjure, repudiate, waive, yield, forgo, abandon, surrender, deliver up, disgorge, cast aside, drop, turn one's back on, wash one's hands o

Did somebody hurt your feelings? When you have something cute to say about "quality control" get back with me?

Did somebody hurt your feelings? When you have something cute to say about "quality control" get back with me?
Oh Jesus H. Christ. You've been treated with respect this entire thread, points of yours refuted politely and factually, and your response is that of a stubborn child? "Did someone hurt your feelings?"

Grow up, child. Petulance isn't a good look.

Oh Jesus H. Christ. You've been treated with respect this entire thread, points of yours refuted politely and factually, and your response is that of a stubborn child? "Did someone hurt your feelings?"

Grow up, child. Petulance isn't a good look.

The facts are that Terry and I agree/disagree all the time and for a variety of reasons. It won't be the first or the last if people honestly give their opinion about stuff.

I also doubt seriously that he needs you to come to his rescue. My suggestion for you is to relax, your emotional predisposition is showing.

Back
Top Bottom