| FOOD The restoration of all things

The old Pizza Hut dine-in restaurant, here, is now a Purple Onion.

Every time I drive by it, I always think back to going there Friday nights after high school football games. The place was absolutely packed, the parking lot looked a car show, the tunes were cranked, and the quarters flowed into the video games (they had both TRON and Centipede).

Deep Dish Supreme
Breadsticks
Endless Dr Pepper
Awesome 80s tunes
Even awesomer 80s video games
Great friends

Just a helluva great time all around. Best time of my life.

Pizza huts are the easiest to spot, and the old Hardee's are distinctive enough, not to mention the old steak houses. Full Moon BBQ on 280 is in an old Hardee's, don't see them giving way to a Hardee's.

Seeing that Love Stuff (or whatever it is?) on 31 in Hoover where the Quincy's used to be saddens me. If my poor grandmother had any idea whatsoever that it was going to end up an adult novelty shop 3 decades later, she'd have never taken my brother and I to eat there an untold number of times in the 80's.

Every time I drive past an old Pizza Hut I'm thinking of their buffet and a pitcher. 🤷‍♂️
Back during high school, no such thing as a buffet at Pizza Hut, lol.

But years later, I worked at a Pizza Hut dine-in restaurant. And I absolutely HATED the buffet. People would always just stand at the buffet waiting on a certain pizza to be brought out. Then they'd try to "order" a certain type of pizza. We'd usually have pepperoni pizza, cheese pizza, sausage pizza, Meatlover's pizza, Veggie Lover's pizza, Supreme pizza, and desert pizzas. But then people would try to order something like sausage, onions, and mushrooms. Then get mad when we told them they couldn't order pizza for the buffet, and if they wanted a pizza with those toppings that it'd cost full price. The buffet was cheap, and an entire pizza was like ordering 4-5 buffets. We also had pastas...spaghetti and cavatini (which was really good when it was done correctly).

Then, when the clock hit a certain time, the buffet would "close" and we wouldn't bring out any more pizzas for it. Then people would get mad about that. They wanted the buffet and its prices all day long.

Damn. SMH a bit here ... I was out running around the other day and a friend was cooking Cavatini that night. She told me it was a copy cat recipe she'd found.

The thing about those folks and the buffet? Why do people choose to make things so complicated? All we wanted was a cold beer and a couple of slices: the variety was fine.

Back
Top Bottom