| FTBL **The Reality of the LB Corps!!!**

aMAZEnFan

Verified Member
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that our returning LB corps is just about as inexperienced as the true freshmen we have coming in.

Sr-Ezekial Knight-Zeke is a good-sized linebacker with athleticism and speed from the outside who converted from wide receiver and tight end to the defensive side of the ball the last two seasons. The sad thing about Zeke is that he has had a couple of health scares with the last one threatening the rest of his career at Bama. He played fearlessly in 41 games with the majority of those coming in his first few years on offense. Last season, he played a complete season and he started in 11 of those for a total of 14 career starts. He has been pretty productive as of late with 78 total tackles (41 solo and 37 assisted), 12 tackles for loss for 55 yards, 5 QB hurries, 3 sacks for 31 yards, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 3 pass break-ups, & 2 interceptions for 28 yards. Hopefully, this guy can play his senior year so he can provide some much needed leadership & experience in the LB corps. (Experience at the position-17 games)

Sr-Jimmy Johns-Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!! Where do we start here? A fan favorite in one crowd, a critical fan's target in another. He has yet to find his niche with this team, but he is destined to be great in something. He has already showed that he is an impressive physical specimen who loves contact. At running back, he has played in 38 games in 3 seasons at the Capstone. His stats weren't terrible, but clearly his opportunities weren't there b/c he only had 564 rushing yards on 121 carries, 2 rushing TDs, & 4 catches for 57 yards. His play on special teams was admirable and left the thought of what could have been, if he played defense sooner. He currently has 17 total tackles (10 solo and 7 assisted) and 1 forced fumble, but I fully expect these numbers to increase depending on how often he sees the field in his senior year. (Experience at the position-2008 spring game)

Jr-Prince Hall-He has a history of personal concerns, which have kept him out of games, practices, and workouts. He only missed 2 games in 2 seasons. He has played in a total of 24 games and started in 14 of them all at Inside and Middle linebacker. He has tallied an impressive 135 total tackles (72 solo and 62 assisted), 11 tackles for loss for 32 yards, 5 QB hurries, 2.5 sacks for 15 yards, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 pass break-ups, & 1 interception for 10 yards. It would be a shame if Hall couldn't get his act together and return to the field, but that's why Saban recruits the way he does. He only wants the guys that will do what it takes to be a champion.
(Experience at the position-24 games)

Jr-Cory Reamer-He has a history of season-ending injuries where he missed all but 7 games in his first 2 seasons. He played in every game last year, but it was mostly on special teams. So that is only 20 games in which he has played both safety and linebacker in his career at Bama, but he never started. He has only tallied 6 total tackles (5 solo and 1 assisted) and 1 fumble recovery. Saban has seen some good in him at the LB position this past spring, so Reamer will have to continue to improve his size in the 4th quarter program in order to see the field on a consistent basis. (Experience at the position-not sure b/c he was primarily on special teams and he played some safety under Mike Shula. For the sake of arguing, I will say 13 games and 2008 spring game)

Jr-Eryk Anders-He's a back-up linebacker who has appeared mostly on special teams in his first 2 seasons. He's played in only 18 games with no starts, but he hasn't red-shirted, surprisingly. He has only tallied 8 total tackles (6 solo and 2 assisted). Anders hasn't seen the field much so his days could be numbered unless he makes some serious strides in the fall.
(Experience at the position-18 games with most on special teams and 2008 spring game)

Jr-Brandon Fanney-Brandon is a young defensive lineman who had seen time as a backup in his first two seasons, but could play a little Jack linebacker in the 3-4 that Coach Saban wants to implement. At DL, his stats were less than stellar with only 11 games played, no starts, 7 total tackles (2 solo and 5 assisted) and 2 QB hurries. He impressed the coaching staff in the spring, but this may be temporal relief until the true freshmen show what they can do in the fall. (Experience at the position-11 games mostly at DL and 2008 spring game)

Soph-Rolando McClain-He's an impressive physical specimen at the linebacker position, who saw time as a starter in his initial collegiate season. He played in all 13 games and started in 9 of them, even with numerous injuries. He has tallied several stats including 75 total tackles (38 solo and 37 assisted), 5 tackles for loss for 18 yards, 1 QB hurry, 1 sack for 9 yards, 4 pass break-ups, & 2 interceptions for 40 yards. He is one of the most productive young players Bama has had in a long time. Expect him to continue his greatness this season.(Experience at the position-13 games and 2008 spring game)

Soph-Chavis Williams-Chavis is an outside linebacker with size who also saw action on special teams as a true freshman. He has a good frame and speed from the outside in the Tide's 3-4 defensive scheme, where he served as the back-up to Zeke Knight at the "SAM" position. He played in 8 games with no starts while tallying only 2 tackles (1 solo and 1 assisted). He had an excellent spring and could be a valuable asset once he gains the weight and strength needed to man that strongside position. (Experience at the position-8 games and 2008 spring game)

Soph-Charlie Higgenbotham-He's a decent back-up linebacker who played on special teams in his redshirt freshman season last year. Charlie has only played in 10 games, but hasn't started in any. In his limited playing time, he has 12 total tackles (8 solo and 4 assisted). He has been one of the most improved players this past spring, so expect him to get significant playing time, even if he doesn't start. (Experience at the position-10 games and 2008 spring game)

Other notables are Jr-Baron Huber, who played mostly on special teams and full back for Coach Saban. Like Jimmy Johns, he's switching to defense to give linebacker a try. He had some pretty impressive stats defensive out of HS.

Alex Watkins, who arrived on campus last season, redshirted his freshmen year and is a fan favorite to greatly improve this group. He made a few strides in the offseason, but he's still behind many of the other linebackers previously mentioned. He lacks the weight and strength needed to dominate at the position, but the 4th quarter program could prove beneficial for him in the upcoming season.

The guys not mentioned each have an opportunity to at least make the scout team, but if they want to see the field at all in their career, they will have to step up dramatically or miss out on their opportunities.

So, let's see. Jr-Prince Hall is by far the most experienced linebacker we have relative to the number of games he has played at the position, but his return is a big question mark. The next player with the most experience is Jr-Eryk Anders, but he doesn't have a single start and most of his playing time has come on special teams. Next is Sr-Ezekial Knight whose health will be the deciding factor on whether he can finish his senior campaign. So that leaves us with Jr-Cory Reamer whose had previous concerns with the injury bug and the Freshman All-American a year ago, Soph-Rolando McClain, as the guys with the most game time experience. For this reason, I believe that true freshmen, like Jerrell Harris, Donta Hightower, & Courtney Upshaw, will have just as good a shot as anyone. The proof is in the pudding!!!

Nice work-up aMAZEn' ;tr

aMAZEnFan said:
So, let's see. Jr-Prince Hall is by far the most experienced linebacker we have relative to the number of games he has played at the position, but his return is a big question mark. The next player with the most experience is Jr-Eryk Anders, but he doesn't have a single start and most of his playing time has come on special teams. Next is Sr-Ezekial Knight whose health will be the deciding factor on whether he can finish his senior campaign. So that leaves us with Jr-Cory Reamer whose had previous concerns with the injury bug and the Freshman All-American a year ago, Soph-Rolando McClain, as the guys with the most game time experience. :arrow: For this reason, I believe that true freshmen, like Jerrell Harris, Donta Hightower, & Courtney Upshaw, will have just as good a shot as anyone. The proof is in the pudding!!!

I second that...It appears that summer drills is going to be an all out knock down drag out, which can do nothing bad (barring injury) for the team.

Yeah, I can't remember a time where a coaching staff put this much effort into preparing the team to be game ready right from the start of the season. Keep in mind, I was too young to remember the Coach Bryant days.

I know the LB corps is going to be young and inexperienced but a defense isn't built entirely around LB's. A lot of teams that overall have good defenses have weaknesses and holes within the defense. However since there are more strengths than weaknesses the weak link is not exposed to the point of costing the team games. I think this will be the case with our defense this year.

We will see a bigger, deeper and much improved DL and the secondary should be sick. The LB position will probably have to ride the coat tails of these two positions until they get comfortable with the system.

But I don't think the overall success or lack there of hinges on the LB position when the other two areas should be well above average.

Bamabuzzard said:
I know the LB corps is going to be young and inexperienced but a defense isn't built entirely around LB's. A lot of teams that overall have good defenses have weaknesses and holes within the defense. However since there are more strengths than weaknesses the weak link is not exposed to the point of costing the team games. I think this will be the case with our defense this year.

We will see a bigger, deeper and much improved DL and the secondary should be sick. The LB position will probably have to ride the coat tails of these two positions until they get comfortable with the system.

But I don't think the overall success or lack there of hinges on the LB position when the other two areas should be well above average.

In particular, if we can get very good play from our NG position it'll take a lot of the burden off of the guys in the middle. Our OLB's aren't going to know the entire blitzing package but some of it will be installed. A lot of the youth can be overcome with athleticism in areas like run defense, and covering TE, RB's out of the backfield.

One other thing that will be highlighted by the youth is going to be Rashad's experience.

Bamabuzzard said:

See?? This is what I am talking about!!! Great points!!!

The period to build comfort should be just enough time to get our freshmen up to speed. Should get interesting!!!

BTW, funny, but true sig!!!

TerryP said:
Bamabuzzard said:

In particular, if we can get very good play from our NG position it'll take a lot of the burden off of the guys in the middle. Our OLB's aren't going to know the entire blitzing package but some of it will be installed. A lot of the youth can be overcome with athleticism in areas like run defense, and covering TE, RB's out of the backfield.

One other thing that will be highlighted by the youth is going to be Rashad's experience.

TP, who do you think will get the nod at NG from the start??

Great point on Rashad as well.

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
Bamabuzzard said:

The depth chart as I see it a true 3-4 would be Zo, Chapman then Cody when fall comes around. I suspect Chapman and Cody will be 2A and 2B depending on down and distance for which one is on the field.

We are going to have a lot of options on the DL. As example sliding Zo out to DE. If we are in a situation where we need big bodies in the middle we'll have Chapman, Cody and McCullough is a pretty big boy in his own right.

That's not even thinking about the situation if the staff decides to keep Motley on the D.

TERRENCECODY11_21150.JPG

TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
Bamabuzzard said:

The depth chart as I see it a true 3-4 would be Zo, Chapman then Cody when fall comes around. I suspect Chapman and Cody will be 2A and 2B depending on down and distance for which one is on the field.

We are going to have a lot of options on the DL. As example sliding Zo out to DE. If we are in a situation where we need big bodies in the middle we'll have Chapman, Cody and McCullough is a pretty big boy in his own right.

That's not even thinking about the situation if the staff decides to keep Motley on the D.

This fires me up b/c we are finally getting the badly needed depth! Options are something we haven't had in a while!!!

aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
aMAZEnFan said:
TerryP said:
Bamabuzzard said:

This fires me up b/c we are finally getting the badly needed depth! Options are something we haven't had in a while!!!

That is an understatement :D

I think Cody will end up starting at nosetackle....

Cody is bigger, stronger, and bigger than our current Nose Tackles.

Zo will end up back at end or even tackle on a 5 man front. Given our options on the DL and lack of depth at LB, I could see some 5 man fronts in our future.

...and yes, I know I said "Bigger" twice...I did so because he is THAT big.

Big_Fan said:

Zo will end up back at end or even tackle on a 5 man front. Given our options on the DL and lack of depth at LB, I could see some 5 man fronts in our future.

I think Cody will have a role if he gets in good shape, but I don't see anyone beating out Chapman at the nose, assuming Washington will spend most of his time at DE, which I agree with.

Porter said:
Big_Fan said:

I think Cody will have a role if he gets in good shape, but I don't see anyone beating out Chapman at the nose, assuming Washington will spend most of his time at DE, which I agree with.

I think you'll agree that it is going to be a situational rotation based on down and distance.

TerryP said:
Porter said:
Big_Fan said:

I think you'll agree that it is going to be a situational rotation based on down and distance.

Absolutely, I just think at the end of the season, when the snaps are added up Chapman will have had significantly more reps at the nose than anyone else... assuming that Washington finds a home at end. As long as Cody keeps dropping some pounds, he'll certainly get his reps in short yardage and goal line situations.

Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
Big_Fan said:

Absolutely, I just think at the end of the season, when the snaps are added up Chapman will have had significantly more reps at the nose than anyone else... assuming that Washington finds a home at end. As long as Cody keeps dropping some pounds, he'll certainly get his reps in short yardage and goal line situations.

According to his juco coach, he was a deceptively quick every down NT @ nearly 400#...at 350-380 he might surprise. The thing about him is that he DEMANDS a double team at all times. His size and brutal strength equate to too much power for one blocker to handle. We need that presence in the middle.

Big_Fan said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
Big_Fan said:

According to his juco coach, he was a deceptively quick every down NT @ nearly 400#...at 350-380 he might surprise. The thing about him is that he DEMANDS a double team at all times. His size and brutal strength equate to too much power for one blocker to handle. We need that presence in the middle.

Chapman provides the same thing. Caldwell has spoken about keeping Chapman out of the backfield and the problems he's had with him.

Like Porter, I see him in running situations, specifically in short yardage and goal line situations. A lot of this depends on the teams we are facing. I don't see him getting a lot of PT against Clemson because of their ability to attack the flat outside of the tackles.

Damn it Buzzard, those are the insights that I'd prefer to get from a man named TerryP and or the Poorterhouse. :D Just defer questions like that to them first in the future. This ain't yo mamma's message board. Age before beauty there bud. :D

Back
Top Bottom