| FTBL **The Reality of the LB Corps!!!**

Chuck-E-Cheeze said:
Damn it Buzzard, those are the insights that I'd prefer to get from a man named TerryP and or the Poorterhouse. :D Just defer questions like that to them first in the future. This ain't yo mamma's message board. Age before beauty there bud. :D

:D I'll watch my step... :lol:

TerryP said:
Big_Fan said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
Big_Fan said:
I think Cody will end up starting at nosetackle....

Cody is bigger, stronger, and bigger than our current Nose Tackles.

Zo will end up back at end or even tackle on a 5 man front. Given our options on the DL and lack of depth at LB, I could see some 5 man fronts in our future.

...and yes, I know I said "Bigger" twice...I did so because he is THAT big.

I think Cody will have a role if he gets in good shape, but I don't see anyone beating out Chapman at the nose, assuming Washington will spend most of his time at DE, which I agree with.

I think you'll agree that it is going to be a situational rotation based on down and distance.

Absolutely, I just think at the end of the season, when the snaps are added up Chapman will have had significantly more reps at the nose than anyone else... assuming that Washington finds a home at end. As long as Cody keeps dropping some pounds, he'll certainly get his reps in short yardage and goal line situations.

According to his juco coach, he was a deceptively quick every down NT @ nearly 400#...at 350-380 he might surprise. The thing about him is that he DEMANDS a double team at all times. His size and brutal strength equate to too much power for one blocker to handle. We need that presence in the middle.

Chapman provides the same thing. Caldwell has spoken about keeping Chapman out of the backfield and the problems he's had with him.
Like Porter, I see him in running situations, specifically in short yardage and goal line situations. A lot of this depends on the teams we are facing. I don't see him getting a lot of PT against Clemson because of their ability to attack the flat outside of the tackles.

Terry, how good is Chapman going to be? I was at A-Day and him and Alfred McCollough just looked quick as cats and were very impressive. As the year goes on can you see Chapman becoming a playmaker at the DT position?

Don't be surprised to see Upshaw redshirt. Hightower is going to have to shed a pound or twenty, too. Watch out for Harris.

And, if this staff can figure out a way to get Ro at OLB, look for it to happen. From what I've heard, he's impossible for a RB to block on a pass rush.

Elephantitis said:
Don't be surprised to see Upshaw redshirt. Hightower is going to have to shed a pound or twenty, too. Watch out for Harris.

And, if this staff can figure out a way to get Ro at OLB, look for it to happen. From what I've heard, he's impossible for a RB to block on a pass rush.

If Hall comes back that should free up Mcclain to play OLB.

Possibly.

Expect Hall back. He'll miss some games and won't start at the top of the depth chart, but your scenario might be possible as the season moves along and Prince chooses to live by Coach Saban's rules.

You guys make good points on Prince Hall, but whatever happens will happen. I hope he gets to start from day 1, but I know that is highly unlikely. Maybe Prince will pick up where he left off his first season.

I hate that Zeke won't return!!!

aMAZEnFan said:
You guys make good points on Prince Hall, but whatever happens will happen. I hope he gets to start from day 1, but I know that is highly unlikely. Maybe Prince will pick up where he left off his first season.

Unfortunately Prince has missed some very valuable time as he did last year which lead to Rolando McClain over taking him in the starting rotation. He can't afford anymore "hick ups" in his behavior. He's got a lot of ground to make up.

aMAZEnFan said:

He won't be starting from day one. That's coming straight from a guy who is in your signature. And, it ain't Marquis Maze.

The way Coach has handled Hall's situation and what he plans to do about it speaks volumes about his character. I know all of us realize this, but, guys, we've got a winner in Nick Saban.

Elephantitis said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Upshaw redshirt, but I would be if Harris or Hightower did.

Rolando will more than likely play multiple positions at the LB position before it is all said and done.

Elephantitis said:
Possibly.

Expect Hall back. He'll miss some games and won't start at the top of the depth chart, but your scenario might be possible as the season moves along and Prince chooses to live by Coach Saban's rules.

Hall and McClain would be 2 headbusters in the linbacking core. If you remember Hall is the one that basically knocked McFadden out of the game last year.

Oh, yeah. Hitting Prince straight up is like running into a brick wall. Yet, while he has tremendous strength, lateral speed has always been a crutch for him. He struggles covering RBs in the flats and getting to the outside in general. I say all of this realizing that middle linebackers aren't required to have a 4.5, of course.

A mentally focused Hall sandwiched between McClain and Jerrell Harris would be an sick corps of headhunters.

Bones82 said:
Elephantitis said:
Possibly.

Hall and McClain would be 2 headbusters in the linbacking core. If you remember Hall is the one that basically knocked McFadden out of the game last year.

Yep, but not before he dominated our OL. McFadden may have knocked himself out by running so hard. I agree that Hall adds a dimension of toughness, in addition to the experience, the LB corps needs.

aMAZEnFan said:
Bones82 said:
Elephantitis said:
Possibly.

Yep, but not before he dominated our OL. McFadden may have knocked himself out by running so hard. I agree that Hall adds a dimension of toughness, in addition to the experience, the LB corps needs.

I remember the hit that Hall put on him before he went out. Yes he had like a million carries before that but Hall stung his head enough for him to be pulled.

thoughts...

i don't think there's any chance outside of injuries that hightower redshirts. he's extremely intelligent so he'll have no problem picking up the defensive schemes, and he's HUGE.. size wise he is SEC ready. i don't think he needs to lose too much weight because it's all muscle. hell, compare his weight and height to prince's height and weight.

prince hall is about 5'11 and was around 255 (before the rumored weight gain he's had since being off the team) he played fine at that size despite being pretty slow.

hightower is about 6'3" and said he was up to about 260... unlike prince, it's not because of a gut. the guy pretty much lives in the gym. i think after 4th quarter programs he probably won't be able to help but drop a few pounds though.

Re: thoughts...

HIGHTIDES said:
i don't think there's any chance outside of injuries that hightower redshirts. he's extremely intelligent so he'll have no problem picking up the defensive schemes, and he's HUGE.. size wise he is SEC ready. i don't think he needs to lose too much weight because it's all muscle. hell, compare his weight and height to prince's height and weight.

prince hall is about 5'11 and was around 255 (before the rumored weight gain he's had since being off the team) he played fine at that size despite being pretty slow.

hightower is about 6'3" and said he was up to about 260... unlike prince, it's not because of a gut. the guy pretty much lives in the gym. i think after 4th quarter programs he probably won't be able to help but drop a few pounds though.

Well said!!! Hightower will play a huge role in our LB corps. I can't wait to see he, Jerrell and Courtney Upshaw take the field together along with Rolando.

agreed!

that would indeed be a nasty group, but i still expect big things from watkins in the future. he's only a redshirt freshman right now and he's gonna have to really put on some weight. when he's a junior or so, i expect him to be one of our best pass rushers. if he and upshaw both get pegged for the jack, it could be a very interesting position to watch... both are pretty small for the jack IMO... although i think upshaw has said recently that's not where he is expecting to play.

Re: agreed!

HIGHTIDES said:
that would indeed be a nasty group, but i still expect big things from watkins in the future. he's only a redshirt freshman right now and he's gonna have to really put on some weight. when he's a junior or so, i expect him to be one of our best pass rushers. if he and upshaw both get pegged for the jack, it could be a very interesting position to watch... both are pretty small for the jack IMO... although i think upshaw has said recently that's not where he is expecting to play.

For some reason when I think of Alex Watkins, I think of Marcel Stamps. Marcel was a guy that many expected great things from but was nothing more than a special teams guy. I hope Alex can get the Strength and Conditioning he needs to see the field in a more valuable way.

aMAZEnFan said:
HIGHTIDES said:

For some reason when I think of Alex Watkins, I think of Marcel Stamps. Marcel was a guy that many expected great things from but was nothing more than a special teams guy. I hope Alex can get the Strength and Conditioning he needs to see the field in a more valuable way.

With McClain, Hightower, and Harris on the field you will have a extremely athletic group but they will also be very green with the exception of Mcclain. I see McClain blowing up this year barring injury.

Bones82 said:
aMAZEnFan said:
HIGHTIDES said:

With McClain, Hightower, and Harris on the field you will have a extremely athletic group but they will also be very green with the exception of Mcclain. I see McClain blowing up this year barring injury.

McClain is going to do well even IF he is injured. He has already proven this. He plays with heart that you can't obtain overnight! If the rest of the LBs adopt this mindset, look out!!!

Back
Top Bottom