| FTBL The Iron Bowl vs. The 3rd Saturday in Oct.

Better Rivalry?

• Alabama vs. Tennessee

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crimson323

Verified Member
I have done this elsewhere, but i thought I'd try it here. Which is the better rivalry. Alabama vs. Auburn? or Alabama vs. Tennessee?
Explain why you chose. Don't let this get ugly. Because, then it would be my fault.

Closer proximity. The old 50-50 split at Legion Field. Close games most of the time. More competitive over the last 20 years than UT-UA. That game is one of streaks, usually 5 or more to one side each time it swings.

The UT game has gotten meaner the past few years, mainly because of Phat Phil Phulmer and his success against Bama. But I would still say that the Auburn game is a better rivalry.

KnownByTheCompanyYouKeep said:
Closer proximity. The old 50-50 split at Legion Field. Close games most of the time. More competitive over the last 20 years than UT-UA. That game is one of streaks, usually 5 or more to one side each time it swings.

The UT game has gotten meaner the past few years, mainly because of Phat Phil Phulmer and his success against Bama. But I would still say that the Auburn game is a better rivalry.

Better rivalry-yes. More intense-no, not presently. IMHO.

I think the better rivalry, or the traditional one has to be AU/UA, but I still look to the 3rd Saturday as the most intense at this time.

I'd still rather lose to AU than UT! :evil: :evil:

You guys!!! What is the matter with you? We have to beat Auburn! :x

Actually I think the better rivalry right now is with AU. It's still pretty civil for the most part. I mean some Alabama fans even marry and have children with AU fans. I know, hard to believe! :D I wouldn't know anyone like that. :wink: :D

The Bama/UT rivalry is very unhealthy and heated right now for obvious reasons, and to be honest Known it has nothing to do with UT's success vs. Bama of late. :?

BamaDelta said:

Actually I think the better rivalry right now is with AU. It's still pretty civil for the most part. I mean some Alabama fans even marry and have children with AU fans. I know, hard to believe! :D I wouldn't know anyone like that. :wink: :D

The Bama/UT rivalry is very unhealthy and heated right now for obvious reasons, and to be honest Known it has nothing to do with UT's success vs. Bama of late. :?

Exactly. The better rivalry is BAMA vs AU... the most bitter rivalry is BAMA vs Tennessee.

Remember when the UT rivalry used to be a good, friendly rivalry? Back when Ray Perkins and Johnny Majors were coaches? Heck, I remember when most Bama fans would have told you at the time that UT was their second favorite team! All that changed though the day Peyton Manning told everybody how much he loved seeing Alabama lose. He was interviewed after a game and he said it was like Christmas cause UT had won and Bama had lost (and they weren't playing each other that day, I think Bama beat UT a couple of weeks later). But from that point forward, every Bama fan has been like, "Scr*w UT!" I still get upset when I think about it. Why did they start hating us? We didn't start hating them until they starting hating us. Our hate is just retaliatory hatred. It was probably either the streak or the year UT was ranked in the top 5 and we injured their QB in the first Qtr and beat them. It upsets me though if that was it. I remember a lot of people in Tuscaloosa after that game saying, "Man, I really hate UT's QB got hurt." "I was really pulling for them to win it all." "Since Bama probably won't win it all this year, I think I would rather have seen their QB stay healthy and us lose rather than have this happen." Oh well, maybe UT fans never knew we felt that way. Or maybe that was the sentiment T-town, but fans further North acted like they enjoyed seeing UT's QB go down. I'm not really sure. :?

Porterhouse said:
BamaDelta said:

Exactly. The better rivalry is BAMA vs AU... the most bitter rivalry is BAMA vs Tennessee.
That's exactly what I was going to say, better rivalry UA vs AU, bittter rivalry UA vs UT.

RollTideRandy said:
All that changed though the day Peyton Manning told everybody how much he loved seeing Alabama lose. He was interviewed after a game and he said it was like Christmas cause UT had won and Bama had lost (and they weren't playing each other that day, I think Bama beat UT a couple of weeks later). But from that point forward, every Bama fan has been like, "Scr*w UT!" I still get upset when I think about it. Why did they start hating us? We didn't start hating them until they starting hating us. Our hate is just retaliatory hatred. It was probably either the streak or the year UT was ranked in the top 5 and we injured their QB in the first Qtr and beat them. . :?

You see, that is why I hate the Colts and Kenny Chesney's music. Peyton. Big Dork. That kind of attitude is why he has never won a Super Bowl. Besides, I think Tennessee has bigger foes than Bama to look out for. Like their mighty in-state rival, VANDY! Tough....as....nails. Oh boy......

I think I misvoted (is that a word? ) in the poll. There was a hanging chad!

I voted for UA/UT which I think is the more intense rivalry, but the better rivalry is UA/AU. I guess that was the original question. Anyway. :oops:

porkchop said:
I think I misvoted (is that a word? ) in the poll. There was a hanging chad!

I voted for UA/UT which I think is the more intense rivalry, but the better rivalry is UA/AU. I guess that was the original question. Anyway. :oops:

Me too :oops:. I meant to hit the UA/AU but hit the UA/UT. Agree with the UT being more intense and the AU being better rival. Sorry :oops:.

I picked the Iron Bowl. Its a lot of fun. We both love to beat each other and its not nasty like the UT rivalry has gotten. I hate UT and I just love to beat Auburn.

Hate is not a good thing, so as soon as we get back to putting Tennessee in their rightful place, I can stop hating them.

Ih8Vols said:
I picked the Iron Bowl. Its a lot of fun. We both love to beat each other and its not nasty like the UT rivalry has gotten. I hate UT and I just love to beat Auburn.

Hate is not a good thing, so as soon as we get back to putting Tennessee in their rightful place, I can stop hating them.

Wow, I don't know that I will ever get to that point. I abso-freakin'-lutely loathe Tutorsee. And I grew up in Opelika! You would think I would have a chip on my shoulder from being surrounded by all those tiger emblems and orange/blue decor. Don't get me wrong, I love beating Auburn, and it has not happened enough here lately to suit me. But if we are not playing Auburn I tend to give them kudos for wins, especially against in-conference rivals. Maybe I got this from my dad, who attended both Bama and Auburn while completing his education and has a healthy tolerance for AU.

But there is no damn way I could ever root for Tennessee. It is always a good day when they come up on the losing side of the stick, sadly they seem to have the devil's own luck (or a deal with the devil :wink: :twisted: ). I have always contended that I would strip down naked and walk backwards from Atlanta to Auburn singing the War Eagle fight song at the top of my lungs before rooting for Tennessee. Orange makes me ill and hearing Rocky Top makes me want to throw things...for starters...

Better rival? Definitely Auburn.

Most hated? Absolutely Tennessee.

While Alabama has many great rivals and those considered to be like Auburn, UT, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas(since the 1992 inagural season for the Hogs, also the 61 and 79 Bama championships), and more recently MSU(Sylvester Croom controversy). ND can also be considered. Bryant did anyway.

Continue the UA/UT and UA/Au chat, but also give me some insight on who has the greatest rivalries in the nation.

written poll:Alabama vs. Auburn
Ohio State vs. Michigan
Texas vs. Oklahoma
Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
FSU vs. Miami vs. Florida
USC vs. ND
other

Yeah, I'm much more likely to give props to AU these days over UT. I don't truly hate UT. I don't think that's healthy especially when talking about sports, but I have far more respect for AU (and that even includes their coach :shock: :wink: ) than UT.

I look forward to beating AU more though. That's the big game. That one wil turn a bad season into a good one and a good one into a bad one. Back when we won 10 games in '02 we smacked UT, but ultimately lost to AU....most people don't think that season was all that great in hindsight. The UT game is just not to the point where it makes a season. Don't get me wrong though, beating UT is a thing of beauty :D :D .

Back
Top Bottom