| FTBL The 12 team expanded playoff requirements are being adjusted...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
WIth the dissolvement of the PAC-12, the previously agreed upon playoff requirements are having to be adjusted. Now, it is expected that the 4 conference champs will get the top 4 seeds, regardless of their respective ranking. Assuming this is approved, instead of just having to listen to 1 or 2 teams a year bitch about being left out, we are going to have to listen to even more, plus put up with (what would be legitimate) bitching about seeding and byes. I do not like.

Read about it here...

This is what it would have looked like this year...

GDGpCQdXYAABOdc

WIth the dissolvement of the PAC-12, the previously agreed upon playoff requirements are having to be adjusted. Now, it is expected that the 4 conference champs will get the top 4 seeds, regardless of their respective ranking. Assuming this is approved, instead of just having to listen to 1 or 2 teams a year bitch about being left out, we are going to have to listen to even more, plus put up with (what would be legitimate) bitching about seeding and byes. I do not like.

Read about it here...

This is what it would have looked like this year...

GDGpCQdXYAABOdc

Top 8. I much prefer no rematches between 2 teams of the same conference.
Just look at this one that @Brandon Van de Graaff posted. If you look we will have more than two team playing each other in the regular season and playoff.

Arizona was NOT a conference champion! Arizona would NOt even be in the bracket, much less a top 4 seed. Ole Miss would have been in at #11 and Liberty would take Oklahoma's spot at #12. LSU at #13 would have been in before Arizona. The ONLY AQ that was not already in the Top 12 was Liberty.

They were correct in saying there would be two possible rematches in the second round. Those were tOSU-Michigan and UGA-Bama. There would not be a third in AZ-Washington because AZ would not be there.

Last edited:
Sounds like to me all this reeks of conferences acting like territorial mafias, ensuring they get their pound of flesh before they release their playoff participants to go chase a Natty.

I’m okay with Power 4 conference champions getting an automatic bid, but not a top 4 placement and automatic bye.
I get what you are saying and agree to some extent.

I can still see a scenario where a team like, let's say Clemson in '24, that loses to UGA and UofSC, wins the ACC, but gets a bid over a two loss UGA team (say Bama and TX) and they get left out.

It seems easy to see TX and Bama getting in in '24, UGA getting left out with the same record as Clemson (except their losses are to two playoff teams.)

Back
Top Bottom