| FTBL Tenn Victory Cigars

TerryP said:
ijijmijij said:
First:

Saban didn't want to publicly endorse the Cigar tradition.

Second:

Saban said that when he looks at the pregame video and Bear Bryant he sees the word "class" associated with "our greatest coach ever", and that its the most important part of our tradition. He used that to liken the Cigar tradition to being somewhat unsportsmanlike, or unclassy...in other words, the Bear wouldn't approve or something to that effect? But the Bear started the tradition by handing out cigars to players when they beat TN, right? Maybe he didn't know that, I don't know.

Third:

I always thought smoking cigars was classy myself, haha.

Fourth:

I really don't give a damn, just bored, hahaha.

Coach Bryant didn't start it. It was one of the assistants that used to coach at UT but was on the staff at Bama.

Trivia: Who was the assistant coach?

Ahhhh... good to know! Like I said, wasn't sure about this but I thought I had heard it was the Bear.

TerryP said:
ijijmijij said:
First:

Second:

Saban said that when he looks at the pregame video and Bear Bryant he sees the word "class" associated with "our greatest coach ever", and that its the most important part of our tradition. He used that to liken the Cigar tradition to being somewhat unsportsmanlike, or unclassy...in other words, the Bear wouldn't approve or something to that effect? But the Bear started the tradition by handing out cigars to players when they beat TN, right? Maybe he didn't know that, I don't know.

Third:

Fourth:

Coach Bryant didn't start it. It was one of the assistants that used to coach at UT but was on the staff at Bama.

I'd say Ken Donahue.

I'd agree with that answer.

Follow on trivia question:

Back in those days, who was responsible for making sure there were cigars in the locker room after the UcheaT game?

It Takes Eleven said:
TerryP said:
ijijmijij said:
First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

I'd say Ken Donahue.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, it was started by Coach Bryant's long time trainer Jim Goosetree who was also a UT grad.

Bama Bo said:
It Takes Eleven said:
TerryP said:
ijijmijij said:
First:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

I'd say Ken Donahue.

Unless I'm badly mistaken, it was started by Coach Bryant's long time trainer Jim Goosetree who was also a UT grad.

I thought about Goostree, but since he was the trainer and not an assistant I went with Donahue (who is also UT grad). Terry got me on the assistant coach lingo.

RTR,

Tim

BamaFan425 said:
That says purchase age.

I understand clearly what it says. I was mearly pointing out that its 19 now in AL to buy (or smoke, dip, chew, etc) tobacco products.

About the whole "purchase age" thing, try drinking a beer at age 17 and some LEO spot you. I can see it now....."but officer, I didn't buy it so therefore I'm ok to drink it right?" :lol: .

BAMA JAMMA said:
BamaFan425 said:
That says purchase age.

I understand clearly what it says. I was mearly pointing out that its 19 now in AL to buy (or smoke, dip, chew, etc) tobacco products.

About the whole "purchase age" thing, try drinking a beer at age 17 and some LEO spot you. I can see it now....."but officer, I didn't buy it so therefore I'm ok to drink it right?" :lol: .

http://no-smoking.org/dec04/12-08-04-1.html
http://www.tobaccoretailer.com/uploads/IndustryNews/2005/0506_industry_news5.asp

Purchase or consumption.

Hilarious differences in industry and advocacy takes on Alabama's law. Industry pubs say Alabama's law has had no impact on teen smoking rates, while the gadfly site states that teen smoking dropped by a third from the 1999 enactment to 2003. Of course, no sources cited in either article.

RTR,

Tim

**edited to remove the piece about the age to smoke since like 100 posts came through in the time it took me to type :) **

Also, on the CNS not pushing the cigars, I dont have a problem with it. Besides the NCAA rule against handing them out to players, there is the gloating factor involved I think he wants to avoid.

Class, class and more class. Never give someone a reason to call us anything else....cuz then we'd be Miami.

I think it's fine where it is. Lowering it would only increase the number of alcohol related crimes, accidents, etc.

Might be a blind statement, but you see how many 21-25 year olds are straight up stupid when it comes to responsibility and decision making, just imagine 18-20 year olds.

No offense intended, every individual is different, but I'm talking the majority here.

Fair enough, won't matter in the end really. There will be just as many 18-20 year olds drinking then 21-25, for years to come.

Well, you see, the original topic was about cigars. Someone brought up that they could legally smoke now. This turned into a discussion on age limits.

Caught up? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom