| BSB/SB šŸ„Ž TaxAct Clearwater Invitational: BAMA Closes Weekend with 2-1 Win over Florida State

CLEARWATER, Fla. ā€“ In the marquee Sunday night matchup at the TaxAct Clearwater Invitational, 15th-ranked Alabama used a pair of solo home runs to beat No. 7 Florida State in a 2-1 pitcher's duel.

Alabama (6-2) and Florida State (9-3) were scoreless through the first three innings until a pair of solo home runs from Kenleigh Cahalan and Bailey Dowling broke up the perfect game and gave the Crimson Tide a two-run lead. The Seminoles responded with their own solo shot in the next half-inning to make it 2-1, but Montana Fouts (3-1) and the Alabama defense did the work the rest of the way, stranding the potential tying run 60 feet away in the seventh to clinch the win.

The game was Alabama's third this season with multiple home runs, the second homer of the season for Cahalan and the first for Dowling. The complete game was Fouts' third of the season, allowing four runs or less in all of them.

Highlights​

• The win snaps a five-game streak in the series for Florida State, marking Alabama's first win over the Seminoles since Feb. 23, 2018
  • The game was Alabama's third this season hitting multiple home runs, previously doing so against Lehigh (Feb. 10) and UCLA (Feb. 17)
  • The home run was Kenleigh Cahalan's second of the season and Bailey Dowling's first
  • Montana Fouts has thrown three complete games this season, holding the opponent to four or less runs each time

Scoring Summary​

• B4 | Kenleigh Cahalan broke up the perfect game with a first-pitch solo home run (1-0, 0 Out)
  • B4 | Bailey Dowling slugged a solo home run to left (2-0, 2 Out)
  • T5 | The Seminoles answered right back in the next half-inning with their own solo homer (2-1, 0 Out)

Up Next: vs. Samford (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)​

• Wednesday, Feb. 22 ā€“ 6 p.m. CT

I was in the airport waiting on my luggage at midnight last night. Surrounded by the Ole Miss softball squad. Surprisingly, I was not impressedā€¦ By their size! Their size! What, you thought I meant something else? šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom