| BSB/SB 🥎 TaxAct Clearwater Invitational: BAMA Closes Weekend with 2-1 Win over Florida State

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff

CLEARWATER, Fla. – A challenging slate of five games awaits Alabama softball this weekend at the TaxAct Clearwater Invitational presented by EvoShield. The Crimson Tide will face No. 16 Duke, No. 2 UCLA, No. 20 UCF, Indiana and No. 6 Florida State.

This Week: TaxAct Clearwater Invitational Presented by EvoShield (Clearwater, Fla.)​

• Radio: 97.5 FM | nick975.com
  • Thursday, Feb. 16 vs. #16/19 Duke – 12 p.m. CT – SEC Network
  • Friday, Feb. 17 vs. #2/2 UCLA – 3 p.m. CT – ESPN2
  • Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. #20/20 UCF – 1:30 p.m. CT – ESPN+ (streaming)
  • Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. Indiana – 5 p.m. CT – ESPNU
  • Sunday, Feb. 19 vs. #6/7 Florida State – 4 p.m. CT - ESPN

My expectations for this year have been tampered since the end of last year... the off season roster additions (not counting the incoming class) didn't really move the needle for me compared to what was lost. If there is any good news, it's that Bama drew a lighter league schedule than they usually do...

My expectations for this year have been tampered since the end of last year... the off season roster additions (not counting the incoming class) didn't really move the needle for me compared to what was lost. If there is any good news, it's that Bama drew a lighter league schedule than they usually do...
Sort of feels like Murphy has gotten complacent and still living off of that Natty from 11 years ago. Reminds me a little of Gottfried after that Elite 8 run. He needs to make some changes to be honest.

Yeah don’t need a Rah Rah coach need a sho-nuff hitting coach….
Duke will be better in the years to come.
Syd Romero will have duke hitting the freakin ball in a year or two

Yeah don’t need a Rah Rah coach need a sho-nuff hitting coach….
Duke will be better in the years to come.
Syd Romero will have duke hitting the freakin ball in a year or two
Agree. I’m not sure why he hasn’t made a hitting coach change but then again maybe we all know why.Murphy has one assistant that’s been there a long, long, long time.

Sort of feels like Murphy has gotten complacent and still living off of that Natty from 11 years ago. Reminds me a little of Gottfried after that Elite 8 run. He needs to make some changes to be honest.

I'm not a big fan of his anyways and have heard from someone that used to work for him that he's an asshole behind the scenes. But you hear the girls love him, so who knows. He just comes across as fake to me in those in-game interviews and with the way he carries himself.

I'm not a big fan of his anyways and have heard from someone that used to work for him that he's an asshole behind the scenes. But you hear the girls love him, so who knows. He just comes across as fake to me in those in-game interviews and with the way he carries himself.
I don’t know how he is behind the scenes but I’ve actually talked to him a couple times. He was very nice and appreciative that I actually knew who he was. Lot of high school coaches like him as well…

we stayed at the same hotel in Gainesville as the team a couple years ago (yes 2019 our girls swept them). He actually waited in the lobby for my niece to come down to meet him. Granted she got down to the lobby in a minute or 2 but he talked to her like she was one of his players or an actual recruit. Now vanbrakle prothro was very very standoffish. I was in an elevator with her she wouldn’t even say hello.

I don't know that he's gotten complacent, but I do think he's had issues adjusting while much of the rest of the SEC has caught up with him (and Walton). I've heard different reasons (he said/she said stuff) about why that group transferred after last season. But what is for certain is that it left a cloud over the program that was hard to overcome with the portal, which IMO left a major hole in the roster in the #2 arm slot (without mentioning the talented young and already experienced hitters that exited). Murphy has always been very protective of how his hitters are coached... an issue that simmered a bit under the surface (not a huge deal, but it was there) was Murphy not letting Quintin Prothro be involved with helping the hitters. From the outside, I think bringing in a hitting coach would be the best call... but it wouldn't work, and would likely cause further issues, if Murphy didn't hand over complete control.

But, I'm going to reserve some judgment and see how this season goes. Maybe they'll exceed (my) expectations. As far as I know (though I don't follow it closely), the recruiting hasn't fallen off any. If there are lingering issues in the clubhouse or questions about his commitment, that will be the canary in the coal mine.

As far as how he acts behind the scenes, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the guy. Anytime I've ever been around him he's been super nice for whatever that's worth.

CLEARWATER, Fla. – Alabama softball scored five unanswered runs over the first two innings in Thursday's matchup against Duke at the TaxAct Clearwater Invitational before the Blue Devils mounted a late comeback attempt that fell just short as the Crimson Tide held on to win, 5-4.

For the third time this season, Alabama (3-1) scored first, plating three runs in the opening frame. A two-run homer from Ashley Prange extended the lead to 5-0 in the second before Duke (3-3) responded with its own two-run blast in the fourth to break into the run column and make it 5-2. The Blue Devils made it 5-3 with a solo home run in the fourth and the score remained the same heading to the seventh inning. A leadoff double, wild pitch and sac fly scored one for Duke to make it a 5-4 game and a two-out double put the potential tying run in scoring position before a groundout ended the rally as the Crimson Tide held on to win.

The top three in the order went a combined 4-for-10, with Prange posting her third multi-hit game of the season with an RBI single and two-run home run. In the circle, Montana Fouts (2-0) went the distance, striking out eight for her second complete-game victory of the young season.

Highlights​

• Alabama has scored first in three of its four games this season, all of which came in the first inning
  • Ashley Prange now has three multi-hit games so far this season, 14 as a member of the Crimson Tide and 39 for her collegiate career
  • Prange's three RBIs is also a season high, and the home run was her second of the season
  • The complete game was Montana Fouts' second of the season in as many starts and 67th of her career
  • The win was the 78th of Fouts' career, putting her one shy of tying Alexis Osorio (2015-18) for fifth on the Alabama career record books

Scoring Summary​

• B1 | Ashley Prange drove in Kenleigh Cahalan with an RBI single (1-0, 0 Out)
  • B1 | Ally Shipman smashed a double to left field, driving in Prange (2-0, 0 Out)
  • B1 | Jenna Johnson tacked on another run with an RBI single up the middle (3-0, 2 Out)
  • B2 | Prange smoked a line drive home run to center field, scoring two (5-0, 2 Out)
  • T4 | Kelly Torres got the Blue Devils on the board with a two-run home run (5-2, 1 Out)
  • T6 | Torres hit her second home run of the day, a solo shot to right center (5-3, 1 Out)
  • T7 | A sac fly RBI plated a run for Duke (5-4, 0 Out)

Up Next: TaxAct Clearwater Invitational (Clearwater, Fla.)​

• Friday, Feb. 17 vs. #2/2 UCLA – 3 p.m. CT – ESPN2
  • Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. #20/20 UCF – 1:30 p.m. CT
  • Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. Indiana – 5 p.m. CT
  • Sunday, Feb. 19 vs. #6/7 Florida State – 4 p.m. CT

I don’t know how he is behind the scenes but I’ve actually talked to him a couple times. He was very nice and appreciative that I actually knew who he was. Lot of high school coaches like him as well…

Yeah, I have no doubt he's all smiles around fans and coaches of recruits he wants. I honestly believe that is every coach. That's not always who they really are. In the end though, I'm glad you had a positive experience.

Back
Top Bottom