In one of the marquee matchups at this year's TaxAct Clearwater Invitational, 15th-ranked Alabama fell in a close back-and-forth battle with No. 2 UCLA, 5-3, Friday
– In one of the marquee matchups at this year's TaxAct Clearwater Invitational, 15th-ranked Alabama fell in a close back-and-forth battle with No. 2 UCLA, 5-3, Friday night.
For the fourth time in its first five games, Alabama (3-2) scored first courtesy a first inning two-run home run from Ashley Prange
before UCLA (9-0) responded in the bottom half with a grand slam to move ahead 4-2. Prange slugged her second homer of the game in the third inning, a solo shot that made it a one-run game but the Bruins got the run back in the next half-inning with an RBI single to push it to 5-3, which ultimately proved final.
The two homers marked Prange's fourth career multi-home run game, her first since opening weekend last season at Arizona. Larissa Preuitt
also went 2-for-3 batting eighth, her second multi-hit game of her freshman season. Kenleigh Cahalan
led off the game with a first-pitch single, the fourth time in the Crimson Tide's first five games she has reached base safely with the first at-bat of the game, including three hits and a walk. Montana Fouts
(2-1) took the loss with 4.2 innings pitched while Lauren Esman
went five-up, five-down in 1.1 relief innings behind her.
- Alabama has scored first in four of its five games this season, all of which came in the first inning
- Kenliegh Cahalan has reached base safely in four of Alabama's five games in the first at-bat of the game, with three hits and a walk
- With her first-inning home run, Ashley Prange has now hit at least one homer in three of the Tide's first five games so far this season
- Today's game was Prange's fourth multi-homer game of her career, last doing so on Feb. 12, 2022 at Arizona
- Montana Fouts' nine strikeouts pushes her career total to 895, just five shy of becoming the sixth player in program history to reach 900 Ks
- T1 | Ashley Prange hit a two-run home run to left field (2-0, 0 Out)
- B1 | A Jordan Woolery grand slam pushed the Bruins ahead (2-4, 0 Out)
- T3 | Prange hit her second home run of the day, a solo shot (3-4, 0 Out)
- B3 | UCLA answered right back with an RBI single to move back ahead by two (3-5, 2 Out)
Up Next: TaxAct Clearwater Invitational (Clearwater, Fla.)
- Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. #20/20 UCF – 1:30 p.m. CT
- Saturday, Feb. 18 vs. Indiana – 5 p.m. CT
- Sunday, Feb. 19 vs. #6/7 Florida State – 4 p.m. CT