| NEWS Sugar Bowl, New Orleans Bowl limited to 3,000 fans due to coronavirus concerns- Nola.com

S

SEC Sports

The Sugar Bowl, one of the two semifinal games for the College Football Playoff, will be limited to 3,000 fans this season because of COVID-19 concerns.

Dr. Jennifer Avegno, the director of the New Orleans Health Department, gave the attendance figures that will be allowed for the game during a news conference on Thursday.

The Sugar Bowl is scheduled for Jan. 1 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

“It’s unfortunate to be in this position after all the planning that has taken place to stage a safe event," said Jeff Hundley, CEO of the Sugar Bowl. "However, we fully understand the city’s position, and we’ll respect it. While we have restrictions on fan numbers, we’ll strive to meet that goal."

The Sugar Bowl is one of two college bowl games played in the Superdome. The New Orleans Bowl, scheduled for Dec. 23, also will be restricted to 3,000 fans.

Officials with the Rose Bowl, the other semifinal for the College Football Playoff, announced last week that they won't any fans allowed at that game.

The Rose Bowl is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Jan. 1, with the Sugar Bowl to follow at 7:45 p.m. Both games will air on ESPN.

"We’re looking forward to providing a memorable experience for the participants in this year’s Sugar Bowl, and we’re proud that the game will be viewed by millions of fans around the world on ESPN," Hundley said.

It's simply safety protocols gone amuck. I am all for making sure the safety of the fans, workers and teams take precedent but you can't tell me you can't space people out, even 10 feet apart and not squeeze more than 3,000 in the dome and be properly distanced.

I wonder how many people they will allow for the SEC game in ATL? I haven't heard yet.

It's simply safety protocols gone amuck. I am all for making sure the safety of the fans, workers and teams take precedent but you can't tell me you can't space people out, even 10 feet apart and not squeeze more than 3,000 in the dome and be properly distanced.

I wonder how many people they will allow for the SEC game in ATL? I haven't heard yet.

16,500 was the last number I've seen.

16,500 was the last number I've seen.

Atlanta prepares for scaled-down SEC Championship, Peach ...
www.bizjournals.com › jacksonville › news › 2020/11/30

Nov 30, 2020 — A number of changes are coming to the game, including a new time slot. ... SEC Championship attendance limited to 25% capacity ... The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic cleared Atlanta's conventions calendar this year, ... The Falcons have played at 10% capacity (about 6,000 fans) during the 2020 season.

What garbage with that small slap in the face number. I actually thought I may have a shot at tickets this year, but it clearly looks like parents, staff, and administration will get the only ones. If anything, I hope the parents and students get a chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom