| FTBL Stats of interest: UT vs Top 10 teams...

TerryP

Staff
* Top 10 teams and home games haven't been a good combination for Tennessee.

This decade, the Vols are just 1-8 when hosting a top 10 team at Neyland Stadium. Their only win came over California to open the 2006 season.

They haven't beaten a top 10 SEC team at home since winning over Georgia, 37-20, in 1999.

Tennessee hasn't beaten a top 5 team at home since the 1998 national championship season when it beat Florida, 20-17, in overtime. That's Phillip Fulmer's only win at home over a top 5 team as full-time head coach. The Vols beat No. 4 Florida in Knoxville in 1992 when Fulmer was serving as the interim coach for John Majors.

The Vols have been much better on the road against top 5 and top 10 competition. They're 3-3 away from home against top 5 foes since the 1998 national championship season. And this decade, they're 5-6 away from home against top 10 teams.

The last time Tennessee was unranked and beat a top 10 opponent was 1989 when the Vols won at No. 6 UCLA, 24-6. The last time the Vols were unranked and beat a top 5 team was 1985 when they upset No. 1 Auburn and eventual Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson, 38-20, in Knoxville.+

I'd have to look in more detail, but if I have my number right he's less than 25% in the win column versus top 25 since '98.

***Worth noting.

The 1985 UT team won the SEC with a 9-1-2 record. They averaged just over 27ppg, and blew out Miami 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl.

Big_Fan said:
***Worth noting.

The 1985 UT team won the SEC with a 9-1-2 record. They averaged just over 27ppg, and blew out Miami 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl.

I should have mentioned this was looking at Fulmer coached teams.

'85 was a weird schedule for them. Tied two 9 win teams, won against one (Bama 16-14) and lost against another.

I still think we should have won that game. We scored once in the 4th, and had the ball two more times in the last quarter in UT territory but couldn't even manage a FG to take a one point lead.

ORANGEADDICT said:
wasnt last years spanking of georgia a home game and werent they ranked????I really cant remember TerryP,can you??

UGA was ranked, yes. But, not in the top 10. They were ranked at #12 going into that game...yes, it was in Knoxville.

Back
Top Bottom