| BSB/SB So why doesn't Alabama have a lottery that can be used to support education/sports?

That's exactly what happens in our county, Lawrence, one of the poorest in the state, when a Wet / Dry issue or any progressive idea comes before us to vote on. I'm a Southern Baptist and a few years ago my pastor saw a Tennessee lottery ticket on the dash of my truck. He asked me,"What are you doing buying a lottery ticket?" Being the smartass that I am I replied, "trying to win 60 million dollars." He just shook his head and walked on. I asked him later did he think the deacons would turn down a tithe off of 60 million dollars and he grinned and said "No, I'm sure they wouldn't."

One of my many issues with religion, but we wont go there...

I would not play it if it were here, simply from the view that the odds, like most gambling ventures, are stacked against me. There are games of skill that you can gamble on,but picking lottery numbers is not one of them. The Mississippi schools, LSU, aTm, were not mentioned as having this resource available, and they are historically pretty successful at hardball. Perhaps the absence of a lottery is not the explanation, or at least not the only explanation.

The new Joe will help, as will the enthusiasm that comes with a new coach. As in other college sports, success breeds success,and incremental improvement is what we can expect.

Any future lottery votes need to be free from any connection to Milton MacGregor or his ilk to have any chance of passing. I would favor designating the state's share to the impoverished general fund, or at least a big chunk of it.

The old gray hairs in the churches didn't want it and they came out in droves. The other issue like @TerryP said, they had no real set idea as to what the money would be used for. It is bad enough that the state can't manage their budget, but they can go to digging into the Education Fund and take money out and then in turn cut money from schools and cut programs out all together.

I lived in Atlanta for several years and the lottery was a tax on the stupid and the poor who are already on government assistance. More times than I can count you would see these people standing in line to but tickets with a freshly cashed government check while paying for their beer and cigarettes and getting 2 dollars in gas. So then what happens.. they stay poor, stay in the system and our taxes go up go cover it. Give me the difference in tax money and I will invest it and pay for my kid's education. Much like other government programs it keeps the poor..poor and is very counter productive in getting people who are on welfare, disability, food stamps, government healthcare and other programs back into being the best they can be. It's the modern version of slavery from the left to keep people dependent on their government assistance so they can guarantee votes and the left are the slave bosses.

Not one of those gray hairs.. but the lottery sounds better than it is. It isn't you and me who is in there feeding the lottery... its the poor and uneducated who are already struggling.

just my 2 cents

I lived in Atlanta for several years and the lottery was a tax on the stupid and the poor who are already on government assistance. More times than I can count you would see these people standing in line to but tickets with a freshly cashed government check while paying for their beer and cigarettes and getting 2 dollars in gas. So then what happens.. they stay poor, stay in the system and our taxes go up go cover it. Give me the difference in tax money and I will invest it and pay for my kid's education. Much like other government programs it keeps the poor..poor and is very counter productive in getting people who are on welfare, disability, food stamps, government healthcare and other programs back into being the best they can be. It's the modern version of slavery from the left to keep people dependent on their government assistance so they can guarantee votes and the left are the slave bosses.

Not one of those gray hairs.. but the lottery sounds better than it is. It isn't you and me who is in there feeding the lottery... its the poor and uneducated who are already struggling.

just my 2 cents

I agree! I have seen numerous times where some of the kids I have taught, their parents come in to check them in or out and the parent give the reason of "buying lottery tickets!" You can't make this shit up. The school where I teach is currently 70% free and reduced lunch, aka government assistance. These people drive religiously over to GA each week to get more and more tickets.

I agree! I have seen numerous times where some of the kids I have taught, their parents come in to check them in or out and the parent give the reason of "buying lottery tickets!" You can't make this **** up. The school where I teach is currently 70% free and reduced lunch, aka government assistance. These people drive religiously over to GA each week to get more and more tickets.

You kidding me? They actually say that?

@BamaFan334, you would be amazed at some of the excuses you come across.

It's heartbreaking to see. They will spend their whole check to get lottery tickets and cigarettes, win $80 once a month and feel like they are winning. And of the people I used to see buying lottery tickets those made up 8 out of the ten people you would see in line and the other 2 where from out of town.

I have 4 kids that I have to pay for college for.. struggling my butt off to do it somehow but if the way to get an 8000 scholarship was to push those at the bottom further down.. I don think its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom