| ADMIN Site Upgrade is underway...a lot of new features being implemented and there may be a small downtime.

Chance we can get a "jump to page" button at the top of a thread's page?

Not really a complaint or a huge deal, just a minor "irk" when I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to the "jump to page" button if I have to revisit a post after the thread/latest post has "been marked read" when exiting the thread.

@Sgt. Lincoln Osiris you've lost me.

When you're saying "jump to page" are you talking about going to another forum? Another thread?

You're talking about this "jump to page" button and I don't know what button you're talking about here...you using Tapa or something akin?

As in this at the top of the page?
All I can come up with is he's talking about a way to jump to page two, while on page one...and I'm also guessing it's on his phone and he's looking for something through the responsive end of the site...

That's not at the top of the thread index on each forum when you're on a phone...it may be when you're getting into 6.5" and higher displays.

All I can come up with is he's talking about a way to jump to page two, while on page one...and I'm also guessing it's on his phone and he's looking for something through the responsive end of the site...

That's not at the top of the thread index on each forum when you're on a phone...it may be when you're getting into 6.5" and higher displays.
Well that would splain it.

I'm on a phone 99.8% of the time.

Is there an app people use on their mobile? If so what do you use?
Years ago during the WoollyAl migration/pass thru here (I ended up staying), I think @TerryP made it TapaTalk friendly then, but I think it was temporary. I liked Tapa, but kinda got bored with it. Some of it's features were limited in comparison to using the actual site. Plus, this site is mobile-friendly anyway.

Not sure though, @TerryP , but did you keep Tapa compatibility?

Not sure though, @TerryP , but did you keep Tapa compatibility?
Is there an app people use on their mobile? If so what do you use?

I haven't looked at Tapa since then, SLO. Tapa was a crutch to a lot who seemed to think they needed a software package like theirs to surf message forums via mobile devices. (Some, not all. I've spoken with those who enjoyed its user interface.) I've seen a few make the comparison it was a lot like that group of people who longed believed you needed AOL to surf the Internet. It's a strange gulf between two groups of users because there are those who believe a lot of what they do on the 'net requires an app.

As to Tapa here on this site ... one, like SLO mentioned, it's not needed. But, the main reason I pulled the app were their security issues--specifically, cross site script vulnerabilities that they refused to correct. (As an analogy, it's about like trying to get dollarweed out of your lawn. You can pull the leaf and you won't see it for a few days but until you pull the root systems, it's still there and will come back.) Tapa would delete their updates that had issues, but wouldn't address the core issue (which still left the security risk.) "Lipstick on a pig," as some are fond of saying.

For Tapatalk, the app was great and did a lot for them and their bottom line. It was very successful.
For users of Tapatalk, it wasn't as good for them as it was Tapa, but it was better than trying to surf a site that hadn't upgraded its systems to be responsive.
For developers of sites, like this one, it was horrible. It became a point where I was having to work around it...having to make this site compatible with their software...which defeats the overall purpose of what they were doing in the first place: make it easier on the user to use the developers software packages.

The browser :)
You remember back in '08-'09 when we saw the move with cell phone manufacturers and GSMA ... all handsets had the same universal charger (mini usb?) I realize we're a long way from thais happening ... but a universal browser isn't too bad of an idea.

The FF being open source and constantly updating, Chrome being private but still constantly updating...then we're adding the likes of Safari, et. al., it's hard for sites to keep up with browser updates. What catches my eye more often than not are browsers where the software packages are far more up to date than they are...

I haven't really compared a browser across all platforms.

Funny that Chrome forced FireFox into more frequent updates.

Side note, are you watching Valley of the Boom? It's a tv show about the dot com days in the Valley revolving around Netscape.

I haven't really compared a browser across all platforms.

Funny that Chrome forced FireFox into more frequent updates.
I think it's ridiculous you have to sometimes.

Chalk this up to the things that don't make sense file. Like Tapa and its compatability for the very market it was created for, Amazon sells things online and provides a nice picture of that product. Their URL's don't unfurl like others.

Side note, are you watching Valley of the Boom? It's a tv show about the dot com days in the Valley revolving around Netscape.
No. I haven't. I still haven't watched the last season of Halt and Catch Fire. I've seen it advertised...never thought about it when I've looked for something else to watch.

The last binge watch came while smoking some ham and turkey last week..."The Cabot Meteorite 1911" is a neat episode.

Back
Top Bottom