| FTBL SI:'Bama, Auburn offenses have taken different paths

"'It's kind of like what we've done in the past,' Tuberville said. 'Running game first, play-action passing game. Their passing game is not one of the tops in the league, but what they do they've done it well. They're not very complex. Their running game is what has gotten them to this point.'"

I don't know how things like the passing game are measured, nor do I know where Bama ranks on that scale. All I know is that we win games.

You hear it so often it almost becomes cliche, but I agree there's a kernel of truth to it:

K.I.S.S. -- Keep it simple, stupid

laurajmoss said:
"'It's kind of like what we've done in the past,' Tuberville said. 'Running game first, play-action passing game. Their passing game is not one of the tops in the league, but what they do they've done it well. They're not very complex. Their running game is what has gotten them to this point.'"

I don't know how things like the passing game are measured, nor do I know where Bama ranks on that scale. All I know is that we win games.

You hear it so often it almost becomes cliche, but I agree there's a kernel of truth to it:

K.I.S.S. -- Keep it simple, stupid

How the passing game is measured...that is opening a can of worms. Unless you are really interested in delving into this type of stat tracking, I'd suggest you follow your own advice.

Here's your choices:

Take the stats after each game or the season and follow the following...

8.4 X total yards
PLUS
330 X Touchdowns
MINUS
200 X Interceptions
PLUS
100 X Completions
DIVIDED BY
Number of attempts
EQUALS
Pass Efficiency

-VS-

K.I.S.S. = looking it up on a stat sheet.

Seriously,

Two things I look at when it comes to our pass game. One, the % of passes completed and the overall efficiency of the passing game.

In both of those categories, we rank in the top third in conference play.

Our passing game isn't rated highly because we aren't putting a lot of yards on the stat sheet at the end of the game. But, then again, we don't have to either.

One disagreement I had with some friends who are also Arkansas fans this year is they kept talking about their passing game being ranked at the top of the conference. They were, in total yards per game.

And, we see how their season has worked itself out as well.

Last, but not least...

I can't force myself to care any less than I do right now when it comes to what Tuberville says about our team or our passing game. For that matter, anything their staff has to say as well.

It's all double talk.

Just the other day I hear Emsminger answer a question about Cody along the lines of, "he's not something we've put a lot of thought into handling."

Then, a few questions later it was, "we can run a zone toward him, we'll have to double him..."

Thank you Terry P. for actually making me smile, a rare thing in the midst of finals, hehe.

Statistics are not a minor part of my education right now so I could download data and play with it if the spirit moved me. But that's part of my point--why bother? Number crunching can tell us a lot of things and shed light on stuff otherwise hidden, but choosing what numbers and how to compute them is fundamental to the relative truth of the story they tell. I'd have to agree with you that accurately determining efficiency is far more meaningful than a flat sum such as "total passing yards per game."

The other part of my point is that, even with meaningful statistics about an isolated facet of a team's game, isn't the system designed to reward greater points on the board? In light of that, why would Tuberville (or anyone, for that matter) bother criticizing a team about their pass offense or rush offense or pass defense etc.? The quote (which may be taken out of context, of course) makes him sound like one of the proverbial blind men trying to describe the elephant (no pun intended!).

Lastly, the quote in the article by John Parker Wilson where he said how that McElwain has been coaching him to just go out there and look for someone open is what I was getting at with the idea of K.I.S.S. Reminds me of watching baseball last summer and hearing commentators discuss Atlanta Braves' Jeff Franceour's struggle at the bat. "Don't you think sometimes it comes down 'See ball, hit ball'?" was a favorite observation of Skip Carey before he passed away.

You've answered your own thoughts in a manner of speaking when you use the word context.

As example, when Croom was talking about this game he kept harping on the point of the kicking game. Why do you think that was? Perhaps, their inability to contain Javy?

With Tuberville, in context, his comments weren't directed at anyone looking at this game other than one particular fan base.

Something the chew on...

IF you look at head to head competition and take the Ole Miss game you could draw the conclusion that Auburn has a better offense than we do because they had more total yards. Granted, it was about 50.

But, you'll also see they managed about 50 yards rushing vs Bama's 150+.

Oh, but they had over 300 passing vs our 200.

What does that tell you in the end? They still lost.

Somethings you have to weigh. As example, Auburn had the ball 4X in the red zone vs Georgia and came away with zero points. They can move the ball...but, killed themselves 4X with two fumbles and twice they couldn't make a first down.

Bottom line....I don't see the first part of this game as a cakewalk...but, I do see us winning in the end.

Back
Top Bottom