| FTBL Should Prothro's Number Be Retired?

Should Tyrone Prothro's Jersey Number Be Retired?

• Total voters

bamatommy

I think Tyrone Prothro's jersey number---four---should be retired. It was a very unique situation. He was having a Heisman-type year, and he would have certainly played in the NFL. But that was a career-ending injury against the Gators. It's been two years and he still is having problems with that leg.

I like the idea of numbers worn by greats of the past being rewards to present greats.

Think of all the great players who have worn 54 since LeeRoy Jordan played, or the great quarterbacks who wore 12 after Joe Namath. I think it is more of an honor to Pro to give his number to an especially deserving player.

psychojoe said:
I like the idea of numbers worn by greats of the past being rewards to present greats.

Think of all the great players who have worn 54 since LeeRoy Jordan played, or the great quarterbacks who wore 12 after Joe Namath. I think it is more of an honor to Pro to give his number to an especially deserving player.

What he said.

I love Pro and what he did for The University, but there are many others that deserve their jersey retired just as much as he does. If you start retiring jersies, sooner or later either a lot of folks that deserve it doesn't get theirs retired, or Alabama doesn't have enough jersey numbers to put 22 men on the field.

I do think there should be some form of tribute to all the great players/coachs. Some would argue, that wearing the crimson is in its self a sign of greatness.

bamatommy said:
I think Tyrone Prothro's jersey number---four---should be retired. It was a very unique situation. He was having a Heisman-type year, and he would have certainly played in the NFL. But that was a career-ending injury against the Gators. It's been two years and he still is having problems with that leg.

He probably would have had a shorter career than Palmer did in the NFL.

As much as my heart wanted to say yes, my mind said no and it was right.

Alabama does not retire numbers. We have more accolades than any other team in college football history and we have not retired a number. Alabama does not retire.

negative- Alabama has never retired a jersey. The only two cases I can think of that would justify it would be Pat Trammell and Derrick Thomas both great Tide stars that passed early in life. #12 and #55.

Back
Top Bottom