| FTBL SEC subplots: What’s going to stop Alabama in 2013? - Saturdaydownsouth.com

TerryP

Staff
1. Area of concern

Two teams on the regular season schedule can upset the Tide: Texas A&M and LSU, not to mention a worthy opponent in the SEC Championship Game. If you’re looking for one matchup to exploit against Alabama, it’s the secondary. With Dee Milliner and Robert Lester now gone, Deion Belue and HaHa Clinton-Dix emerge as the two best in the secondary. But replacing Lester and Milliner could be difficult. Corners John Fulton and Geno Smith look the part, and Vinnie Sunseri and Landon Collins do, too. Johnny Manziel and Zach Mettenberger can both exploit the secondary if given time. That’s not to say they will, but corner is the Tide’s weakest position entering 2013. I’m not buying all the Belue hype yet, and replacing Milliner could be trouble. However, the secondary is Nick Saban’s baby, and he has more than enough talent and depth to fill both positions.

2. AJ and legacy

AJ McCarron’s main agenda at SEC Media Days was to make sure everyone knows he’s the anti-Manziel, in a very polite manner. Although they’re close, he’s the antithesis of Manziel. He’s all about winning and not about himself. He’s Alabama’s focused and poised leader Nick Saban knows he can trust and can ultimately gel a unit for a greater accomplishment. McCarron will go down as Alabama’s best quarterback ever, and I’m sure that’s fine with McCarron as long as winning is part of the recipe.

3. No. 2

Who’s going to become Bama’s No. 2 RB to share carries with TJ Yeldon? There’s a slew of talented rock toters already assembled. Kenyan Drake, Jalston Fowler, Derrick Henry, Dee Hart, Tyren Jones, Alvin Kamara and Altee Tenpenny. That’s a stacked and loaded depth chart with not enough carries to go around. The one guy to look for here is Henry. He’s a mountain of a young man at 6-3, 245 pounds, and the early enrollee is already familiar with the offense and physically ready to compete now. Drake will also work into the rotation. All combine to help keep Yeldon healthy and physically rested.

4. Staff

Nick Saban has primarily held his staff together throughout his tenure. But the one assistant who is likely to take another head coaching position isn’t Kirby Smart. It’s offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier. He led the Tide offense to new heights in 2012, averaging a Saban-era high 38.71 points per game. Nussmeier is innovative, and he’s a better offensive mind than most think. He’s a future head coach.

SDS takeaway:
The Tide enter as the favorite to play for and win their third national championship in a row. If that happens, how will AJ McCarron and Nick Saban’s legacies play out? Saban has already topped the Bear, and would that move McCarron into the realm or make him better than BCS greats Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, etc.? While Texas A&M and LSU will scare folks, the Tide should roll in 2013.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/whats-going-to-stop-alabama-2013/

Here's my takeaway from their takeaway.

Out of four reasons listed that could "stop the Tide in 2013," only one of them really applies.

Take #4 as example. He mentions there's a good possibility Nuss leaves. OK. But, if that is happening after 2013 what bearing does it have on 2013? :headscratch:

#1 might draw some consideration but it makes me wonder about last year's BCSNC more than anything. Why did ND choose to attack Dee instead of Belue? I still can't wrap my mind around that.

On a serious note, the teams that had some success against us last year did so with their passing game. But, how many of them were attacking our corners versus attacking our safeties?

On a serious note, the teams that had some success against us last year did so with their passing game. But, how many of them were attacking our corners versus attacking our safeties?

That seems odd. Since CNS arrival the way to beat us is at our own game. Run the ball, stop the run, and win the turnover margin. (old school football, if you will) I know this is the thing you always pointed out to the Arkansas fans when they always talked about Petrino and what they would do to Alabama. Teams that beat us always managed to run the ball against us, nobody beat us with a pass happy attack. I know that being successful does not equate to beating us, it just seems odd that teams would have success against us, since that has been a strong suit of ours.

Back
Top Bottom