| FTBL Alabama Football: Isaiah Bond to return punts going forward

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
Alabama Football: Isaiah Bond to return punts going forward

1698285586777.png
When the Alabama Football team faced Tennessee, they played their worst half of football in the first half. After halftime, everything seemed to flip the offense started moving the football and the defense was stout. The only problem was the special teams’ units continued to struggle seemingly getting worse in the second half.

Returning punts has been a catalyst all season for the Alabama Football Team and Nick Saban is deciding to make a change. This year Cornerback Kool-Aid Mckinstry has returned punts all season, while he’s an excellent cornerback returning punts hasn’t been his strong suit. This issue came to a head on Saturday as Kool-Aid allowed multiple punts to fall rather than fair catching them resulting in multiple punts downed inside the 20-yard-line with one punt downed on the three.

Yeah, he gave Kool-Aid about as solid of an endorsement as possible today when asked about the return issues.
I think this is CNS doing his thing. He knows Kool Aid is a great athelete and could be a very dangerous return man if he can get his confidence back. He knows he is capable. Talking him up to instill confidence back in himself. He would be dangerous if he can flip that switch back on.

I think this is CNS doing his thing. He knows Kool Aid is a great athelete and could be a very dangerous return man if he can get his confidence back. He knows he is capable. Talking him up to instill confidence back in himself. He would be dangerous if he can flip that switch back on.

Agree. He’s not going to give up on a guy like him easily. He’s seen what he’s capable of, so it isn’t an unknown. He talked about how teams are kicking away and doing more rugby style punts which are harder to judge. All that is true too. I stated the other day that a change should be made, but I’ll defer to Saban. My take is, they are much more likely to kick it to the other guy and we at least get a cleaner fair catch out of it. But, you do give up some big play potential if Kool Aid does happen to get a returnable opportunity. There’s also other things than can do, like with double return guys, which they’ve done in the past.

I saw the interview...Bond has had reps as the #2 returner, so it isn't completely out of the question... I'm just saying I think the writer is making a bit of a leap to word it the way he did, that's all.
Watch the first punt of the UT game. Bonds is in a receiving position, but goes back to regular punt formation.

He's making a HUGE leap. It's TDA stuff. That is not what they have been doing on punt returns.

Back
Top Bottom