| NEWS SEC Network's Booger McFarland on Alabama's starting QB: 'I think it's going to be Jalen Hurts'

• Thread starter Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
  • Start date
M

Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

SEC Network analyst explains why he thinks Jalen Hurts will start the season as Alabama's quarterback.

It was a long afternoon Saturday for Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts during the Tide's annual A-Day game.

Despite the mediocre performance and the long week for the Hurts family, SEC Network analyst Booger McFarland stands firm on who he thinks will take the first snap for Alabama coach Nick Saban's team when it faces off against Louisville in the season-opener.

"I've gone on record after the championship game, and I'll go on record again," McFarland told guest host Peter Burns on "The Paul Finebaum Show." "I think when Alabama takes the first snap this season, I think it's going to be Jalen Hurts.

"Here's why. I think Jalen Hurts is consistent enough. No, he's not that greatest passer, but guess what? He's only been 24-2 (actually 26-2) as a starter. He understands how to run the offense.

McFarland's comments come a week less than two weeks after analyst and former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville made similar comments.

McFarland, a former LSU player, also pointed to the dynamic of a spring game.

"You aren't going to just line up and run the ball all day," he explained. "They are going to want to throw the ball."

Hurts finished A-Day 19-for-37 for 195 yards with an interception and no touchdowns.

"Yeah, he didn't look great at the A-Day," he said. "Guess what? He didn't look good last year at the A-Day and came on and started throughout the season."

That's not to say Tua Tagovailoa won't see the field, McFarland said.

"Tua Tagovailoa is going to play. He's going to play a lot, in my opinion," McFarland said. "I think as we go throughout the season, Nick will decide which guy gives him the best chance to win.

"There a reason Nick hasn't come out and said, 'Hey, we're going with Tua.' Because he, honestly, doesn't know."

He went on to say Saban rewards loyalty and "appreciates a guy who doesn't turn the ball over.

McFarland point to the College Football Playoff national championship win over Georgia when Tagovailoa threw an interception and "probably should've thrown another."

A-Day capped an eventful week surrounding the quarterback competition.

Averion Hurts, father of Crimson Tide rising junior Jalen Hurts, discussed the possibility of his son transferring.

Saban, of course, was asked about the comments and it quickly became the storyline in the state last week.

Since spring started, a number of football personalities have chimed in on the Hurts-Tagovailoa debate.

Florida Atlantic coach and former Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin noted Hurts would have plenty of suitors if he decided to transfer.

Former Alabama quarterback Jacob Coker also offered some advice, as did former Tide QB Tyler Watts.
Mark Heim | mheim@al.com
SEC Network's Booger McFarland on Alabama's starting QB: 'I think it's going to be Jalen Hurts'

Back
Top Bottom