| FTBL SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey Says Conference Is Considering Moving to 1 Division

I hope they do away with rivalry games, they just are based on any fairness... I mean, whoever has Vandy as a rival has a cupcake year in and year out. I'd rather just see a rotating 12 game all SEC schedule and be done with it.

I agree, but I'm looking at it as a wear and tear kind of deal on the players. If you're already in, no reason to risk injury and be good and rested for the playoffs.
If you want to keep wear and tear down, stick with a four-team playoff. Winning the SECCG will amost guarantee a higher ranking and a first round bye. Remember, the 12-team playoff gives a bye to the top 4 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS, not the top 4 ranked teams.

The second really becomes the rules for who goes to the SECCG. It is easily conceivable that more than 2 teams could be tied in the SEC and also not have played each other.
Here's where it gets screwed up.

If you look at basketball as a template for what they may do in football, a three team tie falls to a coin flip. There's also a clause in basketball about winning percentage. If that's included what's the point of scheduling a P5, OOC opponent? There isn't one. Do we want to see the playoff committee decide who plays for the SECC?

Do we want to see the playoff committee decide who plays for the SECC?
I think that is going to wind up being the thing. In cases of tie, two highest ranked go when you get down to the coin toss. This can be avoided with proper scheduling that basically boils down to floating divisions. Call them Group A and Group B. Consists of 8 teams, but they change slightly every year. They all play each other during the year they are a Group. That's 7 games. If we go to 10 then you have 3 from the other group you play. Could be a rival, could be just a member of the other group. But the kicker is that the Groups only matter if we have more than 2 teams tied with the best record. If UGA and Bama are in the same group and go 9-1 in the SEC then they play for the SECCG. If there are 3 teams at 9-1 and head to head doesn't solve it, then the Group records come in to decide who represents their group.

Back
Top Bottom