| FTBL Scout or Rivals?

Duggan27

Verified Member
Who is more accurate on the ranking of prospects? Like Scout has Kendall Kelly as a 5 star but Rivals has him as a 4 star and not even in thier top 100. Also the same with Nico Johnson.

Duggan27 said:
Who is more accurate on the ranking of prospects? Like Scout has Kendall Kelly as a 5 star but Rivals has him as a 4 star and not even in thier top 100. Also the same with Nico Johnson.

Personally, I think it's more art than science. The fact that a kid shows up on the radar of both probably says more than one or the other.

Duggan27 said:

A good rule of thumb is that whichever one has the team you support ranked the highest is the most accurate one.

CtrlAltieDel said:
Duggan27 said:

A good rule of thumb is that whichever one has the team you support ranked the highest is the most accurate one.

Agreed.

A missing factor in star ratings is what a coaching staff can do with the raw talent. Look at the 3 star (or less) players or ones that aren't even listed who come in and make an impact. Coaching is such a big factor. Also the ability of a good coach (like CNS) to see abilities that those in the media do not see.

Duggan27 said:

Let's just see where both end up at the end of the season.

You have to take into account, these are individuals that rank these players. It's all in their perspective and like you and I we are likely to see things differently on different subjects.

A glaring example recently is where ESPN doesn't have Sentimore ranked in their top 250 but both the other sites have him as a solid 4 star.

Here at RTB, when we were discussing last years class one constant was that Marcel Dareus was very under-rated. You'll find the answer to that quickly.

How much film do these services get to watch on most kids? And how do the services know what they are looking at? A 60-second clip of a kid playing elite opponents will not be as useful as 60 from another kid playing against small private schools.

I imagine that it is like video dating services, you can't tell if she's the one or if she is a psycho, stalker chick with that nails-on-the-chalkboard laugh who is waiting to balloon up like her 300lb. mother did after her first child. (not speaking from personal experience...just sayin')

LBS said:
How much film do these services get to watch on most kids? And how do the services know what they are looking at? A 60-second clip of a kid playing elite opponents will not be as useful as 60 from another kid playing against small private schools.

I imagine that it is like video dating services, you can't tell if she's the one or if she is a psycho, stalker chick with that nails-on-the-chalkboard laugh who is waiting to balloon up like her 300lb. mother did after her first child. (not speaking from personal experience...just sayin')

That depends...

A good majority of the amount of film on a kid falls on the family of the player and the coaching staff the kid plays for.

Out of the teams in the SEC, I would have to say that the state of Louisiana may be the worst at getting film of their recruits out. They certainly haven't done a great job.

The smarter coaches at the bigger schools will have film archived for the kids they think have a chance at playing at the collegiate level.

FWIW, there is a growing industry now of people who videotape and highlight certain kids simply for recruiting purposes.

Argo said:
Not trying to pimp out our recruiting forum, but we'll let you know who's legit and who isn't with better accuracy than Rivals or Scout.

I'll add faster as well, our recruiting gurus are the best I've found for Alabama recruiting information :)

I like Scout because they have lists of players who are planning on visiting...I like Rivals because they seem to update their rankings a lot more frequently. But neither are dead on accurate. And another thing to take in to account, that they don't take in to account, is what kind of system that the prospect is going in to. Terrence Cody was a 4-star on Scout and a 3-star (5.6) on rivals. Obviously both of these are off-base...they just weren't able to see what kind of impact a body like TC's would make in a Saban-style 3-4 defense.

BamaFan615 said:
I like Scout because they have lists of players who are planning on visiting...I like Rivals because they seem to update their rankings a lot more frequently. But neither are dead on accurate. And another thing to take in to account, that they don't take in to account, is what kind of system that the prospect is going in to. Terrence Cody was a 4-star on Scout and a 3-star (5.6) on rivals. Obviously both of these are off-base...they just weren't able to see what kind of impact a body like TC's would make in a Saban-style 3-4 defense.

To be fair on TC, when he was signed in Feb he wasn't in the kind of shape he needed to be to perform at the level he has this season.

We were REAL big on TC when he committed because it was pretty simple for anyone to put a guy like him in the NT spot of a 3-4 and see what he could do.

It was the one area we didn't have last year, and it was very, very evident.

Back
Top Bottom