| FTBL Scathing commentary on ESPN

I

imported_porkchop

I agree with some of the article but not all. I think for the most part (the vast majority of it actually) that the guy hit the proverbial nail on the head. No one that I know denies that ESPN is biased. Even grossly biased. But there were statements that I didn't agree with and what kind of bothers me about articles like this is the wording. When you consistently use beeyotch or b-slapped to make your point it comes off as bush league.

I also caught a comment later in the article that mentioned how southern sports journalists don't get equal representation on ESPN, which is true. But he mentions these guys not getting on air for 6 shows a week like Herbstriet, May and Rece Davis do. Rece Davis went to Alabama. Having said that, Rece does little to nothing (that I've seen anyway) to even the odds for us on ESPN.

But anyway, thought you guys might enjoy this one.

ESPN Bias

porkchop said:
I agree with some of the article but not all. I think for the most part (the vast majority of it actually) that the guy hit the proverbial nail on the head. No one that I know denies that ESPN is biased. Even grossly biased. But there were statements that I didn't agree with and what kind of bothers me about articles like this is the wording. When you consistently use beeyotch or b-slapped to make your point it comes off as bush league.

I also caught a comment later in the article that mentioned how southern sports journalists don't get equal representation on ESPN, which is true. But he mentions these guys not getting on air for 6 shows a week like Herbstriet, May and Rece Davis do. Rece Davis went to Alabama. Having said that, Rece does little to nothing (that I've seen anyway) to even the odds for us on ESPN.

ESPN Bias

And I appreciate that. He gives a non-bias view. That's his job, one of the few on air that follow the simple rules of journalistic integrity.

I know how Rece follows Alabama, and it's as obsessive as we do. What most don't know is he's a much bigger basketball fan than most realize.

He's true Crimson.

TerryP said:
porkchop said:

ESPN Bias

And I appreciate that. He gives a non-bias view. That's his job, one of the few on air that follow the simple rules of journalistic integrity.

I agree that he should give a non-biased view but it's hard to stomach when he's the only one doing it and teams like BAMA (especially BAMA) are being ganged up on. I'm not saying that Rece should sing our praises every chance he gets but I would love to see him just stick it to one of those crackerheads just one time when the subject is about Alabama or Nick Saban.

I guess what I'm saying is that he doesn't go our to his way to defend us or do us any favors even when I think it's warranted. He's a grad here just like those other talking heads are graduates of whatever college they attended. Those guys are clearly over the top in their coverage yet no one ever says a word about it.

As the writer said, most sports writers have east coast or midwest connections, and their biases are obvious. Look at the ridicule that Auburn was held up to over the sociology prof, and compare that with the way the national sports media largely ignored a very similar situation involving athletes and Michigan's psychology department.

porkchop said:
TerryP said:
porkchop said:

ESPN Bias

I agree that he should give a non-biased view but it's hard to stomach when he's the only one doing it and teams like BAMA (especially BAMA) are being ganged up on. I'm not saying that Rece should sing our praises every chance he gets but I would love to see him just stick it to one of those crackerheads just one time when the subject is about Alabama or Nick Saban.

I guess what I'm saying is that he doesn't go our to his way to defend us or do us any favors even when I think it's warranted. He's a grad here just like those other talking heads are graduates of whatever college they attended. Those guys are clearly over the top in their coverage yet no one ever says a word about it.

Here's what you have to take into account. How often, do the guys on the show he hosts take a shot at Bama? Sure, you have guys on other shows that do, but they don't on Gameday when RD is involved.

Hell Keith, he surfs Bama message boards and posts on some of the private ones. He'd be more out in the open if it wasn't for some of the testimony back in the Young case where TerryK got called on the stand to testify.

I do agree some of the things said on shows on ESPN are inflammatory towards Bama. But, I don't see them when RD is on the set.

I have said it before and I will say it again;

The reason I don't like ESPN is because they pick sides. It is that simple.

Journalists are not supposed to pick sides. ESPN tries to say they are journalists when they clearly are commentators and pundits, not reporters.

I don't mind people picking sides. I pick sides and I am called a fan. ESPN picks sides and they call themselves journalists. That is what I call a lie.

This article is great...LOL most all of the comments below the article agree with this guy. It's kind of funny to see all the OSU fans getting on there all pissed off. I think this guy speaks a lot of truth in what he is saying.

I agree. Journalists are supposed to be neutral, but many of the ESPN loudmouths are so over-the-top.

I wasn't aware of the grievous things Herbstreit has done. That's inexcusable.

I like Todd Blackledge and Ron Franklin covering Bama games on ESPN, because they're pretty good sports about everything. But a lot of the sports analysts are strident and obnoxious. Too much mouth.

I like to watch the games ESPN televises, especially SEC games, but I could do without a lot of the yapping by cocky ex-players.

HiTide said:
Swamptick said:
I don't mind people picking sides. I pick sides and I am called a fan. ESPN picks sides and they call themselves journalists.

That just about sums up the national media as a whole. Sad but true.

Sports programming on ESPN has reached the point where it's more entertainment than reporting on sports. Since it's only entertainment, the line between opinion and reporting is no longer observed.

Some sportscasters (on local TV and radio) still state when their comments are considered editorial or opinion in nature. WSB's Tony Schiavone in Atlanta still does it. He had an opinion piece after Georgia's first round loss in the NCAA tournament when the foul count was something like 32 to 5, but he prefaced his commentary with something like "my following commentary is an editorial opinion". He then stated that "now we know what SEC football officials do in the offseason: they officiate in the NCAA basketball tournament". He was off the races after that.

RTR,

Tim

Alright you two, don't make me ban you for a week. I NEVER want to see a post again that contains the words

"ESPN" and "journalistic integrity" in the same post, no matter how far apart they are in the text! :D

These journalist job is to be unbiased. I think Rece it the consumate professional at his job. He is truly passionate for Bama and if you talk to him 5 minutes, you'll be well aware that his finger is on the pulse of Tide sports probably more than most of us. But his job is to present the facts and educated assumtions about sporting events, not holler Roll Tide on ESPN. Lets face it, S. Scott has probably hurt himself more than helped himself for all his UNC comments over the years. I think Herbie, has done a fair job at keeping his very close ties to OSU to a minimum (considering he was a player not long ago that may be more difficult but he tries), Rece's goal is to the completely unbiased when reporting the news. I give him credit for that. But get him off the air, and you will see the passion for the Capstone real fast.

As for ESPN, look where they are located... I wonder why they hate the SOUTH Eastern Conference...

Back
Top Bottom