Chris Scott- 1 rush, 7 yards.

RECEIVING
Mike McCoy- 4 for 43 yards
Darius Hanks- 3 for 40 yards
Travis McCall- 3 for 30 yards
Marquis Maze- 3 for 17 yards
A.J. Walker- 1 for 60 yards, 1 touchdown

FIELD GOALS
Leigh Tiffin- Made: 49, 22, 47 Missed: 47, 40.
Corey Smith- Made: 20 Missed: 27

PUNTS
P.J. Fitzgerald- 3 punts, 119 yards, 39.7 average.
Heath Thomas- 4 punts, 149 yards, 37.3 average.

DEFENSIVE STATISTICS

Rolando McClain- 6 tackles, 2 PBUs, 1 TFL
Charlie Higgenbotham- 6 tackles, 1 QBH
Justin Woodall- 5 tackles, 1 interception, 1 PBU
Javier Arenas- 4 tackles, 2 interceptions
Cory Reamer- 2 tackles, 1 interception, 1 sack.

SCORING
Touchdowns- 3 (A.J. Walker 60 yard pass from Fanuzzi; Grant 2 yard run; Grant 31 yard run)
Field Goals- 4 (Tiffin- Made: 49, 22, 47; Missed: 47, 40 Smith - Made: 20 Missed: 27).

Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

Yep, I just saw that. The PC wasn't steamed live today for some reason, so I had not seen that.

Here's where spring doesn't tell you a damn thing.

Woodall, Arenas and Reamer all had picks. Against GM, ok. But, was it all second teamer's on the routes? 3rd teamer's?

It's easy to get excited seeing Javier with 2 picks, but that very well could have been a mistake by the receiver and the ball was just to easy to catch. You know, he breaks outside and the ball is thrown inside when Javy has inside coverage...

That's better then JP at this point. I'm very aware they don't matter in this part of the year, I just wanted to make sure JP wasn't blowing up. ;tr

TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

Yep, I just saw that. The PC wasn't steamed live today for some reason, so I had not seen that.

Woodall, Arenas and Reamer all had picks. Against GM, ok. But, was it all second teamer's on the routes? 3rd teamer's?

It's easy to get excited seeing Javier with 2 picks, but that very well could have been a mistake by the receiver and the ball was just to easy to catch. You know, he breaks outside and the ball is thrown inside when Javy has inside coverage...

For sure. That is probably also the reason why those INT's were not attributed to G-Mac on the stat sheet. Writers and fans would read too much into it. For all we know, like you said, they were picked off on bad route running and juggled catch attempts.

Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

For sure. That is probably also the reason why those INT's were not attributed to G-Mac on the stat sheet. Writers and fans would read too much into it. For all we know, like you said, they were picked off on bad route running and juggled catch attempts.

He(Saban) did say they had a lot of dropped passes, so the tipped or juggled ball is probably it.

Kc said:
Charlie Higgenbotham

How is he coming along on D?
Looked pretty good last spring, just wondering about his progression.

Saban has singled him out a couple of times already this spring, including once today, as a guy who has been doing well. He is also a little bigger and stronger after another year in the weight room.

Kc said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

He(Saban) did say they had a lot of dropped passes, so the tipped or juggled ball is probably it.

One INT was on a juggled pass that I saw on scrimmage highlights, and another was on a tipped pass where a D-Lineman got a hand on the ball. One thing I noticed while watching the highlights though tight the coverage was on defense. The WR's and TE's were covered like blankets on most plays and that put a lot of pressure on the QB's to make perfect passes.

Porter said:
Kc said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

One INT was on a juggled pass that I saw on scrimmage highlights, and another was on a tipped pass where a D-Lineman got a hand on the ball. One thing I noticed while watching the highlights though tight the coverage was on defense. The WR's and TE's were covered like blankets on most plays and that put a lot of pressure on the QB's to make perfect passes.

We have the best GA in the nation helping Coach Smart with our defensive backs. :lol:

Having faith in their development is one of the main reasons I keep pointing to filling the NG slot as being essential to our defenses success next season. I'm sure we'll get burned a time or two per ballgame. But, if we can get that one guy, a guy that will take up two gaps, it'll free up SO much.

You mentioned Coach Saban's comments in the presser about Hig. Another comment he made (didn't come as a shock) was the distance between JPW and the other QB's. Yet, I suspect we'll have 100's forget that if JP has a bad day one Saturday. As much as we tried to tell people here that GM just wasn't ready...I hope they are finally getting that picture especially with it coming directly from Saban's mouth.

TerryP said:
Porter said:
Kc said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Porter said:
TerryP said:
Mac threw them.

We have the best GA in the nation helping Coach Smart with our defensive backs. :lol:

Having faith in their development is one of the main reasons I keep pointing to filling the NG slot as being essential to our defenses success next season. I'm sure we'll get burned a time or two per ballgame. But, if we can get that one guy, a guy that will take up two gaps, it'll free up SO much.

You mentioned Coach Saban's comments in the presser about Hig. Another comment he made (didn't come as a shock) was the distance between JPW and the other QB's. Yet, I suspect we'll have 100's forget that if JP has a bad day one Saturday. As much as we tried to tell people here that GM just wasn't ready...I hope they are finally getting that picture especially with it coming directly from Saban's mouth.

Never been one to push another qb over another just because he had a bad game. JPW just needs some to improve his footwork and the biggy...his concentration. He just seemed to lose focus, imo a lot last year. Looking for a much better year from him and I hope he is successful. Glad to see about Hig, he likes to hit and gets to the ball....he might be another good one. Anyway these guys are young but glad to see Saban feeling that the guys are taking to the systems and putting the past where it belongs. The energy from the team just seems way more positive than last year.I know I said I have a feeling about this year...but its not a wins/lose thing....its the working as a team that I feel will show a different and BETTER team this year. I LOVE to hear there is competition between the guys in practice...it builds unity. You earn that respect.

Kc said:
Never been one to push another qb over another just because he had a bad game. JPW just needs some to improve his footwork and the biggy...his concentration. He just seemed to lose focus, imo a lot last year.

I have noticed that about him. Its subtle, but there is a look. Most of the time he looks nearly emotionless in the face, but I do recall a game where it was time for us to [play well] or get off the pot and he got a bit more wide eyed...looked like someone who was eager to act with a sense of urgency. I commented to my buddies at the time that this was either going to be good or bad. We won.

If someone can be too cool, JPW may be that guy.

Porter said:
One thing I noticed while watching the highlights though tight the coverage was on defense. The WR's and TE's were covered like blankets on most plays and that put a lot of pressure on the QB's to make perfect passes.

GOOD!!! That's the most positive thing I've heard in a while. If we can make plays on Offensive during the tightest coverages and amped up pressure, then perhaps we won't fold under a little bit of adversity as well as put away lesser teams.

A lot of the offensive numbers (or lack of them anyway) would tend to indicate that the offense is still getting used to a new system. The passing numbers especially are pretty lackluster. Not sure how much the defense had to do with that.

VirginiaTider22 said:
I'm in Virginia and out of the "loop"... I have found no stats for Stover. Is he hurt? Did he participate? If he played how did he look? I'm a big N.Stover fan and hope he does big things this year... :D
Yes, he's a little banged up.

Back
Top Bottom