3. Florida
4. Texas Tech
5. Southern California
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Utah
9. TCU
10.Ohio State

I think someone may be tinkering with his computer ranking system to get the results he wants the BCS to use.

That's messed up. I mean what else do we have to do to prove ourselves?!

Number1TideFan19 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Florida
4. Texas Tech
5. Southern California
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Utah
9. TCU
10.Ohio State

I think someone may be tinkering with his computer ranking system to get the results he wants the BCS to use.

beat auburn, then beat florida, then beat the next team...that should just about do it.

planomateo said:
Number1TideFan19 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Florida
4. Texas Tech
5. Southern California
6. Alabama
7. Penn State
8. Utah
9. TCU
10.Ohio State

beat auburn, then beat florida, then beat the next team...that should just about do it.

Nah.Not with the Flo Rita's and Ohio State's out there! We have to go undfeated 12 years in a row for a little respect,I'm sick of the media darlings! They can be flashy all they want! But screw Ugly ol UNDEFEATED Alabama! I can't help we don't put up 100 points a game! We play hard nosed,smashmouth,in your face,kick you in the teeth,breakneck football!

SCREW FLORIDA,TEXAS,OKLAHOMA,and ALL THE OTHER "MEDIA DARLINGS"! We are the Tide! Respect or drown!

The Sagarin rating system is completely mathematic in nature and is based on win/loss records. Bias is not possible. Not saying it's accurate, it's simply an alternative method of ranking teams.

Sagarin's ELO-CHESS ranking (which is the one used by the BCS) ranks the top ten as:

1. Texas
2. Texas Tech
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Florida
8. Penn St.
9. Georgia
10. USC

Sagarin's Nerdy Little Webpage

reger60 said:
The Sagarin rating system is completely mathematic in nature and is based on win/loss records. Bias is not possible. Not saying it's accurate, it's simply an alternative method of ranking teams.

Sagarin's ELO-CHESS ranking (which is the one used by the BCS) ranks the top ten as:

1. Texas
2. Texas Tech
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Florida
8. Penn St.
9. Georgia
10. USC

bias is not possible? Yeah right...slip him a few thousand dollars under the table and see if he doesn't tweak that rating system a little for ya ;)

reger60 said:

1. Texas
2. Texas Tech
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Florida
8. Penn St.
9. Georgia
10. USC

:shock:

So, since his system uses "math" to calculate - it couldn't possibly be biased? :lol:

OK. :wink:

It's funny, because on his website that's obviously what he wants you to believe.

In ELO-CHESS, only winning and losing matters; the score margin is of no consequence,
which makes it very "politically correct". However it is less accurate in its predictions for
upcoming games than is the PURE POINTS, in which the score margin is the only thing that matters.
PURE POINTS is also known as PREDICTOR, BALLANTINE, RHEINGOLD, WHITE OWL and is the best single PREDICTOR
of future games. The ELO-CHESS will be utilized by the Bowl Championship Series(BCS).

First of all, if ONLY winning and losing mattered, the system would be a sorted list. So THATs obviously a gross over-simplification. One of the "unbiased" numbers he emphasizes and therefore probably carries a lot of "weight" in his programming logic for calculating the outcome of ELO-CHESS is "strength of schedule".

Let's have a look at the top 10 schedules according to his system:

1) Virginia
2) Duke
3) Wake Forest
4) NC State
(see any patterns yet?)
5) Texas
6) Georgia
7) Arkansas
8) Washington
9) Miami
10) North Carolina

So, according to him - here's the most difficult schedule in the country so far (Virginia's):

USC
Richmond
Connecticut
Duke
Maryland
East Carolina
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Miami
Wake Forest
Clemson

If there was anyone with two wits to rub together in the BCS, they would stop using this moron's calculations altogether.

Sagarin's system is crap, regardless of where he ranks Alabama.

Look at some of these final rankings since 1980:

1980: 10-2 Nebraska over 12-0 Georgia
1984: 9-1-1 Florida over 13-0 BYU
1987: 11-1 Florida St over 12-0 Miami
1990: 10-2 Miami over 11-0-1 Georgia Tech and 11-1-1 Colorado.
1992: 11-1 Florida State over 13-0 Alabama
1998: 10-1 Ohio St over 13-0 Tennessee
2000: 11-1 Florida State AND 10-1 Miami over 12-0 Oklahoma.
2002: 11-2 Southern Cal AND 12-1 Miami over 14-0 Ohio St

1980 is as far back as I checked. I'm sure it's just as bad further back.

reger60 said:

1. Texas
2. Texas Tech
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Utah
6. Oklahoma St.
7. Florida
8. Penn St.
9. Georgia
10. USC

You can thank LSU almost losing to Troy and then getting spanked by Florida, Georgia, and finally Ole Miss for that.

Back
Top Bottom