| FTBL Saban hat to surpass the Houndstooth?

Porterhouse said:
I would have guessed Ray Hudson.

No, Ray Hudson is the Parakeet! :lol:

parkeet.jpg

Bama1966 said:
I hear what your saying, and agree somewhat, but, I tend to like saying Paul "Bear" Bryant was our coach, and really dont care if they laugh at me. I named one of my sons after Coach Bryant. Proud to have a son with his name.

Its our history, and any school in the nation would give away their history to have Paul "Bear" Bryant as a part of theirs.

I think its possible to enjoy the past, present, and future. I hope Coach Saban's chapter in the long great tradition can equal or surpass Coach Bryants.

Roll Tide!

I never said forget about Coach Bryant, I never said I dont appreciate what he did for the school. But I think as a whole Bama fans lean on it as a crutch. Yes it's great HISTORY, and a great TRADITION. What's that saying about living in the past? But after 25 years it's time to stop using his likeness to sell any piece of garbage as bama merchandise. It's time to stop saying yeah Spurriers okay, but he aint no Bear! No one will ever equal the 6 NC's he had, the record and respect he gained. But if he had coached in the 30's-40's would we still be whipping his name out all the time? Why do we have to have a print of every coach with Bryant? Why does every modern print of a great play or whatever have to have Bryant somewhere in the print?

Thats the end of my useless rant.

RollTideinGA said:
Bama1966 said:
I hear what your saying, and agree somewhat, but, I tend to like saying Paul "Bear" Bryant was our coach, and really dont care if they laugh at me. I named one of my sons after Coach Bryant. Proud to have a son with his name.

Its our history, and any school in the nation would give away their history to have Paul "Bear" Bryant as a part of theirs.

I think its possible to enjoy the past, present, and future. I hope Coach Saban's chapter in the long great tradition can equal or surpass Coach Bryants.

Roll Tide!

I never said forget about Coach Bryant, I never said I don't appreciate what he did for the school. But I think as a whole Bama fans lean on it as a crutch. Yes it's great HISTORY, and a great TRADITION. What's that saying about living in the past? But after 25 years it's time to stop using his likeness to sell any piece of garbage as bama merchandise. It's time to stop saying yeah Spurriers okay, but he ain't no Bear! No one will ever equal the 6 NC's he had, the record and respect he gained. But if he had coached in the 30's-40's would we still be whipping his name out all the time? Why do we have to have a print of every coach with Bryant? Why does every modern print of a great play or whatever have to have Bryant somewhere in the print?

Thats the end of my useless rant.

These coaches names will forever be mentioned when football is a discussion with respect to their association, no way around it...... Bama fans and the Universities and Pro entities will always use their images.....

Vince Lombardi- Green Bay
Paul Bryant- Alabama
Joe Paterno- Penn State
Don Shula- Miami Dolphins/ Baltimore Colts
etc..etc..

Your point is taken. And your dead on about using his likeness. That I definitely agree with, but to me its just the way it is. If coach Bryant won 6 titles in the 30's 40's and 50's, he would still be mentioned with tremendous respect, Wallace Wade and Frank Thomas are still mentioned.

Also, in no way was this meant to single you out. Honestly wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers, just trying to get in on the discussion. :) You made some great, great, points, and my point, is that I am gonna hold on to Coach Bryant, his image and what he accomplished regarding HISTORY or TRADITION. :) :)

Understood. But I know several Packers fans, and I hardly ever hear them say well if Vince was here. As the Bama nation likes to do ALL them time. Sorry its a sore spot with me. I hate the way some people use him just to sell their product, and others run his name like a broken record. Oh well what ya gonna do, pull for the barn! Heck no! :D

ROLL TIDE!

Its amazing to be a Crimson Tide fan! The lengths that we will go to. We love our team and I imagine if Coach Saban had came out there with one of those Madonna Girdles with the pointed boobies and the tassles on the end, that come September 1, you would see BDS filled up with folks doing like wise! RTR!

rammajamma said:
Its amazing to be a Crimson Tide fan! The lengths that we will go to. We love our team and I imagine if Coach Saban had came out there with one of those Madonna Girdles with the pointed boobies and the tassles on the end, that come September 1, you would see BDS filled up with folks doing like wise! RTR!

Nothing surprises me anymore... with television cameras in the house you probably are right.

RollTideinGA said:
Understood. But I know several Packers fans, and I hardly ever hear them say well if Vince was here. As the Bama nation likes to do ALL them time. Sorry its a sore spot with me. I hate the way some people use him just to sell their product, and others run his name like a broken record. Oh well what ya gonna do, pull for the barn! Heck no! :D

ROLL TIDE!

LOL at Pull for the Barn! Heck No! By the way you carry yourself well in a discussion, and have every right to state your opinion my friend. I am old school, and treasure every bit of the times I have seen Coach Bryant at the Capstone. Bama fans use it as their ace in the hole, but I wouldn't trade it for nothing. Bleeding Crimson is all most of us know, and that is what makes it so great to be fans of this great University. Plus having discussions with our fellow Tide Brothers and Sisters makes it that much better.

Roll Tide Friend!!!

Back
Top Bottom