| FTBL Rivals= Georgia's lack of recruiting in-state

After the top two players in the state of Georgia, four-star safety Caleb Downs and four-star running back Justice Haynes, committed to Alabama recently, I was fully prepared to write this section about how Georgia usually owns in-state recruiting and those are misses but the Bulldogs will be fine.Georgia will still be outstanding and it's more than likely that the Bulldogs will finish with a top recruiting class. By no means am I questioning coach Kirby Smart, who is coming off a win over Alabama for the national championship.

But Georgia’s lack of success with in-state recruiting in the last handful of years did surprise me.

Of the top 44 players in the state for the 2023 class, Georgia only has two commits – defensive end Gabriel Harrisand offensive lineman Bo Hughley. In 2022, the Bulldogs landed only 30 percent of the top 10 in-state players. The 2021 class was the best with six of 10 but in 2020 and 2019, the numbers were shockingly low with only two of the top 17 recruits picking the Dawgs.

What Georgia is doing obviously works. I’m not questioning that. But the lack of local recruiting success struck me as surprising.

Have you noticed the mystique that was once Georgia's running back corps isn't the same today as it was five years ago?

I told my dad Kendal Milton wasn't going to be the guy they thought, simply after something hua dad said in his recruitment, "we don't want ro carry the ball more than 10 times a game". I get the mileage and use questions from the NFL, but with that mentality before you ever even make it, it's alarming to me. Zeus and James Cook were nothing to write home about. Kenny McIntosh has been their best back for years, yet Kirby fails to use him.

Back
Top Bottom