| FTBL Reflecting on last week leading up to today.

TerryP

Staff
I can't recall if it was Wednesday or Thursday of last week I had my suspicions confirmed. It didn't sit well with me, but I clearly understood what he was saying.

After practice, one of our defensive starters made the comment in response to a question that he felt the staff had more faith and confidence than the players did in themselves.

I read that once, stopped and then came back to it again. It didn't take but a second for me to go back to the Arkansas game when Saban asked the defense if we kicked a field goal could they hold the Arkansas offense just one more time. Saban had faith in the defense that day demonstrated in volumes with his decision. That field goal choice was questioned, still is by some, but the result is in the books. A win versus Arkansas.

That remained in my mind watching UGA and FSU win versus the Tide. I kept thinking, "they are beginning to believe, but aren't quite there yet."

Then came Saturday...

That morning, between 8-9 EST I was surfing around the 'net just gathering perspectives on what people thought. You may recall an editorial I wrote a few weeks ago about the state of the UT program. With that in mind, I wondered if the fan base was beginning to believe as well. As it happens, some did, some didn't. Hell, I found myself saying a bit after 8AM that I was beginning to suspect this game might end up like UF '05 in the Third Saturday of October game preview. But, just minutes later I was still fighting that suspicion of the players buying into Saban's philosophy in the Rebirth in less than 24 hours thread.

Then came the word of the suspensions just after 9AM...

My first reaction was like many here thinking "this is going to hurt." But, a minute later thought, "this very well may be what this team has needed. This game is going to be how the coaches react and how the players buy into that reaction."

While we don't know how long the suspensions will last and know we don't have the depth two of our remaining opponents do, one thing we can be rest assured of. This team is believing how good they can be with an experience to back it up.

Before this season I thought the season would end up with 9 wins. Delusional is how I was characterized by our two Tiger rivals. But, I keep looking back to Saban's record and how his teams always improved by 3 wins in their first season. Can we take one of the two games against LSU and AU? I don't know, but I believe we can.

Now, this morning, sitting back thinking over the past week I'm reminded of a quote we all have read in the past.

“If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.”

TerryP said:
I can't recall if it was Wednesday or Thursday of last week I had my suspicions confirmed. It didn't sit well with me, but I clearly understood what he was saying.

After practice, one of our defensive starters made the comment in response to a question that he felt the staff had more faith and confidence than the players did in themselves.

I read that once, stopped and then came back to it again. It didn't take but a second for me to go back to the Arkansas game when Saban asked the defense if we kicked a field goal could they hold the Arkansas offense just one more time. Saban had faith in the defense that day demonstrated in volumes with his decision. That field goal choice was questioned, still is by some, but the result is in the books. A win versus Arkansas.

That remained in my mind watching UGA and FSU win versus the Tide. I kept thinking, "they are beginning to believe, but aren't quite there yet."

Then came Saturday...

That morning, between 8-9 EST I was surfing around the 'net just gathering perspectives on what people thought. You may recall an editorial I wrote a few weeks ago about the state of the UT program. With that in mind, I wondered if the fan base was beginning to believe as well. As it happens, some did, some didn't. Hell, I found myself saying a bit after 8AM that I was beginning to suspect this game might end up like UF '05 in the Third Saturday of October game preview. But, just minutes later I was still fighting that suspicion of the players buying into Saban's philosophy in the Rebirth in less than 24 hours thread.

Then came the word of the suspensions just after 9AM...

My first reaction was like many here thinking "this is going to hurt." But, a minute later thought, "this very well may be what this team has needed. This game is going to be how the coaches react and how the players buy into that reaction."

While we don't know how long the suspensions will last and know we don't have the depth two of our remaining opponents do, one thing we can be rest assured of. This team is believing how good they can be with an experience to back it up.

Before this season I thought the season would end up with 9 wins. Delusional is how I was characterized by our two Tiger rivals. But, I keep looking back to Saban's record and how his teams always improved by 3 wins in their first season. Can we take one of the two games against LSU and AU? I don't know, but I believe we can.

Now, this morning, sitting back thinking over the past week I'm reminded of a quote we all have read in the past.

“If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.”

Nice post, Terry.

Good post TP.....I'm with reger on this one. I was talking with the folks beside me at the game and we were discussing our "feel" for the game and I told her I was waiting/hoping for the team to start buying into the system.

We talked about how fRan did much the same thing in 2001 and how the team won the last 3 games including a blowout of Auburn. It takes a while for everything to gel and come together. Get rid of the things in the back of your mind like all the losses in OT and the losing of leads to good teams. (stinking thinking) I hope that the team has turned the corner and believe in themselves as well. It was great to smell all the cigar smoke in the stadium yesterday. :D

rammerjammer said:
Good post TP.....I'm with reger on this one. I was talking with the folks beside me at the game and we were discussing our "feel" for the game and I told her I was waiting/hoping for the team to start buying into the system.

We talked about how fRan did much the same thing in 2001 and how the team won the last 3 games including a blowout of Auburn. It takes a while for everything to gel and come together. Get rid of the things in the back of your mind like all the losses in OT and the losing of leads to good teams. (stinking thinking) I hope that the team has turned the corner and believe in themselves as well. It was great to smell all the cigar smoke in the stadium yesterday. :D

Interesting comparison to '01. We lost by 14 to LSU at home that year and by 11 the week before that to UT. The LSU seemed to be a wake-up call that year but we did face MSU and Southern Miss to close that year out as well.

Right now, I can see how we can beat LSU, but can't quite come out and say I think we might or will. They've got A LOT of experience on defense.

Back to '01...going into the LSU game we'd already lost 4 games. UT, USCe, UCLA and Ole Miss. Our scoring average per game then, compared to now, is almost identical.

I'm glad you can see my assimilation TP. I figured I would take some grief, but fRan did much the same thing that we are seeing with CNS now. We played our most complete game yesterday and I hope that we continue to see that throughout the remainder of the season. That was the year we played South Miss late d/t 9-11. They were still coming together in mid-September and who knows how we would have done had that game not been moved. After the Auburn game I think the team felt like they could beat anybody and that carried over into the next year. I hope that our team has that "identity" that CNS has been preaching about and is starting to feel that way.

As a fan I don't have that we feel as though we should win every game yet, but I can see that we are very close. While I would absolutely love to beat LSU just to shut them up, I feel as though it would take a more perfect game than what we saw yesterday. We know it's possible, just don't know. :? I will stick to what I have maintained all year. Anything over 7 wins is gravy. We got a look at what the future looks like yesterday. I tell myself to be patient with the process and enjoy the ride! Roll Tide

rammerjammer said:
I'm glad you can see my assimilation TP. I figured I would take some grief, but fRan did much the same thing that we are seeing with CNS now. We played our most complete game yesterday and I hope that we continue to see that throughout the remainder of the season. That was the year we played South Miss late d/t 9-11. They were still coming together in mid-September and who knows how we would have done had that game not been moved. After the Auburn game I think the team felt like they could beat anybody and that carried over into the next year. I hope that our team has that "identity" that CNS has been preaching about and is starting to feel that way.

As a fan I don't have that we feel as though we should win every game yet, but I can see that we are very close. While I would absolutely love to beat LSU just to shut them up, I feel as though it would take a more perfect game than what we saw yesterday. We know it's possible, just don't know. :? I will stick to what I have maintained all year. Anything over 7 wins is gravy. We got a look at what the future looks like yesterday. I tell myself to be patient with the process and enjoy the ride! Roll Tide

A good portion of me thinks 8 is a given. If there is one thing I am sure of is this team remembers losing to MSU last year. The emotional level of the team for that game may rival UT.

I want to reference this editorial I wrote on UT a few weeks ago with special attention paid to the following sentences.

This unrest of the “powers that be” is only compounded with reports coming out of Knoxville about tensions on the coaching staff. I’ve been told there was an altercation at practice within the last week but the details are still not clear; may never be. The only details that have been revealed were centered around conflicts between Trooper Taylor and John Chavis.

Weigh that against a few things...

One, Chavis (DC) and how he was out coached so badly this past weekend.

If you are not familiar with Trooper Taylor he's considered their "top recruiter" on campus. One of his prize RB's was Hardesty.

Now, even though UT was having success running the ball and they didn't stick with it. Even though Hardesty was completely health.

Here's a quote from him about not seeing any playing time Saturday when asked about in an interview.

But after Hardesty did not play Saturday despite being healthy, he expressed his displeasure to Volquest.com immediately following the game.

"(Expletive) you tell me," Hardesty told the website when asked why he did not have a carry against the Crimson Tide.

He didn't show for practice yesterday in Knoxville. His roommate didn't know where he was. Calls to his cell weren't returned. Calls to his brother weren't returned.

You be the judge...

I'll be honest. The fans all around me were talking about how the UT game could be a breakout game. Most of us agreed that as bad as we wanted it it probably wouldn't happen. Did we doubt? Heck yeah! I have no problem admitting to it.

I'll even go so far as to say I was conditioned over the past few years as a fan to almost expect to lose. This coming from someone who grew up in the Coach Bryant days and absolutely boo-hooed when we lost to State back in '80. One loss was devastating!!

The past few seasons have been rough. It's hard to watch something you love so much crumble right in front of your eyes. It's hard to want something so bad (as a huge win) but really have zero control over it actually coming true. It has just been hard.

I needed to get back to ATL Saturday asap, but at the same time I wanted to cherish every bit of this much anticipated and deserved win. We as a fan base have absolutely been thrown down and stomped on and ridiculed left and right. I stayed and watched almost every person leave BDS Sat. before I made my way out.

It was a special moment, and I think I milked it for all it was worth if that is even possible. :) I'm so proud of our players and staff but just as proud of our fans. We have lots to look forward to, and I'm so excited to put all that other behind.

Do you remember the fumble after the Int by Jackson to start the second half? The UT crowd is singing Rocky Top as Tiffin's kick sails through to extend the lead?

Some say it was the Int. that took their crowd out. It was that play...watch the replay...

Back
Top Bottom