| FTBL Rader Taking All the credit

rammajamma

Verified Member
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/092507/jag_202552431.shtml

Rader said the proof of the staff's work is on the field this season. Alabama has started 3-1 under new coach Nick Saban, but 18 of the 22 starters in last Saturday night's overtime loss to Georgia were Shula recruits - including quarterback John Parker Wilson and running back Terry Grant, the Southeastern Conference's second-leading rusher (483 yards). The other four starters came in for the 2003 season, but that class was signed by Price before he was fired.

Well, Dave Rader can say whatever he wants but even a blind man can see that the difference in performance between the two staffs and the players is like night and day.

Rader and Shula might have recruited these kids but that is where it begins and ends IMHO.

Is Rader also going to take credit for our overall lack of talent and depth on defense too? I mean, he and Shula recruited them all right? :roll:

Look, I still love the heck out of Mike Shula, and I appreciate everything that he and Rader did at Alabama. You can't always measure desire and dedication by wins and losses alone, but articles like this really get under my skin. The whole tone of the article is that the former staff didn't get a fair shake and that we're all dillusional fans for expecting winning seasons. Had we just left things alone then somehow, miraculously, things would have just magically corrected themselves and worked out.

People that write articles about us should try walking a mile in our shoes under the former coaching staff. That's all I can say.

First of all, I can't say I'm surprised this article is coming out of Jacksonville this week. I understand where Shula is coaching, but I also understand even more that Alabama is coming to town this week. Ironic it's stuck in the Jaguars Newsroom.

Rader is a good man at heart. So, part of me says he's just talking a party line about the reasons the staff was dismissed.

He mentions that they weren't given the time to do the job they were hired to do, but, fails to mention the groundwork the staff had laid down would not have gotten us there. Developing winning football teams requires a great deal of character on the part of the players themselves. If the character isn't there, the winning doesn't follow the majority of the time.

Granted, there are programs that have had success and done so with players of ill-repute. Miami comes to mind. It just so happens, building that kind of base isn't something that was going to fly with the powers that be.

I appreciate that.

By all accounts, Rader is a good man. He is being loyal to a guy that was very loyal to him. As a whole, Shula's staff was in over the heads and it started at the top, but to this day I still think Rader absorbed a lot of unnecessary blame. Regardless, BAMA is much better off now than they were then, and that is really all I care about. To himself, I'm sure even Rader would admit that.

Porterhouse said:
By all accounts, Rader is a good man. He is being loyal to a guy that was very loyal to him. As a whole, Shula's staff was in over the heads and it started at the top, but to this day I still think Rader absorbed a lot of unnecessary blame. Regardless, BAMA is much better off now than they were then, and that is really all I care about. To himself, I'm sure even Rader would admit that.

Which is ironic considering that the conscensus among BAMA fans is that Rader wasn't allowed to pee on his own. I don't know that Shula took over the OC duties himself but popular opinion seems to indicate that it was all him all the time and Rader was nothing more than an adivsor at most during his time at UA.

Yeah, 'chop, Rader may have been his offensive advisor but Ray Perkins, of all people, was Shula's personal advisor along with Daddy Don. I feel Mike Shula probably lost his job in great part because of the advice given by Ray Perkins.

It sickened me to know that Perkins had any hand in our program as late as last season.

bamafan4ever said:
Yeah, 'chop, Rader may have been his offensive advisor but Ray Perkins, of all people, was Shula's personal advisor along with Daddy Don. I feel Mike Shula probably lost his job in great part because of the advice given by Ray Perkins.

It sickened me to know that Perkins had any hand in our program as late as last season.

I'd heard that come out shortly after Shula was fired but I still don't know how true that is. It's a little disturbing though.

That staff was on the field last year, and we they couldn't manage a winning season. I don't see him owning up to that one. But get them out of the picture and the team is in overtime competing to be 4-0, and that is without all the guys who left for the pros.

Typical BS....Out and out lie in the article.

Shula's staff had just four months to install new offensive and defensive systems and evaluate personnel

Defensive staff was in place and already had their system implemented from the spring. And I have harped on this from day one. If Shula was such an offensvie guru, why didn't he learn the offense that was in place and add his wrinkles as necessary. Then next spring implement his offense. I understand that the Price boys may not have been the best employees at the time, but if they could not do their job then send them on. Bottom line. Shula (as one person) could have learned the offense that was in place as opposed to an entire offense learning his system. Could have at least given us one more win.......(see Northern Illinois)

porkchop said:
Which is ironic considering that the conscensus among BAMA fans is that Rader wasn't allowed to pee on his own. I don't know that Shula took over the OC duties himself but popular opinion seems to indicate that it was all him all the time and Rader was nothing more than an adivsor at most during his time at UA.

It's not a whole lot different now. We have people complaining about the calls Applewhite is making during the game, but, it's a game plan that his mentor, Pendry, and MA come up with together. (by no means am I discounting Cignetti's input)

While Rader wasn't coaching the OL (wouldn't have minded that change, couldn't have been worse) he was over-seeing most of the game plan with Shula calling the plays from the sidelines.

Regardless, there is a great deal of improvement comparing one to the other. As example, and it's one of the simplest of things, I love seeing the team breaking the huddle with 15+ seconds left on the play clock instead of the QB lining up under center with a handful of seconds left on the clock.

porkchop said:
bamafan4ever said:

I'd heard that come out shortly after Shula was fired but I still don't know how true that is. It's a little disturbing though.

I saw that notion spread on message forums, a lot. But, to this day, I've yet to see someone I counted as reliable say a thing about it.

Supergenius said:
There is a lot of truth in that article.

RTR

The first 4 paragraphs introduces the article. Yes, there is truth there. The filler material in the article. Truth there also.

The substance of the article, as in, they weren't given a fair shake? No.

Using the phrase Saban is winning with Shula's recruits? It sounds just like the Miles/Saban lines you read daily. I don't doubt, in the least, that was the intent of including those comments in the article.

In all honesty, do you think the former staff could have accomplished what this staff did if they were still at the Capstone? The record would be 2-2, no doubt. A very, very good chance it would be 1-3 with a loss to Vandy.

18 of the 22 starters in last Saturday night's overtime loss to Georgia were Shula recruits - including quarterback John Parker Wilson

To me, this comment makes the whole thing garbage! Yeah, Shula really worked that recruiting trail hard to get JPW to come here, didn't he? Truth is, Shula made the guy grey shirt when he had offers to go to other schools on a full scholarship. JPW was coming here no matter who the coach was. I believe the same is true for Andre Smith and quite a few others. Shula had connections in Florida which made his recruiting a little more effective than Fran's, but the article is giving him too much credit.

Legacy Players

I would like to know how many Legacy players (Sons, Nephews, & cousins of Bama Alumni were recruited during the sanction years) I believe it was more than the average team. They may have signed a lot of them but did they really recruit them. Did JPW go to Bama because of MS & staff or would he have gone to Bama if PeWee Herman was the coach?

Re: Legacy Players

RollllTide! said:
I would like to know how many Legacy players (Sons, Nephews, & cousins of Bama Alumni were recruited during the sanction years) I believe it was more than the average team. They may have signed a lot of them but did they really recruit them. Did JPW go to Bama because of MS & staff or would he have gone to Bama if PeWee Herman was the coach?

His Mom was a cheerleader on the '70 Bama squad...his Dad attended UA and has been very involved in the National Alumni Association...his Uncle attended UA...need I say more?

Re: Legacy Players

TerryP said:
RollllTide! said:

His Mom was a cheerleader on the '70 Bama squad...his Dad attended UA and has been very involved in the National Alumni Association...his Uncle attended UA...need I say more?

How many other players did we have during the sanction years that would have played for Coach Herman?

Back
Top Bottom