| FTBL Question about play calling...

capooth

Verified Member
Prior to this game, I was reading about how some of you thought we would see our coaches dig deeper in the play book. I was wondering if this ended up being true? If we did indeed go deeper into our playbook have we now seen just about every look we are going to see from our offense and defense?

Well, the screen pass was not on display due to the lack of Upchurch. He seems to be out favorite screen back. That's not really a "trick play" or anything, but LSU never saw it, b/c Upchurch was injured.

We also went away from the toss sweep plays, outside of the Coffee TD run.

I'm sure we have many plays on both sides of the ball, tucked away for safe keeping. You can always hide different defensive formations and blitz packages. I'm sure we have certain offensive plays for Julio (for example) that have not been seen.

We could always break out the "Swinging Gate" on offense with Javier Arenas or Julio Jones! lol

~Bryan

I don't think we dug into our bag of tricks for this game or at least I didn't see it. I think we tested their secondary more with Julio because this has been exposed by UGA and UF as their weakness. I still can't get over how much time JPW had in the pocket, so that tells me Miles was putting more back there and rushing less. LSU had a great game plan and their personnel matched ours well. Our mistakes kept them in this one, but they will argue theirs kept us in it. It was a hard fought battle on both sides, but no I don't think we dipped into our bag of tricks.

Frankly, I think it says good things. It says that CNS is willing to let the game ride on the physicalness of his young team against the defending National Champion.

i expected Alabama to run around LSU and i think they could have much more effectively than up the middle and off guard. i also expected to see a lot of screens to RBs. that's what i get for expecting stuff. :D

capooth said:
Prior to this game, I was reading about how some of you thought we would see our coaches dig deeper in the play book. I was wondering if this ended up being true? If we did indeed go deeper into our playbook have we now seen just about every look we are going to see from our offense and defense?

I know of a few things that have been practiced for weeks that we haven't seen yet. I thought we might versus LSU, but we didn't.

i don't remember seeing the sideline pass to Maze that got picked off before. usually he's on the other side of the field or near the middle on those plays right?

From what I seen, the game was mostly on our wideouts. Juilo made some great plays, JPW made some good throws "Yes I said it dam it :lol: ". Our line did someout standing pass blocking did JPW get sacked? I know he did move around, and get free a few times.

Back
Top Bottom