| FTBL Question about A-Day?

Birdman37 said:
maybe im missing something but i didnt think there was anything new except there was more passing.

...which is no different than the last scrimmage which had us running passing formations 3 to 1 over running the ball. With so many new receivers, with a new QB coach and a system that will be more QB friendly, it was a scrimmage to get these guys more comfortable and gain some much needed confidence.

It's easy to see why just looking at the dropped ball with JP. He had receivers drop 10 by my count.

I suspect, SI just looked at the numbers and drew the conclusion it was a new offense. We'll be as balanced next season (run to pass) as we were this past season.

Just to continue on my small rant here. IF SI would have bothered to exercise a little patience, wait and just watch the press conference after the scrimmage instead of just floating something (in this case BS) out there they would have known it was a one day event. Hell, Saban addressed it, specifically, in his press conference. "But NO," says SI. "Let's draw our own conclusions based on no information at all other than what we saw when we glanced at a stat sheet. Never mind the fact Saban said nothing new would be 'exposed' in yesterday's scrimmage."

I've seen a few threads about an article in the H-ville Times this morning suggest Johns will redshirt. But, never mind the fact (let me repeat that, FACT) JJ said he and Saban hadn't discussed it, at all.

TerryP said:
Birdman37 said:
maybe im missing something but i didnt think there was anything new except there was more passing.

...which is no different than the last scrimmage which had us running passing formations 3 to 1 over running the ball. With so many new receivers, with a new QB coach and a system that will be more QB friendly, it was a scrimmage to get these guys more comfortable and gain some much needed confidence.

It's easy to see why just looking at the dropped ball with JP. He had receivers drop 10 by my count.

I suspect, SI just looked at the numbers and drew the conclusion it was a new offense. We'll be as balanced next season (run to pass) as we were this past season.

yea there was a ton of dropped balls but lets just hope their just getting used to each other. McCoy & JP looked like they were in pretty good sync with other.

as for SI, doesnt shock me they just threw some crap out there to have something on it.

Well the offense is gonna be a lil different. We have a new coordinator so things are gonna change a lil. I did read and article from Ian rappaport(sp) where he interviewed Gregg McCelroy about the new offense. Gregg said the way they read a defense is different and that the passing game will rely more on a short passing game. The article is on AL.COM I believe. So our offense hasn't been totaly changed but the passing game is a ll different. Gregg also said the new offense is "quaterback friendly".

One thing I noticed about the offense yesterday that I didn't notice last year was the use of the misdirection play. When we used it we had a TE/H-back either wide open or in man coverage on the backside every time. I have a feeling the TE/H-back position will get a few looks in the passing game this year.

Also a few players that stood out to me yesterday....

1. Mike McCoy -- Big receiver who isn't afraid to catch the ball.

2. Darius Hanks -- Perfect receiver out of the slot.

3. Alfred McCullough -- Handful of tackles and constantly putting his hands up in the passing lanes. I believe he batted at least 2 passes. Very smart d-lineman.

4. Josh Chapman -- This kid owned the center in individual workouts before the game. He's going to be a beast before his career is over for Bama.

5. Chavis Williams -- Very fast. A lot faster than I expected. I'm not as concerned about the linebacker spot now like I was before. I still think 2-3 true freshmen linebackers will get extensive playing time this fall.

Did anyone else notice anything that stood out to them?

I also thought McCullough did a good job. I thought McCleroy had a lot of balls batted down. I think Darrah will end up giving a strong run at the #2 spot. He is a true freshmen, and probably looked the most natural of the backup QBs. Rashad Johnson seemed to be everywhere. Man he has some jets.

eshad said:
I also thought McCullough did a good job. I thought McCleroy had a lot of balls batted down. I think Darrah will end up giving a strong run at the #2 spot. He is a true freshmen, and probably looked the most natural of the backup QBs. Rashad Johnson seemed to be everywhere. Man he has some jets.

Mclain and Johnson were really flying around. Other than the long pass, I though Darrah was pretty inaccurate, but he has a cannon.

It Takes Eleven said:
eshad said:

Mclain and Johnson were really flying around. Other than the long pass, I though Darrah was pretty inaccurate, but he has a cannon.

To me that seemed to be timing and experience. Fanuzzi's throwing action just looked odd to me. Maybe I should have said that Darrah will give Mc a run for 2nd after working all summer with the recievers.

Back
Top Bottom