| FTBL POLL: PLAYOFF SYSTEM

What do you think?

• It hurts the BCS, we need a playoff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crimsonblood82

Verified Member
A lot of Top 25 teams seem to lose every week. Especially this year. Does that make the BCS more relevant in choosing who should be in the national title game? or does it prove that a playoff system is urgently needed?

vote here....

rammajamma said:
We need a playoff, but the way it is now makes every game vital. One loss wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal with a playoff.

i have to disagree with that. In today's bowl system, 64 teams (or however many it is this year, i lose count) go to bowls...so just about every team with a winning record will get in. But with a playoff system of only 16 or even 8 teams...you have to be careful and not lose as much because there are far less teams that make it in.
So the regular season would be MORE vital in a playoff system.

Crimsonblood82 said:
rammajamma said:
We need a playoff, but the way it is now makes every game vital. One loss wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal with a playoff.

i have to disagree with that. In today's bowl system, 64 teams (or however many it is this year, i lose count) go to bowls...so just about every team with a winning record will get in. But with a playoff system of only 16 or even 8 teams...you have to be careful and not lose as much because there are far less teams that make it in.
So the regular season would be MORE vital in a playoff system.

True, but I was thinking more about being National Champion. If we say for example, stay undefeated we should play for the National Championship. But if we lose one game along the way, then we get thrown into the mix with a bunch of other one loss teams.

Under a playoff system all those one loss teams including us will still be in contention for the National Title but under the system we are in now one loss could possibly eliminate you.

I would like to see a playoff but I doubt I will during my time. The idea of having a 16 team field with using 4 bowl sites similar to basketball would be cool. Have them play the Final Game the week before the Super Bowl.

it helps the BCS is they would use it to their advantage. use the current BCS as a seeding element. Turn certain bowl games into play off games and the final two teams left play in the BCS CG.

I would LOVE to see a playoff system. Then the SEC could show were the talent really is. I wanna see USC try and beat somebody from the SEC.

Oklahoma Vs LSU
USC Vs GA
Texas Vs ALA
Penn Vs FLA

Damn that would be one hell of a playoff to watch wouldnt it ?

There's just one problem with a playoff system...and that problem is for the BCS, not us. Take a look in the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, where it talks about playoffs. It has a very KEY message.

It says that if the NCAA ever ditches the BCS and goes to a playoff system...then all sponsorship dollars would be lost. Because the NCAA prohibits any corporate sponsorship of its playoff systems for Division 1-AA, Division 2 and Division 3. So there would be no more Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, or FedEx Orange Bowl. The playoffs would be simple, without any silly company named bowls or games.

That right there hits the nail right on the head. The NCAA will not do away with the BCS because there are too many companies crying and not wanting to lose sponsorship money that they get from bowl games.

Back
Top Bottom