| FTBL Playoff system in NCAA Football?

G

What are your thoughts on a playoff system in college football?

I know we all want one, but what are some ideas on how it could work?

How would it tie in with bowl games?

As an Auburn fan, my response is obvious. With the current system in place, the media seems to have total control on who gets to the big show.. which is against everything college football is about (tradition, etc.). Preseason polls control the destiny of most teams. Repeating the same story over and over, Auburn beat more top ten teams that year than any team in the history of college football (could be wrong). Your talking about a team that beat 5 top ten teams in one season, played a team that should've beaten USC to begin with (obvious bad ref call in the Tech vs USC game), and sat at home only to watch one of the worst matchups in BCS history.

How many more blowouts of a BCS bowl game do we need to watch? How many times does Boise St. need to go undefeated to even have a shot? What about how tough the SEC is every weekend? I'm willing to bet a 3 loss team in our conference could very well compete with the best in the country.

Then you have the Notre Dame issue. Thats a whole story in itself. Automatic bids to the BCS depending on record, millions of dollars awarded to the program (no matter the wins or losses) just for "participating" in the BCS format. Hell, when the BCS meetings take place, the Notre Dame AD gets a seat all to himself whereas all other conferences are represented by a single person.

It's obvious that the current system is flawed. I dont want to see a 16+ playoff, but it'd be great to see the top 6-8 fight it out against each other... with the best being the NC winner.

Lyrically_N_Gaged said:
What are your thoughts on a playoff system in college football?

I know we all want one, but what are some ideas on how it could work?

How would it tie in with bowl games?
never going to happen and would impossible anyway.

I believe that the NCAA should force every team to be in a conference, including Notre Dame. In doing so, every conference will have a conference champion by having a conference championship game. The winner of each conference will then be thrown into a play-off for the national championship game.

This in turn give even the little guy a chance to play for the national championship game.

You can still have the bowl games for other schools, therefore the colleges would still get their paycheck for playing in a bowl game.

RllTd3413 said:
I believe that the NCAA should force every team to be in a conference, including Notre Dame. In doing so, every conference will have a conference champion by having a conference championship game. The winner of each conference will then be thrown into a play-off for the national championship game.

This in turn give even the little guy a chance to play for the national championship game.

You can still have the bowl games for other schools, therefore the colleges would still get their paycheck for playing in a bowl game.

What he said.

Personaly, I'm for the plus 1 system. Leave things pretty much as they are now, and add one more game to be played after the BCS bowls. The 2 highest ranked teams after the Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta have been played plays in the NC game. 4 teams is enough. I could see six and be okay with it. I just don't want to see it watered down like the Basketball tournement. 64 teams is way to many. Out of those 64, only about 12 actually have a shot at winning it all.

RllTd3413 said:

Sounds decent..

RllTd3413 said:

This set up along with what Bama Bo said. That way you can have a clear-cut winner. A +1 set-up in 2004 would have cured all ills. Only have the +1 set up when you need it. Just like in 04 you still had 2 undefeateds after the season....then you have the plus one match up. This also can work with 2..1 loss teams.

The concept of everyone being in a conference is perfect. They will have to have at least 10 teams in the conference and play at least 8 conference games. Also you should have a conference championship game. If you don't think it is important, just ask the folks in Florida or Ohio.

Bama Bo said:
Personaly, I'm for the plus 1 system. Leave things pretty much as they are now, and add one more game to be played after the BCS bowls. The 2 highest ranked teams after the Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta have been played plays in the NC game. 4 teams is enough. I could see six and be okay with it. I just don't want to see it watered down like the Basketball tournement. 64 teams is way to many. Out of those 64, only about 12 actually have a shot at winning it all.

And who would have been our +1 last season, Florida and USC i guess a lot of people would say, but what about Boise State, why shouldnt they get a shot at the NC. I think having the 4 BCS bowls is perfect for a playoff system. Have the winner of the Fiesta play the winner of the Orange, and the winner of the Sugar play the winner of the Rose, it will get u down to the 2 best teams for a clear cut National Champion.

Bama Bo said:

Sounds like a plan, Bo. BCS could add a fifth bowl game (Cotton, Outback, Cap One, whatever) and let the NC game rotate among those bowls each year. For instance, in 2007, select the top 2 teams after the Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, and Rose have played. Those two would meet for the title in the Sugar Bowl. That way, at least one more bowl could get in on the action, and you wouldn't have the title game at the same site as one of the 4 BCS bowls (like it was for 2006).

Back
Top Bottom