| FTBL Phil laments the 2020 Auburn season for the athletic department

18Champs

The 2020-2021 athletic year left a mark at Auburn, a painful one that still stings. In the sports that matter most to the most people, it was devastatingly bad. It's difficult - actually impossible - to blame COVID-19 when every program in college football had to deal with the difficulties it brought.

The football team’s 6-5 finish that got Gus Malzahn fired actually was successful in comparison to the other most prominent sports. The men’s basketball team had a losing record. The women’s basketball team went 0-16 in the SEC. The baseball team had a losing record and finished 12th, barely getting into the SEC Tournament. The softball team also finished 12th, though it got into a regional. Overall, Auburn was 12th out of 14 SEC teams in the all-sports standings.

The distress call has been heard at the highest level.

FRANK DISCUSSIONS AFTER DIFFICULT YEAR

Recent meetings have included head coaches in all sports, president Jay Gogue, athletics director Allen Greene and retired General Ron Burgess, the university’s chief operating officer. The mission is to not have more years like 2020-2021.

From what I’m told, there were frank discussions about expectations compared with the support individual sports, especially so-called Olympic sports, get financially and otherwise. The bottom line from coaches: Competing consistently at the top of the league takes the same kind of support that competitors enjoy.

It appears Burgess will take a more active role in athletics, but details are sketchy and, as is the modern way, will be hard to come by.

ABOUT AUBURN’S BRAND

With the coming of NIL has come lots of talk about “brands.” Most of that talk has been about players developing their personal brands, but what about programs? What about Auburn, particularly Auburn football? I’ve had numerous discussions about that question with people in my business.

Here are some things I’ve heard about how Auburn is viewed:

--Always a threat to be a cntender, but erratic.

--Overshadowed by Alabama’s success despite having more success against Nick Saban than any SEC program. A note: In the past 40 years, Auburn is 21-19 against Alabama.

--Devoted but often unrealistic fan base.

-- No patience. Some point to the fact that Auburn’s last national championship coach and its last coach to get to the national championship game were both eventually fired.

--Faces an annual schedule that would make being a consistent contender difficult for almost any team. Said one: “Would Clemson be where it is if it had to play Auburn’s schedule? I think obviously not. I don’t know who would be.”

--Faces a near-impossible recruiting challenge from Georgia to the east and Alabama to the west.

--Who signed off on that “gosh awful press box?”

WHAT IS AHEAD FOR JORDAN-HARE STADIUM?

Auburn’s football facilities aren’t awful. They’ll be significantly better when the construction of a football-only facility is completed. The South Donahue Residence Hall, where most players live, is first-rate. The academic center isn’t at the top of the SEC, but it’s not at the bottom either.

The most glaring difference between Auburn’s facilities and those of its competitors at the top of the SEC is Jordan-Hare Stadium. Fans make Jordan-Hare a very difficult place for opponents to play, but it lacks the amenities and the wow factor of others.

In 2014, then-athletics director Jay Jacobs endeavored to do something about it, proposing a $145 million update to the north end zone that would have added restrooms, escalators and elevators, a second video board, an on-site kitchen and more premium seats.

“We know it’s important to continue to improve the gameday experience, and that’s why it’s been a focus of mine for years now.” Jacobs said in December of 2014. “We know our fans and donors want more amenities such as more premium seating options but also other amenities that all of our fans will benefit from.”

Jacobs sent out a survey to Auburn people with images and renderings of the projected changes. But even though such renovations would likely pay for themselves in the long run, Jacobs’ proposal got a cold reception from the Board of Trustees. There really hasn’t been much talk about such a project since.

The reality is that most such facilities projects are financed largely through bond issues, another way of saying borrowed money. Auburn’s Board of Trustees has long been cautious, some would say overly cautious, about taking on debt service for athletics. According to a survey last year, the Auburn athletic department’s total annual debt service was approximately half of Alabama’s.

And that’s where things stand as of today.

WHAT ATHLETES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO IN NIL ERA

Even in this unprecedented time in college athletics, athletes face some limitations in what they can do to be paid for their name, image and likeness. Here they are:

--There can be no compensation for work not performed.

--Compensation can’t be contingent on an athlete’s performance or achievement. An athlete’s NIL value might be enhanced by performance, but an athlete cannot have any financial incentive based on points scored, etc.

--College athletes can’t receive benefits inconsistent with institutional policies.

--Athletes are not allowed to wear an athletic brand during competition that is different from the institution’s contract with a different apparel company. In other words, an athlete at an Under Armour school can’t wear Nike branded apparel even if he or she has an agreement with Nike.

All of this could change, of course, if Congress passes a law or someone goes to court and and wins a lawsuit.

SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME NOT GOING AWAY

Some – including me – have wondered if the SEC Championship Game will survive if a 12-team playoff is approved. The answer is that it will absolutely survive and will be very meaningful every year. Here’s why:

Under the proposed expansion, the top four seeds would all go to conference champions. Getting one of those four seeds means getting a first-round playoff bye, clearly a very significant advantage. The downside would be that a team that has clinched a playoff spot might be willing to rest players late in the regular season to assure that they will be full-speed for a conference championship game.

CAN HARSIN DO WHAT OTHERS COULD NOT?

Since Terry Bowden’s first two teams combined to go 20-1-1, six Auburn teams – 1997, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2013 and 2017 - have finished in the final top-10 in the polls. In those 26 seasons since 1994, Auburn has not had back-to-back top-10 finishes. It could have done it in 2005 had it not been for a loss to Wisconsin in the Citrus Bowl.

Tommy Tuberville couldn’t do it. Gene Chizik couldn’t do it. Gus Malzahn couldn’t do it. Now it’s Bryan Harsin’s turn to try.

Wonder why he only did 40 years?
So he could use barn math on the results. Treat a vacated win as a forfeit. Teams are 20-20 on the field. 2020 is not included in the results in the link.

Record of Alabama (vs Auburn), 1981-2020​

SiteFirst MeetingLast MeetingGamesWin %WinsLossesTiesAverage Score
Any
1981​
39​
0.487​
23.51​
19.03​
Home
2000​
2018​
10​
0.500​
5​
5​
28.40​
17.40​
Away
1989​
2019​
15​
0.333​
5​
10​
24.80​
23.60​
Neutral
1981​
1998​
14​
0.643​
9​
5​
18.64​
15.29​

Last edited:
I mean, Auburn used to be an athletic department that would field competitive teams and do pretty well, top third of the SEC and country. Boy, they have fallen off though. Their football team has no recognizable names outside of Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby, and Owen Pappoe. That's a far cry from what they used to be. The basketball team has no names with Cooper leaving. The baseball team, softball, and gymnastics aren't even on the radar really.

I mean, Auburn used to be an athletic department that would field competitive teams and do pretty well, top third of the SEC and country. Boy, they have fallen off though. Their football team has no recognizable names outside of Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby, and Owen Pappoe. That's a far cry from what they used to be. The basketball team has no names with Cooper leaving. The baseball team, softball, and gymnastics aren't even on the radar really.
Owen who? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I could count on one hand how many Barner players names I know throughout their pathetic history. Only one game a year do they show up on my tv.

I grew up in split household....
Mom and little sisterwas AU fan....other sister AU grad..
Me, dad ( grad) and brother Bama fans...
Grandparents,....all AU
They use to buy my kids AU gear...shirts...jackets...stuff toys..etc
pissed me off

But AU was big part of saturdays....radio mostly...
occasionally TV.. gave me some team to pull against....developed major hate for AU

E058F6AD-41F3-4B5B-91C4-FA1C1A3128B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I grew up in split household....
Mom and little sisterwas AU fan....other sister AU grad..
Me, dad ( grad) and brother Bama fans...
Grandparents,....all AU
They use to buy my kids AU gear...shirts...jackets...stuff toys..etc
pissed me off

But AU was big part of saturdays....radio mostly...
occasionally TV.. gave me some team to pull against....hated the bastards
@50+yeartidefan some people have it rough and then to also live in vile country.

The fact that he did 40 instead of 5 or 10 is telling enough. People on the street don't care about 40 years, they care about 5-10. He should have used 2-3 or 3-7 against Bama if he is really talking about public perception..
Here's what they really don't want to publicize... Since Saban arrived Bama has outscored Auburn 485-291. It's not 100%, but most times, when they win, it's close or even a fluke, whereas most of our wins are demonstrative and in some cases complete beat-downs.

You build your product on what makes it look best...
Thats why 40 years were chosen....
Notice they didnt do Championships....SEC...AU 5 Bama 12
Etc. and otherstuff
Coach Saban deserves all the praise he’s received and then some. However, if there’s one small blemish … or one area I wish he had also excelled, it would be his record against cow patty u. I so wish he had treated them as he’s done Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State … or even Ole Miss, UGA, Florida and A&M … or any other SEC team, East or West … other than the barn. So, along with my wish for a few more NC’s, I really hope Coach Saban finishes his career (through the 2028 season) on a 9-0 run against them. He will then leave with a 18-5 record that will closely match Coach Bryant’s 19-6 record. Now that would just be some fine sweet icing on an already very sweet cake!

Coach Saban deserves all the praise he’s received and then some. However, if there’s one small blemish … or one area I wish he had also excelled, it would be his record against cow patty u. I so wish he had treated them as he’s done Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State … or even Ole Miss, UGA, Florida and A&M … or any other SEC team, East or West … other than the barn. So, along with my wish for a few more NC’s, I really hope Coach Saban finishes his career (through the 2028 season) on a 9-0 run against them. He will then leave with a 18-5 record that will closely match Coach Bryant’s 19-6 record. Now that would just be some fine sweet icing on an already very sweet cake!
This..... I have said the same thing many times. Bear gave them no hope. Saban has given them some hope. He needs to completely squash that. I have told this story on here before but will repeat it. An older couple I know told the story that after the 8th or 9th win in a row the wife was lamenting the loss and her husband said well he has to die sometime. That is hopelessness and what I want Saban to do to the Barn in his last few years. Pretty sure that is how the Viles feel and how the Barners need to feel.

Back
Top Bottom