| FTBL Paul Finebaum Warns College Football World Of Developing Situation

There are a number of college football programs that seem to have issues with their head coach right now. But one situation between a coach and the program itself has ESPN’s Paul Finebaum issuing a warning.

Appearing on The ESPN College Football Podcast, Finebaum said that the situation in Florida with head coach Dan Mullen bears watching. He said that there is a lot of anger towards Mullen right now after their recent loss to Georgia.

“Those (final four games) are all very winnable games. Should he lose one of those games, just beware. It’s already nasty and negative in relation to Dan Mullen,” Finebaum said. “I will spare you I’m sure Dan Mullen is in good shape because I think I said that a week ago and he’s the best play caller in America, but fans, the ones I talked to over the weekend in Jacksonville, their anger is growing toward him.”

Finebaum began listing off reasons that people are fed up with Mullen. The biggest factor frustrating the Gators is how they pale in comparison to SEC rival Georgia in recruiting.

“They don’t think he can recruit on an elite level, which is very important when you have Kirby Smart, who is I think the best recruiter in the country, and that includes Nick Saban,” Finebaum said. “Kirby Smart never stops recruiting. I was talking to one of his top people Saturday morning in Jacksonville and we were joking about Kirby because he came over to the set. It’s unusual for a coach on the day of a big game like that, unless it’s GameDay. He’s always out recruiting, he never stops. He’s just one of these compulsive recruiters and he’s very good at it. Dan Mullen kind of does it haphazardly and it has hurt him.”

In four seasons with the Florida Gators, Dan Mullen has never had a losing season. Last year he led Florida to the SEC Championship Game for the first time in several years.

But the Gators have clearly regressed from last year, and sit at a meager 4-4 on the season.

How thin is the ice for Dan Mullen in Florida right now?

"They don’t think he can recruit on an elite level, which is very important when you have Kirby Smart, who is I think the best recruiter in the country, and that includes Nick Saban,” Finebaum said. “Kirby Smart never stops recruiting..."

Spot on regarding Cousin Eddie. But Smart > Saban?!? Gtho

If you cant recruit and are the flag ship ( if they are) university in a state....
In one of the richest states for recruits...yicks
There are a lot of people jumping on Mullen right now. He's easy prey and does himself no favors when it comes to how he handles himself and the media.

However, I don't see mention of the fact he can not recruit off campus now. He's under a show-cause for the 2021 year which bans him from off-campus recruiting.

Folks don't want to mention that now because it takes away from their obsession today; "let's all jump on Mullen."

Another thing I'll throw out there that's not being said. Florida, and its fans, miss Jeremy Foley. Stricklin has them in this mess.

Now, if Tim Walton would move on, as well as O'Sullivan and White and they leave it to Stricklin to hire their replacements... 😈

There are a lot of people jumping on Mullen right now. He's easy prey and does himself no favors when it comes to how he handles himself and the media.

However, I don't see mention of the fact he can not recruit off campus now. He's under a show-cause for the 2021 year which bans him from off-campus recruiting.

Folks don't want to mention that now because it takes away from their obsession today; "let's all jump on Mullen."

Another thing I'll throw out there that's not being said. Florida, and its fans, miss Jeremy Foley. Stricklin has them in this mess.

Now, if Tim Walton would move on, as well as O'Sullivan and White and they leave it to Stricklin to hire their replacements... 😈

I get the show-cause, and it's a big deal. I think the implication is, and probably reality, that Mullen isn't thinking about recruiting all the time. He isn't having his staff hit it hard. And Dan isn't doing all that he can do despite the show cause. JMO.

I do think Mullen is a good coach. I do think Kirby is blowing by him because of recruiting.

BTW, Richardson is a worse QB now than Emory Jones. Playing Jones actually would've given Florida a chance to win. Richardson gave them zero chance.

I'd thought of Mullen as a great teacher, taking 3-star talent at Ms State, and producing a pretty good product. He took the dumpster fire that is Ms State and won a lot of games. I was really expecting him to light it up at UF.

His team’s performance this year isnt coming to his aide either...lol

But....looking closely.....
Played bama well...
And ....played uga well...( throwing out score...from the last2 minutes of first half)
but overall... ( if uga is that fantastic)
Defense wise....o still a mess
But a couple other games...yicks

There was the debate a few weeks ago about USCw or LSU being a better job. This is one of the many reasons why no coach would entertain an opening in the middle of the season. There will be multiple jobs available. We already have USCw, LSU, Washington State and TCU jobs open. Florida and Michigan (if Harbaugh can’t beat Michigan State or Ohio State) are possibilities. Whoever takes these jobs (most likely they will come from good programs) will create openings in their existing programs. COVID saved several coaches from getting axed last year. It won’t this year.

There was the debate a few weeks ago about USCw or LSU being a better job. This is one of the many reasons why no coach would entertain an opening in the middle of the season. There will be multiple jobs available. We already have USCw, LSU, Washington State and TCU jobs open. Florida and Michigan (if Harbaugh can’t beat Michigan State or Ohio State) are possibilities. Whoever takes these jobs (most likely they will come from good programs) will create openings in their existing programs. COVID saved several coaches from getting axed last year. It won’t this year.
No mulligans this year in coaching....because of covid...
But not only will the jobs open youlisted...but the openings from HCs moving from one to other...
Being a top flight assistant this year may get you a good HC job...
@louisana ( 😄USL...to me)...Cincinnati....other G5s....

Back
Top Bottom