| FTBL Outside The Lines

the_rolltide said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
One thing I really hope he takes a look at is the length of the field. Maybe he will check into expanding the regulation field size by 30 yards in length. That would make for much more excitement and a tougher challenge for the athletes.

Expanding? So every stadium would have to be rebuilt!
Im not trying to jump on you. But if you want to expand a field, talk to Canada. They play football up there.
But expanding American College Football would be crazy! Lets go ahead and add 20 feet to a a basketball court. Add 30 feet to a tennis court. Make a soccer field EVEN bigger. Make baseball's center field 675 feet. Lets let 13 players play instead of 11. Or let there be 5 outfielders in baseball. Or 7 v 7 in the NBA.

If you expanded the field. You would have to change the entire game. All the stats would be thrown our the window and then you would have to change HS and NFL fields also.

No way, the stadium would not have to be expanded. All that would be required is to move the goalposts back and use the endzones as regulation field.

Not a big deal. I hope Obama changes a lot of things. College football needs it.

BAMAFSTBACK said:
Did you stop taking your meds or something?

Did I stop taking my meds? I am only commenting on the jazzy things our next president may be able to do to spice up football a bit.

He is going to help us all and probably rejuvenate the game. Another thing he needs to look into is stripping Notre Dame of that sweet television contract they have with NBC.

CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:

Did I stop taking my meds? I am only commenting on the jazzy things our next president may be able to do to spice up football a bit.

He is going to help us all and probably rejuvenate the game.

Hopefully he does get the playoff. I'm all for that.

BAMAFSTBACK said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:

Yeah, me too. I hope he doesn't stop there. Lot's of things could be better concerning the college football game. Too many white coaches for one. That really needs to be dealt with.

lilstat said:
You just dont stop do you ? lol President Obama and 85% of the Country think we should have a playoff.

The President-elect goes against the best interest of the SEC and the University of Alabama in this case.

We will lose money if we go to a playoff system. And, quite frankly, the teams from the MAC don't deserve the $$ the SEC brings in with what we do.

Some of you guys need to realize why we don't want a playoff.
In one breath you don't like the NCAA and their decisions and now you want to put the money generated from the current system in their hands?

There's a reason they sued to get the TV rights, etc., out of the NCAA's hands in the 80's.

CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:

Yeah, me too. I hope he doesn't stop there. Lot's of things could be better concerning the college football game. Too many white coaches for one. That really needs to be dealt with.

Plenty of crummy ones for sure! No matter what color they are!

BAMAFSTBACK said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
BAMAFSTBACK said:

Plenty of crummy ones for sure! No matter what color they are!

Would Altie put the coach that "cusses" the fans on that list?

TerryP said:
lilstat said:
You just dont stop do you ? lol President Obama and 85% of the Country think we should have a playoff.

The President-elect goes against the best interest of the SEC and the University of Alabama in this case.

We will lose money if we go to a playoff system. And, quite frankly, the teams from the MAC don't deserve the $$ the SEC brings in with what we do.

For several years, I thought we had to have a playoff, but looking back I'm fine without one. The National Championship has never really been an issue. For me the winner has been cut and dried since the BCS replaced the Bowl Alliance.

TerryP said:
lilstat said:

In one breath you don't like the NCAA and their decisions and now you want to put the money generated from the current system in their hands?

There's a reason they sued to get the TV rights, etc., out of the NCAA's hands in the 80's.

The problem is, we have a playoff. It starts the first Saturday in September and ends the first Saturday in December. It's what makes college football so much better than NFL.

A plus one in years needed would be good, as well as every BCS conference having to play a championship game. Other than that, leave the sport alone.

rammajamma said:
Would Altie put the coach that "cusses" the fans on that list?

Oh Lord, let's not get back into that. I have always thought Coach Saban was the best coach in college football.

I do feel that Obama could demand that at least half of all head coaches in 1-AA football be black though. Maybe more than half. I can't wait to see what changes he will make in the game.

Argo said:
TerryP said:
lilstat said:

The problem is, we have a playoff. It starts the first Saturday in September and ends the first Saturday in December. It's what makes college football so much better than NFL.

A plus one in years needed would be good, as well as every BCS conference having to play a championship game. Other than that, leave the sport alone.

Well put.

TerryP said:
lilstat said:

It shouldnt be about the money. Its too bad it is though. :(

Argo said:
TerryP said:
lilstat said:

Quoted for truth. My exact thoughts. I love college football, because every game is a playoff game!

lilstat said:
TerryP said:
lilstat said:

If college football had governmental oversight, money could be distributed more equally.

In fact, the government could also get a large cut out of all revenue from all programs for monitoring them and helping them along.

Maybe that is what college football needs, a governmental agency used to regulate it and control it.

I hope Obama looks into something like this also.

Yea We need a playoff that way we can just schedule cupcakes like Idaho,Idaho State,Utah st.,New Mexico st.,so.miss.,bol. green,hawaii,fres.st.,nevada,new mex., and then play a powerhouse like oregon and say well we beat everybody on our schedule! we deserve a shot at the NC Please give me a break! :roll:

lilstat said:

If it wasn't about the money we would be watching from the sideline on the quad my friend. We would be watching regular, unexciting people play and coach.

It's easy to be idealistic and say "it shouldn't be about the money". Idealism is fine but not realistic. You can't have it both ways. You might want to watch average frat boys play football in an open field. If that is the case go check out some of the intramurals because that is what you get when there is no money involved.

CtrlAltieDel said:
the_rolltide said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
One thing I really hope he takes a look at is the length of the field. Maybe he will check into expanding the regulation field size by 30 yards in length. That would make for much more excitement and a tougher challenge for the athletes.

Im not trying to jump on you. But if you want to expand a field, talk to Canada. They play football up there.
But expanding American College Football would be crazy! Lets go ahead and add 20 feet to a a basketball court. Add 30 feet to a tennis court. Make a soccer field EVEN bigger. Make baseball's center field 675 feet. Lets let 13 players play instead of 11. Or let there be 5 outfielders in baseball. Or 7 v 7 in the NBA.

If you expanded the field. You would have to change the entire game. All the stats would be thrown our the window and then you would have to change HS and NFL fields also.

No way, the stadium would not have to be expanded. All that would be required is to move the goalposts back and use the endzones as regulation field.

Not a big deal. I hope Obama changes a lot of things. College football needs it.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

So make the endzone part of the playing field? That means you would have about 1 yard to catch the ball and be in the endzone. If you go farther you are out and if you short your not in the endzone....

JacobGibson05 said:
CtrlAltieDel said:
the_rolltide said:
CtrlAltieDel said:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

So make the endzone part of the playing field? That means you would have about 1 yard to catch the ball and be in the endzone. If you go farther you are out and if you short your not in the endzone....

If I'm not mistaken, Altie's post was ^^sar .

Back
Top Bottom