| FTBL ou to forfeit 2005 season(link)

They seem to have gotten off pretty light. Two years probation, no loss of scholarships, no TV or bowl ban when they can prove THREE players were paid for work which was not performed?

Considering that OU kicked the players off the team as soon as they knew what was going on, I think the penalties are fine. The forfeiture of all wins for the 2005 season may actually be a little overly harsh.

Bama Bo said:
Considering that OU kicked the players off the team as soon as they knew what was going on, I think the penalties are fine. The forfeiture of all wins for the 2005 season may actually be a little overly harsh.

I concur.........

and you smell funny.

RTR
BamaSon25

Porterhouse said:
Kevin4Bama said:
Actually they are not forfeited, they are vacated. It's like they never happened. No win no loss.

It is like something out of Back to the Future.

They should be forgeited not vacated. All the teams they lost to in 05' don't get credit for a win?

I know this will not be a popular answer. When I run across these situations I try to put it in my court and ask myself. If Alabama wouold have been in the same situation, what would I think is fair?

Considering OU found out and immediately self imposed sanctions on themselves as well as kicking thier starting QB off the team (which is a huge deal). I think the penalty the NCAA hit them with was a bit extreme. The scolly's for a program like OU is not that big of a deal considering the athletes they attract. But to make the forfiet or disregard the wins I think is wrong.

Lets face it. Something like this can and is happening at other schools on a regular basis. Only problem is they are not getting caught.

To punish the entire team for this is crazy. There is no way the school is going to catch everyone doing this. Some, by nature of the buisness, will slip through the cracks. The important thing is what happened when OU found out. They took care of the matter as far as I am concerned.

OU is alot like Bama believe it or not. The NCAA does not like them and they are on a short leash while the USC's of the world get a way with murder. By the way, what about the Bush problem at USC? Did they lose scollys over that> Did they forfiet any games? Clearly a lopsided favor over one than the other.

"vacating" or "forfeiting" those wins is really pretty meaningless as penalties go. In theory we forfeited all the games in 1993 that Antonio Langham played in, but as a practical matter we only remember that we were 9-3-1.

Rest assured that Bama would be in the midst of the death penality if a player's folks would have gotten a house from a agent. I agree with most everyone else. OU saw the problem (perhaps not as soon as they should have) and fixed it. They did the right thing by not trying to hide the affair and by kicking their best QB off the team. The forfeiture is too much in my opinion, it encourages teams to hide their misdeeds.

USC gives away real houses, Auburn gives away fake educations... nothing happens. BYU gives its walk ons a hamburger supper as thanks for being tackling practice for the season and it gets an infaction (granted, not too severe). Such is life in the NCCA.

Forgive the double post, but I forgot my all time favorite NCCA hypocrisy. Once upon a time back in the early 90's the NCCA cited Utah's basketball program for a violation. The violation was for Utah's head coach buying a player a dinner. The dinner wasn't a T-Bone steak or lobster tail. It was a cheap meal, something similar to a Waffle House breakfast. The player in question just learned of the death of his father. The coach in question was the one charged with breaking the bad news the young man early in the morning.

I won't ever begin to comment how wrong this case was, save to say that one must either be blind or lack any sort of soul to work for the NCCA.

During ray Perkins tenure at Bama one of his players drowned. Memory escapes me as to whom, but Perk chartered a bus and took all the other players to a funeral. This was a violation of NCAA rules and Perk knew it, but he self reported and did it anyhow.

At that time his son was a high school football player and Ray commented that he violated an NCAA rule by going to watch his son play. He did it anyway. Some of the rules, then and now, are ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom