| FTBL OT: Shooting at Temerson Sq. (4th and 23rd) leaves 16 injured.

TerryP

Staff
At least 16 people were confirmed wounded, four critically, when a gunman opened fire in Temerson Square early Tuesday. Photo Galleries

As of 3:30 a.m., no deaths had been reported and the gunman had not been apprehended, according to a source close to the investigation. The source said the events leading up to the bloodshed may have started in Northport and continued into the area of Fourth Street and 23rd Avenue in downtown Tuscaloosa.

Police have called a news conference for 10 a.m. today to provide updates on the case and the search for the suspect.

The gunman fired into the Copper Top bar, which sits on the corner of Fourth Street and 23rd Avenue. The damage appeared to be confined to Copper Top.

The source requested anonymity because the person was unauthorized to release the information.

Police could not comment on the size of the crowd at the bar, but Riley Dunn, a University of Alabama senior who was injured in the shooting, estimated that there were between 80 and 90 people.

“We were all just shooting pool and hanging out,” said Dunn, whose leg was bandaged from what he described as a shrapnel-like wound. “It was kind of loud from the music, but we heard the gun shot and no one really knew what to think. The first gunshot took place, then about 20 seconds later then that's when he really started firing them off. After that everyone really scattered.”

Justin McDaniel, who was at the scene with his wife Heather and Dunn said there were trails of blood in the area around Copper Top. And while McDaniel's wasn't injured, his shirt has large splotches of other people's blood from running through the bar.

A large showing of the Tuscaloosa Police force descended upon the area soon after reports of the shooting were made. Downtown Tuscaloosa was placed on lockdown, but some officers began clearing out at approximately 2 a.m.

The Tuscaloosa Police alerted the public to the violence at about 1:30 a.m. via its official Twitter feed and asked the public for help on locating the suspect.

No information was immediately available on the identity of the shooter, what the motive for the shooting may have been or whether anyone specific was targeted.

https://twitter.com/TuscaloosaPD/status/225166782929977346/photo/1

AaronSuttles: RT @TuscaloosaPD: Nathan Van Wilkins has 18 Attempted Murders, 1 Shooting into Occupied Dwelling,1 Shooting into Occupied Building charg ...

AaronSuttles: RT @TuscaloosaPD: Nathan Van Wilkins has 18 Attempted Murders, 1 Shooting into Occupied Dwelling,1 Shooting into Occupied Building charg ...

More...

A friend of mine was at his doctors office today. The Dr. happens to be an LSU fan. The conversation when like this...

Dr.: Did you hear about the shooting incident in Tuscaloosa?

Yes.

It ends up it was only three people hurt. A Bama fan said it was 17.

I had to laugh a little.

A friend of mine was at his doctors office today. The Dr. happens to be an LSU fan. The conversation when like this...

Dr.: Did you hear about the shooting incident in Tuscaloosa?

Yes.

It ends up it was only three people hurt. A Bama fan said it was 17.

I had to laugh a little.

Well played.

Sad situation, it feels like those words are said too often these days. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

Back
Top Bottom