| FTBL OSU Fan Opinions

• Thread starter imported_RollTideRandy
  • Start date
I

imported_RollTideRandy

I’m seeing a lot of posts from Ohio State fans today talking about how well SEC fans seem to pull together and support one another. Most are talking about how every fan of Michigan, Purdue, Penn State, Wisconsin, and so on threw their full support toward Florida and LSU in the Title Game the last couple of years. SEC fans however, are quick to get behind their conference brethren and quick to congratulate them after a victory. They say SEC fans have a lot of pride toward their team and their conference, Big 10 fans however only have pride and loyalty for their team.

They were saying that this is the reason why Ohio State was not able to beat a team from the SEC team the last couple of years. They are saying that no one will ever beat an SEC team in the title game until their conference adopts the same philosophy as the SEC. When you play Ohio State in the Title Game, you are playing against Ohio State. When you play against LSU in the Title Game, you are playing against the entire SEC and that’s tough to overcome.

I find these sentiments to be complimentary and wanted to share them. What do you think? Is the SEC a tighter knit conference than all the rest? Is that what makes the SEC the BEST overall conference?

RollTideRandy said:
I find these sentiments to be complimentary and wanted to share them. What do you think? Is the SEC a tighter knit conference than all the rest? Is that what makes the SEC the BEST overall conference?

are these sentiments complimentary? possibly.

yes, i think the SEC is a tighter-knit conference than the rest.

is this what prevented OSU from winning? of course not.

but in a way, the attention, be it hatred or support, that fans of SEC teams give to their conference rivals indirectly makes the conference better because the interest inevitably leads to greater bowl revenue for the conference members, which eventually improves the football programs in the conference.

This game didn't really test my SEC allegiance. If it had been the barners or the viles in the NC game, I'm not confident I could have pulled for the SEC school. I did catch myself pulling for Wisconsin to beat the viles.

psychojoe said:
This game didn't really test my SEC allegiance. If it had been the barners or the viles in the NC game, I'm not confident I could have pulled for the SEC school. I did catch myself pulling for Wisconsin to beat the viles.

I feel the same, it's different when the Viles or the Barn plays for the NC. Other then that I root for any SEC team when playing for any bowl game.

A guy in our newsroom, an LSU fan, asked me this morning if everybody on the Bama message boards was crying in their beer over the LSU win. I told him for the most part we were happy as a dead pig in the sunshine (what the heck does that mean? It sounded good). He found it hard to believe that we, as Bama fans, would pull for LSU in the big game. I explained (in simple terms so he'd get it) that an LSU win was an SEC win and made us all look good. He continued to have this blank stare on his face. Just didn't understand at all.

psychojoe said:

Mine either. It was tough for a number of reasons to pull for LSU but in the end my hatred for the overrated, trumped-up media darlings at Ohio State was all it really came down to.

For reasons known to themselves the announcers were going orgasmic over OSU, especially after they went up 10-0. I almost got nauseous when late in the game they started talking about what a young team Ohio State is (where have we heard that excuse before), and how they could well be back in the BCS championship game next year.

Even the TV people should figure out that a game next year between OSU and say an 11-2 Georgia team would not be a ratings triumph nor would it command the high dollar advertising that they depend on.

I'd love to see an eight team tournament to decide it all, including the big bowls in the first round.

SEC champs
Big 12 champs
ACC champs
Big East champs
Pac 10 champs
At large
At large

For the last spot I'd have a play in game featuring the Big 10 champ and the conference that Hawaii and Boise State play in.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I pulled for a wormhole to open into infinite space during the 3rd quarter and suck everyone in the dome into the vortex.

Didn't happen, but I wished really, really hard.

Bamapossum said:
If it makes anyone feel any better, I pulled for a wormhole to open into infinite space during the 3rd quarter and suck everyone in the dome into the vortex.

hahaha! that was great. That's something I usually wish for when the barn visits UcheaT. :lol:

I know I'm in the minority..

But I can't possibly root against a team so much during the regular season and then pull for them in the postseason because they're in the same conference.

When Auburn or Tennessee or LSU or Florida, etc... play anyone, I want them to be physically, mentally, and emotionally crushed. Period.

Bamapossum said:

It is impossible for Fulmer's ass to be in both Knoxville and New Orleans. :roll:

Paradox said:

But I can't possibly root against a team so much during the regular season and then pull for them in the postseason because they're in the same conference.

When Auburn or Tennessee or LSU or Florida, etc... play anyone, I want them to be physically, mentally, and emotionally crushed. Period.

Same here. I don't really grok the SEC-brotherhood thing at all. Inter-conference rivals don't magically become pals just because they're playing a team from another conference.

laurajmoss said:
Paradox said:

Same here. I don't really grok the SEC-brotherhood thing at all. Inter-conference rivals don't magically become pals just because they're playing a team from another conference.

I know this will shock all you regulars, but I agree. :D

I didn't root for LSU or the SEC in the least. I can't say that I really rooted for Ohio State, but it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if LSU had lost.

Then again I don't go to other SEC websites or ESPN. The whole "which conference is better" argument means nothing to me.

The only thing I care about is Alabama and until someone shows me how LSU winning another NC helps us it is meaningless to me. Now maybe if Alabama had a situation like AU did in 2004 as an SEC team we would get the nod (unlike AU did in '04) simply because of the last 2 NC's won by the FL and LSU. That would be the only way I see it benefiting us.

BamaDelta said:
laurajmoss said:
Paradox said:

I know this will shock all you regulars, but I agree. :D

I didn't root for LSU or the SEC in the least. I can't say that I really rooted for Ohio State, but it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if LSU had lost.

Then again I don't go to other SEC websites or ESPN. The whole "which conference is better" argument means nothing to me.

The only thing I care about is Alabama and until someone shows me how LSU winning another NC helps us it is meaningless to me.

Yes, all of this newfound solidarity is amusing. Not too long ago the talking heads were saying we're the conference that is so vindictive and vengeful we were on the edge of destroying each other, and now we pull for each other? Barnwash.

Conference pride (masked regional pride) is usually the first reason given to pull for an SEC team in an NC game, but doesn't it make Bama's road to success more difficult? It's got to be a bit more difficult recruiting against a reigning NC.

Also, if we're all for conference (regional) pride, what about State pride? Do we want our fellow Alabamians to excel? Yes? No? Think about it. Would any of you (other than our comedy relief aubrun posters) really pull for aubrun to win a national championship? If you think you would cheer aubrun in a NC game, perhaps a little soul searching is in order. Really.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom